X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumbar correction

It's also possible in adults?

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...anEntrekin.pdf
    'Thus, it is believed that it suffices to fuse the thoracic curve, while allowing the lumbar curve to correct itself.'

I suppose is also possible in adults. I have heard about some cases. I'm not sure which kind of explanation may have, but I’m thinking is against the ‘official’ hypotesis, saying is all a matter of bones. In the zone where vertebras where fixed, it not sounds as something illogic, but in the others of course is not logic to thinks that bones has something to do. The curve in that zone is reduced and bones are exactly the same!. I suppose is a matter of untwisted ligaments. Does someone knows?

Comment

Compensatory lumbar curves spontaneously correct, sometimes completely, when the structural thoracic curve is straightened and fused. The lumbar tends to correct to match the straightened thoracic curve. Well known.

So in my one kid who was hyper-corrected to no residual scoliosis in her thorax, her lumbar corrected to no scoliosis. She has a straight spine.

The other kid was corrected to mid 20* in her thorax (correcting more would result i a high left shoulder) and her lumbar corrected to match to be in the mid-20* range. The spine wants to be balanced apparently and will correct to balance if it is not too stiff.

There are adults on this forum whose compensatory lumbar curve corrected just like it does in kids. I am not sure that is necessarily the case in older, stiffer spines though.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Compensatory lumbar curves spontaneously correct, sometimes completely, when the structural thoracic curve is straightened and fused. The lumbar tends to correct to match the straightened thoracic curve. Well known.

So in my one kid who was hyper-corrected to no residual scoliosis in her thorax, her lumbar corrected to no scoliosis. She has a straight spine.

The other kid was corrected to mid 20* in her thorax (correcting more would result i a high left shoulder) and her lumbar corrected to match to be in the mid-20* range. The spine wants to be balanced apparently and will correct to balance if it is not too stiff.

There are adults on this forum whose compensatory lumbar curve corrected just like it does in kids. I am not sure that is necessarily the case in older, stiffer spines though.
        Yes, is a well known fact in kids and teens and it seems to be true also in adults. Osteopaths seems to be right when they says that the body tries to does adaptations.. I suppose they only may be done through muscles. It seems really reasonable to believe that flexibility is necessary.. probably the force done by muscles would not be enough to straightening a stiff spine. I would want to know if could be another requirement probably not fulfilled by an older spine.

Comment

Working...
        X