New here - 2 weeks post-op, fused T10-pelvis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough day (rough couple days, actually)

Ugh. Constipation and stomach pains. Then the next day diarrhea, and waves of nausea and dizziness. Then I was trying to fix something down on the floor and I think I accidentally "bent" my spine. I know it won't actually bend because of the hardware in there. But it was stupid of me to attempt any activities like that and I should be a good patient and just go get back in bed before I jeopardize any of the beautiful work that's been done on my spine. But it's finally sunny here in New York and the idea of laying in bed sounds depressing. And I can't believe it but I'm even getting tired of reading. I want to get out and work on my garden, or just do something productive! I should just knock it off, because it was my own brilliant idea to have this surgery, and I'm glad I did, and I think it turned out great. So I should just go be a patient patient and stop all this nonsense of trying to do stuff! I need to just let myself heal. I think I will go take a walk. The nausea and dizziness seems to have faded for now. I'm guessing it's the Gabapentin causing that. I'm considering going off it. I promise I will taper off gradually. And I promised my husband I wouldn't do anything about it until I called my doctors office. I'm still searching for a solution to the constipation. Miralax and Milk of Magnesia just cause diarrhea. I can't believe I'm even discussing this on a public forum. Hopefully no one googling me will ever see through my clever username! Anyhow, all I eat is fruit, kale salad, oatmeal, ground flax seed, and occasionally a tiny bit of meat or fish. Can anyone recommend some kind of med for the constipation that is more gentle? I've read there are teas. Maybe I will try one of those. I also have Sennacot, which I haven't tried yet. Should I try it? I'm afraid to try anything else since the Miralax and Milk of Magnesia were so yucky. Sorry for this incoherent rant. I've been overly-emotional since the surgery, which I suspect I can attribute to the oxycodone. Sigh. I want my life back, AND I want my new perfect spine. Patience. I need to have patience...
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Comment

Have you tried warm prune juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

All Bran Cereal

Or try All Bran cereal for breakfast, recommended to me by a GI doctor. It's 51% fiber and really effective.
        60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
        58 years old

Comment

My abdomen pain and lack of regularity was far worse than any back pain. It was hard for me to get the right combination of laxatives, stool softeners, fiber, etc. It finally improved once I got off of the pain medication. You WILL get your life back, but just be patient now so your spine can fuse. It's so worth it! I had grabbers in every room of the house and did a ton of walking. No golf for over a year, but . . . now, I'm riding my bike, tap dancing, and playing golf. I celebrated my 4th hole-in-one last week, but it was my first since back surgery. You will get there. This is the toughest time and it takes an incredible amount of patience.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
            Have you tried warm prune juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?
            Have not, but I will try tomorrow morning!
            Fused T10-Pelvis.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
              My abdomen pain and lack of regularity was far worse than any back pain. It was hard for me to get the right combination of laxatives, stool softeners, fiber, etc. It finally improved once I got off of the pain medication. You WILL get your life back, but just be patient now so your spine can fuse. It's so worth it! I had grabbers in every room of the house and did a ton of walking. No golf for over a year, but . . . now, I'm riding my bike, tap dancing, and playing golf. I celebrated my 4th hole-in-one last week, but it was my first since back surgery. You will get there. This is the toughest time and it takes an incredible amount of patience.
              Karen - No golf for a year? Considering your username is "golf nut" I imagine that was pretty hard!

I did in fact head out to the garden today. My mom bought me this little scooter thing to sit down on while pulling weeds. My husband helped me give it a try but unfortunately it was a no go. Too low to sit on, but not low enough to reach the weeds. I was able to reach a few weeds in the flower bed. I did some deep knee bends to grab them up, then used the fence to pull myself back up. But after a few of those I'm worn out for the day. But at least there's fewer weeds now when I look out my bedroom window as I rest...

Thanks everyone for the support. I think I've reigned in my emotions a bit for now :-) I hope!
              Fused T10-Pelvis.

Comment

Originally posted by the_baroness View Post
                Karen - No golf for a year? Considering your username is "golf nut" I imagine that was pretty hard!

I did in fact head out to the garden today. My mom bought me this little scooter thing to sit down on while pulling weeds. My husband helped me give it a try but unfortunately it was a no go. Too low to sit on, but not low enough to reach the weeds. I was able to reach a few weeds in the flower bed. I did some deep knee bends to grab them up, then used the fence to pull myself back up. But after a few of those I'm worn out for the day. But at least there's fewer weeds now when I look out my bedroom window as I rest...

Thanks everyone for the support. I think I've reigned in my emotions a bit for now :-) I hope!
                Baroness,

I don't think you're supposed to do deep knee bends. If I remember correctly, my discharge papers were saying no squatting for three months if fused to sacrum. I am four months post-op, fused T6 to sacrum and I still do not squat and use grabbers instead. And also, sitting on that scooter is not a good idea either because you probably brake your 90* restriction while doing it. Your knees should not be higher than your hips while seating, which means - avoid any low chairs. Take it easy.
                Last edited by Irina; 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM.
                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                X