Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been reading the form since Sept. & learning so much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck, Shari!

Shari,
    It's been a long, stressful wait, but it will soon be behind you and you can start the recovery process. You are in the best of hands with Dr. Lenke. We will all be sending positive thoughts your way on Monday. Be sure to have Jerry contact me so that I can post for you.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Good luck. Hope all goes well
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Shari: you are on competent hands. Unlike in school when you had to study and work hard before tests, on Monday, all you need is to show up buck naked with your insurance card.

Take some deep breaths and relax. In some ways, the most difficult parts are behind you, such as deciding to have surgery and setting a date. The process has it's own momentum now, so get on train and ride!

Sending healing thoughts your way,
        Susan....one year out, only minor pains and problems, the best decision that I have ever made!
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

How did your tests go today?
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Echoing Karen's thoughts..how did Today go?
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
              Echoing Karen's thoughts..how did Today go?
              Shari--This is wonderful you got a cancellation! Now you don't have all those anxious months to wait! You are going to the best place possible for your back. Very best wishes for Monday's surgery--many positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Getting closer

Thursday & Friday were quite hectic with testing, etc. We met with Dr. Lenke Thurs. aft. I was a little dismayed that both curves were 7 degrees greater than they had been in Dec. Could have been somewhat due to variables but it cemented my belief that I am doing the right thing. He did mention that he hoped he could complete the surgery in one day but due to me being very tiny there was a possibility that it may take 2 days. The chances of requiring 2 days is very low.
                Late Friday aft as we were walking a few blocks from the hospital we received a call that the urine test showed a urinary tract infection & we needed to get back to hospital pharmacy before 5:30 to pick up prescription. It was 5:15 at that time. Made it back & started on antibiotics.
                Spent yesterday doing the tourist sight seeing. We did the trolley tour, arch trip, visited Stadium Village. Went out for a nice dinner last night since I felt I would not have a great appetite today
                I think I kept so busy the past couple of days it really didn't hit me until I woke up this morning. Have a feeling today is going to be teary-eyed. We're going to go to mall, etc. Anything to keep busy.
                Again thanks to all for your thoughts & prayers. Karen (golfnut) will be in contact with my husband & be posting for me. Thanks Karen.
                Susan, I love your posts - they often provide me with a chuckle. I wish I could meet all of you!! It's weird to feel as if I have friends I've never seen!
                Thanks again. As I look at the time I think tomorrow at this time I will be halfway done.

Comment

Surgery Underway

Shari's husband, Jerry, has stayed in touch with me this morning with updates. Shari had to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. I believe the surgery started around 8:30. At 1:30, Jerry said that Dr. Lenke is about 1/2 through with the surgery. Hopefully, he is on target to complete it in one day. (Shari mentioned that it was a slight possibility that he would need an extra day) Dr. Lenke has reported to Jerry that Shari is doing fine. I'll post later this evening when I know more.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Surgery Over So the Recovery Can Begin

Jerry called about 7:00 after talking to Dr. Lenke. Shari made it through the surgery fine. Dr. Lenke was pleased and thought that he was able to achieve about a 70 per cent correction. Shari lost quite a bit of blood, but apparently not any unusual amount and it wasn't a concern.
                    Thanks, Jerry, for the updates today. I am so happy that Shari is doing well.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

To my Ex-twisted Sister,
                      I am returning from my 1 year visit with Dr. Hu at Stanford, so I have mostly been wrapped up in me and have not been on the forum regularly. How exciting that you have had your surgery and are on the mend finally! My advice: patience, take drugs, prevent constipation, just survive!
                      Sending good vibes your way.
                      Hugs to your family who are taking care of you,
                      Susan
                      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Shari--
                        This sounds like very good news! This was like a flashback because your day, timing, tests, etc. were all the same as mine. Hope your results work as well for you. Good luck and many positive thoughts for a great recovery. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Karen

Thanks for posting this very good news!.....Glad to hear it was a single procedure....

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thinking of you!

Shari, I just got on the forum and am catching up, I see where you just had a big surgery. I want to send you healing thoughts and know each day is better. You had and have a great surgeon. He's my surgeon. I'll be out one yr. The 31 st of May.(T/4 to pelvic) it was tough that first few days. But you are going to feel better all the way around as time goes by.. That's my prayer for you. It's one day at a time now.i Warmly, Linda
                            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                            This started adult onset scoliosis
                            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                            May 30th 2013 revision
                            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Shari Called!

I was playing golf when I noticed a voice message and couldn't believe that it was from Shari! Shari's husband, Jerry, was so kind giving me updates on Monday and Tuesday, so that I could post on the forum. Shari sounded absolutely amazing and very upbeat, especially after going through this major surgery on Monday. Her surgery lasted 12 hours and she lost 14 units of blood. The PT had her standing yesterday and sitting in a chair. She went for her first walk in the hallway today. She thought she would probably get to move to the attached Parkway Hotel on Monday.

I know she is pleased with the correction that Dr. Lenke was able to achieve. I saw Shari in Florida before her surgery and can't wait to see her new posture with a beautiful straight back!
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Shari, so glad that you are up and moving. If you get discouraged, call one of us! Congratulations and you are on your way to the rest of your life! Hugs....ever so gently, Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X