New here - 2 weeks post-op, fused T10-pelvis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here - 2 weeks post-op, fused T10-pelvis

Hello - I have been trying to post to this forum for some time, but have been having technical difficulties. I wrote a long post introducing myself, but it never appeared, so I'll try again with something shorter. I've had scoliosis since I was a teen, and I am now 41. My curve was 49 degrees. I had my surgery with Dr. Errico on June 18 at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. I am recovering slowly, and have good days and bad days. I'm really looking forward to "meeting" everyone on this forum, as your words have been so helpful in planning my surgery, and given me great comfort as I navigate my recovery. I hope this post works!
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Welcome
    To nsf
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You will make relationships and connections with many here. Good luck during your recovery. It can be stressfull, but I'm sure you will find comfort here.
      Tamena
      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Welcome to the forum
        Hope your recovery goes well
        Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I had to smile reading "ask me about my new lordosis" in your signature. You will get lots of answers here and make wonderful friends. Best of luck with your recovery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your new lordosis - this must feel wonderful. First month is difficult, but slowly you'll have more good days then bad days. Hang in here and ask all the questions you have. People here are very supportive and they helped me a lot during my surgery planning and recovery.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I'm so happy to have finally made contact with you all! I'm exhausted and sore, and the daily walking has me tuckered out, but every time I walk past a shop window, and glance at my reflection and see the new arch in my spine, I think it's worth every minute of pain I've endured since my surgery. I used to have what I considered to be a terrible case of flatback (although my doctor said it wasn't the worst he'd seen). My spine sort of curled under, so I was not only c shaped side to side, I was a little bit c shaped front to back too. And I know cosmetic considerations should be secondary to medical necessity when deciding to have the surgery, and I decided to have the surgery because of debilitating pain and immobility, but getting a pleasant new shape is such a bonus! I feel like I've been given a reward for my pain and suffering. My new lordosis is a gift that I will treasure. I just want to heal now so I can go out on the town and show it off! Kidding. I'm fused to the pelvis. Not sure if there's going to be much dancing in my future. But still. I am grateful. Thanks to you all for the warm welcome!
              Fused T10-Pelvis.

Comment

Welcome! It took me a long time to be able to post also. But it is worth it in information and understanding. Take it slowly at first. My first surgery was like yours--but I fractured level above and had to extend the fusion. I did that in the 6th day after surgery. So do be careful !
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                Osteotomy

Comment

I would like to welcome you to the forum also. I too received an new lordosis. I hope your recovery goes well so that soon you can get back to doing the things you love. I don't post a lot anymore because i am so busy living life but will be slowed down for awhile with a total hip surgery.

Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I am fused t4to the sacrum and I can tell you that dancing is definitely in your future. I tap dance and jitterbug, but, of course, not until I had permission. The cosmetic improvement is a bonus. You will be amazed at the compliments you will hear once you are comfortable enough to go out.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I am fused T2-Pelvis and I can tell you that dancing is definitely not in my future. Not because I cant tango, its because dancing was made to make guys look, you know, dorky....(smiley face)

Just joking....

Keep your spirits up, it’s a hard time for you right now, the immediate recovery part can be a rough period.

Do you live in the city? Yes, I’m an old Jersey transplant. You know, out west. lol

Welcome to the forum....

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hey,

You sound very coherent for 2 weeks post-op. congrats & welcome!!

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I agree, I didn't even think about the computer for 3 weeks!

I love my new lordosis as well! The surgeon didn't tell me he was going to do that, but I'm so glad he did! Agreed, it's a reward for going through this surgery.

Welcome to the forum!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            I am fused T2-Pelvis and I can tell you that dancing is definitely not in my future. Not because I cant tango, its because dancing was made to make guys look, you know, dorky....(smiley face)

Just joking....

Keep your spirits up, it’s a hard time for you right now, the immediate recovery part can be a rough period.

Do you live in the city? Yes, I’m an old Jersey transplant. You know, out west. lol

Welcome to the forum....

Ed
                            Yes, I'm in Brooklyn. Anyone else out there live in NYC? I could use a walking buddy. Two days ago I put my sneakers on for the first time. Laced them up with the elastic laces that came in the hip kit, then used my super-long shoe horn and my grabber to put them on. Took me about 45 minutes but I eventually got them on! I can do much longer walks now. Geez, everything takes so long, just to accomplish the simplest of tasks! I see now why they asked me to take 4 months off of work. I will need all that time just to get dressed every day.
                            Fused T10-Pelvis.

Comment

There are a few New Yorkers here, but I don’t believe anyone is from Brooklyn....Try using walking sticks or ski poles. Years ago, I guess scoli patients needed to pack an M60 for daily trips, but I guess that’s not the case now. (smiley face)

Recovery is a long slow process with its ups and downs. Try to take it easy right now, you are VERY VERY early.

Keep daily notes on your meds, food, walking, BM’s etc.

Remember that with the walking, do multiple short walks each day. One long walk will not make you heal faster, it will only set you back in pain. My full recovery took me a long long time, so be prepared, and be patient. One day at a time.

Hang in there, Eyes on the prize.
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X