Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been reading the form since Sept. & learning so much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shari's Update

I have been talking to Shari and her husband, Jerry, almost everyday. Her surgery was on Monday, May 5th. The original plan was that she would be transferred to the Parkway Hotel, which adjoins Barnes-Jewish Hospital, on Monday, May 12th . Her platelets are too low, so she is hooked back up to an IV to get the count up where it should be and is still in the hospital. Shari thought that she might be in the hospital another week. Hopefully,they will be able to fly home to Sarasota, FL soon after being released from the hospital. Shari isn't complaining much about pain, but is getting pretty bored. I'm sure she would appreciate positive thoughts and prayers sent her way.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Shari--
      Glad the pain isn't too bad for you. I'm sure it's a bummer to have to stay longer but you're in the right place. Better to get all that taken care of before you even think about going home and then having problems. Take care and keep getting stronger. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Out of the hospital

Shari's platelet count has been improving, so she was released from the hospital. She has certainly been through a lot. She will get a recheck on Monday and fly home to Sarasota on Tuesday. Shari is the ONLY person that I have met before and after the surgery. She looked so amazing when I visited her today. I just couldn't believe the difference in her posture and height. I will let Shari do her own posting from now on whenever she feels like it.
        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Shari: sending prayers for healing!
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Shari Update 5/25/2014

This is being posted for Shari by her husband, Jerry. First and foremost Shari wants to apologize for not posting sooner. She feels it is very important
            to be back posting because the forum has meant so much to her during this total process and she fully intended to be back on line much sooner than this.
            As some of you may know, while the surgery itself went extremely well Shari developed an allergic reaction to the Heparin that was used to flush the central line
            placed days before the surgery. The reaction, commonly known as HITS, caused a reduction in blood platelets from 200,000 or so to a low for Shari around
            16,000. The situation was discovered the day after surgery and with testing and monitoring was being treated within days. The reaction causes a thinning of the
            blood but an ironic danger of clotting.

So, in addition to the normal pain management medication Shari in injecting herself daily with Arixtra until transitioning to Coumadin for an additional
            three months. The injections should terminate soon as she has met exceeded the baseline count of 100,000 at 159,000 the day before we left St Louis last week.
            She will meet with her local doctors this coming week and they will monitor blood and control the transition process. The bottom line is that Shari is sorry that
            she is not feeling ready to resume the forum updates quite yet.

A brief post surgery synopsis: Shari was released from the hospital, a couple of days later than anticipated, on Friday May 16, 20214. We stayed at the Parkway Hotel until Tuesday May 20. One final blood test cited above was conducted on Monday, May 19. The "extra" hospital days are great, so don't push to get out.
            The Doctors, Nurses and all the staff at BJH were outstanding. Very professional and with such positive attitudes and pleasant smiles it always felt that Shari was
            in good hands. I would also note that the staff of the Parkway was very supportive and went out of their way to assist in any way possible. We left the hotel around 1:30 pm and walked in our door in Sarasota around 9:30 pm. We tried to keep the trip as short as possible but with no direct flight we made the best of it.
            We were very fortunate that our connecting gate in Atlanta was only two gates away from arrival gates so at least we did not have to use the tram system.
            Everyone that helped get us home went out of their way to assist us. The cab driver was so concerned about keeping the trip smooth, the wheel chair attendants
            all along the trip were so careful and efficient, the flight attendants and even the pilots went out of their way to help us.

Our friends and family in Florida and around the country, as well as "forum" friends have been very supportive with thoughts and prayers , words of encouragement and direct assistance of many kinds. Thank you all. A special thanks to "golfnut" for being Shari's unofficial guide throughout. I hope we can
            assist someone else as you have helped us. "Paying it Forward" is a legacy we will offer to continue as it is needed.

I have rambled enough for now. Thanks to all for your support and Shari looks forward to getting back on line asap

Make It a Great Day................................Jerry Rogers (SHARIRO)

Comment

Glad that all has worked out . Tell her I am praying for her
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

So glad you made it home! I was sorry to hear about your complications. The details of the trip are helpful to those of us who haven't had surgery, yet. I plan to have surgery in St Louis, but not with dr. Lenke. Dr. Buchowski wants me to stay in St. Louis for a full month after surgery. I need to question the necessity of that request. It's a long time to be away from home.

Hope you feel stronger each day! Thanks for having your husband give us an update!
                Peg
                61 yrs old
                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Jerry,
                  Thanks so much for posting for Shari. I have been thinking about her since she was released from the hospital. I know the flight home had to be difficult. Please tell Shari that this is the toughest part of the journey to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. She will get there and eventually be happy that she chose to have surgery. Each month is a tiny bit better than the month before, but it is a slow process for sure! Shari is fortunate to have such a supportive, caring husband. I am glad to have met both of you and look forward to seeing both of you in Sarasota in February. Shari will be 9 months post-op and will be feeling so much stronger than she does now. Give her a gentle hug from me.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Shari--Good to hear from your husband and nice of him to put in so much detail about your experience. Feel no worries about not posting. I don't think I did for a LONG time--or if I had they wouldn't have made any sense! Sorry there were some set-backs. With this surgery, complications seem to be to frequent and unavoidable. Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes to Florida. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                    X