Keeping your back warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping your back warm

Hi folks...it's been a while and my daughter is doing awesome, wonder if any of you are familiar with the common aches and pains and if you have any tricks to keeping from getting so cold in below subzero temps. She is complaining of aching hips and some lingering tension in areas. Sensations of pinches, pokes and needles. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas IMG_1531.jpg
    Proud mommy of a beautiful 15 year old daughter
    **diagnosed 10/2010** "Thorasic mid 20*'s Lumbar high 20*'s"
    **as of 12/2012** "Thorasic 49* Lumbar 52*"

after 4/30/13 surgery she is straight as an arrow!
    GOD BLESS THE SHRINERS & HOSPITAL STAFF & DR GUPTA

Hi! Looks like your daughter and I had surgery about the same time. I have noticed that being cold really increases the muscle pain, tightness, and spasms in my back. I bought a mattress pad heating unit for my bed and I lie down on it for relief. I also use a heating pad. All of those options would be difficult to use at school. Let us know if you come up with other treatments that work.
    I hope that your daughter is doing well.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thank you! I have been considering that, but she has a tendency to forget to turn it off, and I had heard that the electricity was bad for the body...(not sure if that was real or just a trend)
      Proud mommy of a beautiful 15 year old daughter
      **diagnosed 10/2010** "Thorasic mid 20*'s Lumbar high 20*'s"
      **as of 12/2012** "Thorasic 49* Lumbar 52*"

after 4/30/13 surgery she is straight as an arrow!
      GOD BLESS THE SHRINERS & HOSPITAL STAFF & DR GUPTA

Comment

i find that wearing a vest under or over clothing really helps. I even sleep with it on. Added heat from the body feels so much better.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

Relief from heat

Therma care heat pads are not inexpensive but they provide me with a lot of pain relief. The heat lasts fr 8-12 hours and I appreciate the relief that is not narcotic nor processed throught my GI system. I buy them in bulk packages from Costco- and it's some of the best money I spend!

Comment

annm I been having pinches too the same way your daughter is. I would recommend her use a few more blankets then she normaly uses at bedtime with a heater some where close to her bed it has helped me a lot.
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

With the snow and freezing temps here I have noticed using a heating pad at home really helps, but then in my low back I alternate that with ice packs which sound crazy but helps with the tension.

I loved the idea of the therma heat pads, I think I may check that out.

Tamena
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Working...
              X