Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEPTR to Avoid Proximal Junctional Kyphosis

Hi...

I participated in a webinar this evening. One of the sessions was by Robert Hart of Portland, OR, who has been using VEPTR (titanium rib) implants to combat proximal junctional kyphosis. (VEPTR implant technology was developed for treating early onset scoliosis in very young children.) He has 15 patients so far, and no catastrophic failures. I was skeptical, but I have to say that the xrays look really good. Only time will tell if it's really a solution.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

That's very encouraging news Linda! I'm guessing that this is a possible fix for PJK that stays below the cervical region, is that right?

Comment

Wow--Dr Hart is my doctor!
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
        That's very encouraging news Linda! I'm guessing that this is a possible fix for PJK that stays below the cervical region, is that right?
        Hi Toni...

Not sure how to answer this. The VEPTR is not meant to fix PJK, it's meant to keep PJK from happening in the first place.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Oh I see! Sorry, I misread. How long does the VEPTR stay in place following fusion surgery?

Anything that can help combat PJK is very encouraging.

Comment

hmmm....not sure what VEPTR is...but the term sounds like a scary poisonous snake!! (VEPTR...VIPER)

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 08-07-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Vertical Expanding Prosthetic Titanium Rib I think
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Oh I see! Sorry, I misread. How long does the VEPTR stay in place following fusion surgery?

Anything that can help combat PJK is very encouraging.
                It's anchored to the ribs. I can't find any images of xrays of the VEPTR used in adults. Here's what the device looks like:

http://www.surgicalspotlight.ca/Arti...er=Winter_2010

Comment

By the way, while we're on the subject of PJK, I have to take a moment out to brag:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23848349

Comment

Nice one Linda! I know several children who have had the VEPTR here in the UK, mainly to help with thoracic insufficiency in cases of congenital scoli, but they're not used as permanent rods. I was wondering how long an adult would be expected to have the implant in for, in order to combat PJK?

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      By the way, while we're on the subject of PJK, I have to take a moment out to brag:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23848349
                      Very cool!
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Nice one Linda! I know several children who have had the VEPTR here in the UK, mainly to help with thoracic insufficiency in cases of congenital scoli, but they're not used as permanent rods. I was wondering how long an adult would be expected to have the implant in for, in order to combat PJK?
                        They're not meant to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          Very cool!
                          Thanks Sharon!

Comment

Very cool indeed, Linda!
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                            X