Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck!

Hi Spring,
    Remember when I was at Dr. Lenke's , and Karen was there too? We met briefly. I saw your post and feel so terribly bad for you, as I went through the same thing. But it was last May I had revision and I am doing fine.(eight mo. Out) I thought the surgery was like the first , except I knew what to expect.. But as with any surgery ,the first few days are the toughest. I don't know how they're doing your surgery. Dr. Lenke completely removed all my hardware , and put all new in, and added more reinforcement. You will do just fine. I know it's hard to start over, but you may feel better than ever. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sending you warm thoughts, Linda
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

hello Linda,

Yes I do remember meeting you, so glad you are doing well now. I was scheduled for surgery in the morning.... but at 7:30 this evening I received some bad news, my surgeon is stuck in Colorado and can't make it back in time so we will have to reschedule...ugh. I am at a point where I NEED this done now, aside from the pain, walking has become increasingly difficult. Thank you for your kind words, I will post again when I find out new surgery date.
      Spring
      42 yrs old
      Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
      was told my curves would never progress
      at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
      2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
      new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
      Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
      Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
      Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
      Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
        hello Linda,

Yes I do remember meeting you, so glad you are doing well now. I was scheduled for surgery in the morning.... but at 7:30 this evening I received some bad news, my surgeon is stuck in Colorado and can't make it back in time so we will have to reschedule...ugh. I am at a point where I NEED this done now, aside from the pain, walking has become increasingly difficult. Thank you for your kind words, I will post again when I find out new surgery date.
        Spring, I'm sorry to hear of the delay, as it's so hard to wait when the pain is so bad. I feel for you completley! Walking became an issue with me too, before Lenke did my revision last May. Oh, I fee for you Spring!
        I pray your surgeon gets home soon, and gets you fixed as soon as possible! Sincerely, Linda
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Hi Spring,

This is terrible news--and it also happened to me. My broken rods revision was bumped by 5 days or so for an emergent case. I was crushed to say the least. I just wanted to get out of pain and onto the road to recovery. I know you do, too.

Hang in there, I am sure they will get you scheduled very soon.

Take care,

Gayle
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Spring,
            Oh, no! I can't imagine how upsetting this rescheduling has to be for you, especially since you are in pain. I hope your surgery can be rescheduled soon. You and Gayle keep having so many similarities so I'm sure you will follow in Gayle's footsteps and feel so much better when you have the surgery and this pain behind you.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you ladies, my new surgery date is scheduled for this Thursday at 10:30am.....so glad I don't have too much longer to wait! A mistake was made with the way my oxycontin script was written and so the pharmacy would not fill it, looks I will just have to suffer a little more, at least I still have hydrocodone. It has been over a month now that both of my rods have been broken, I'm really hunched forward now and cannot force myself to stand up straight at all, it is becoming increasingly harder and more painful to walk. Gayle, did that happen to you as well?? I'm becoming concerned that something else is going on now.
              Spring
              42 yrs old
              Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

So sorry!

Spring, I couldn't stand up either before either surgery. I was so pitched forward that the pain was almost unbearable. So I feel your pain. And it's no time to rant, but I can't believe you aren't getting better pain control. Mistake or not, how can they think of doing that to you! I guess I can feel those rods piercing your body and the pain that goes with it. So it's hard for me not to say anything. One more day girl! Can you take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, as a break through med?you poor girl~~ I just thought the Ibuprofen might take some of the swelling down.( anti inflammatory) I will be praying for you. You will come out the other side better than ever! Gentle Hugs! Linda
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

"Can you take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, as a break through med?you poor girl~~ I just thought the Ibuprofen might take some of the swelling down.( anti inflammatory) I will be praying for you. "

I was told a couple weeks ago that I can't take any ibuprofen before the upcoming surgery. Okay maybe I will stop worring about becoming hunched over and the walking then, if it also happened to you. Thank you for your empathy Linda.
                  Spring
                  42 yrs old
                  Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Hi Spring,

I am glad Linda replied to you above…I remember her situation being similar to yours. I didn't have the same problem standing up straight, but I also didn't have to wait so long after both rods were broken to get them fixed. I did have increasingly severe pain and extreme muscle spasms as I waited for surgery. I was also told no ibuprofen for 10 days prior to surgery. I am so sorry you're having such a rough time.

Thursday will be here before you know it. We'll all be thinking good thoughts for you. Don't forget to stock up on some laxatives for after surgery!
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
                      "Can you take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, as a break through med?you poor girl~~ I just thought the Ibuprofen might take some of the swelling down.( anti inflammatory) I will be praying for you. "

I was told a couple weeks ago that I can't take any ibuprofen before the upcoming surgery. Okay maybe I will stop worring about becoming hunched over and the walking then, if it also happened to you. Thank you for your empathy Linda.
                      Spring, I remember now about NOT taking Ibufrofen before surgery. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Remember, it's surgery, so be strong those first few days, and ask for pain control if you need more. That's their job to keep you comfortable so you can start to heal. When you're feeling good enough , let us know how you are. Thoughts and Prayers!! Linda
                      May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a very quick recovery !
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Sending you pain free thoughts and wishes for a rapid recovery! So sorry about the problem with your pain prescription. Too bad that the pharmacist could not clear it up with your doctor.

I will be looking for you're postop posting and news that you are on the road to recovery!

Hugs, Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts your way. Good luck!
                            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Spring,
                              I hope everything went well with your surgery today and that you have a smooth recovery. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Linda and Gayle have both experienced revision surgery and have to be an inspiration to you since they are doing so well. Please post when you are able. Sending gentle hugs your way.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Healing Prayers!

Spring,
                                Just want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers . Now that the surgery is over, let the healing begin~One day at a time. You can do this Spring! You're strong! And it gets better before you know it! I hope the pain control is working. Bye for now~~~Linda
                                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Working...
                                X