Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with osteoperosis? Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with osteoperosis? Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty?

Hi there,

I am actually posting on here for my friend's father. A few months ago, her father (in his 60's) had a sudden onset of severe back pain and went to the hospital to discover that he had a fracture in L3...After tests were run, it was discovered that he has osteoperosis...He was given a brace to stabilize him, pain meds, and I believe they got him on a forteo regimine...

Within the past weekend his pain became much more severe, so he went back to the hospital, where they discovered there were two more fractures....L1 and L5....So a total of 3 fractures...L1, L3 and L5...The doctor is recommending a vertebroplasty and/or kyphoplasty to solve the issue.....

I just wanted to see if anyone has underwent this procedure, had a similar experience, or had any advice that I could pass along....I feel for him...Since I know how much pain he's got to be in...I know I was....But I also know that my recovery (being younger) was/is a lot quicker/easier....(I'm 28 - 10 1/2 months post op from a T2-L3 Fusion to correct my Scheuermann's Kyphosis).

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Thanks so much in advance!

Hannah

I don't know what those procedures are, but my grandmother had basically an injection of cement to fix a fractutured vertebrae. Easy procedure and took all her pain away. She was over 90 at the time.
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
    X