Taking a night off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a night off

My 11 yr old daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis last sept at an examination for school sports.
    Since then she wears a night time brace. She is doing OK with it and has worn it every night without fail(except one night when she felt sick to her stomach part way through the nite).
    She is considering going to a sleep over with friends and some other girls she doesnt know too well. She is very concerned about how the others will take seeing her in a brace and how they will treat her.

So I would like some opinions on what others think about letting her skip wearing it for that one night.

thanks for any opinions/advice

Fahsai,

Please by all means reward her for her cooperation with the brace by giving her this one important night off! One night off in the scheme of things is nothing. I am quite sure her orthopedist would say that was fine if you asked, also. I think this type of small concession/reward goes a long way to pave the way for continued acceptance of the brace. She will have lots of fun and get to forget about her scoliosis for one night, which is really important.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I agree completely with Gayle.

But to ease your mind, maybe you could ask your surgeon. Ours answers emails (or I mean his nurse does).
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I agree 100% with Gayle and Sharon. I would absolutely give your daughter the night off.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

one happy girl

Thanks for the opinions/advice.
          I agree that a special night for her would be a nice reward for putting up with the brace.

I let her know that all of you agree and she is so happy.

thanks again

Comment

Just to let you know,
            she had a GREAT night with her friends at the sleep over and now is back to wearing the brace without complaint.
            I think it was a really good reward for being so good about wearing it.

Comment

Hi Fahsai,

That's wonderful news! I think it is so important to give some tangible rewards and reinforcement to these kids for wearing a brace.

We had a horrible time with a full-time brace at our house when Leah was 6, so we ended up paying her $1/day of wearing it with a minimal of complaining. Her grandmother matched that amount. Our little girl made bank for awhile with her brace. You do what you have to do!!
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by FAHSAI View Post
                Just to let you know,
                she had a GREAT night with her friends at the sleep over and now is back to wearing the brace without complaint.
                I think it was a really good reward for being so good about wearing it.
                I think you absolutely made the right decision 100%!!!

And please rest assured, that in the grand scheme of things, you did no harm whatsoever. In fact, in the long run, you probably made it much easier for your daughter to comply with brace wear.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                X