Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bridge pose

http://sp.depositphotos.com/5823955/...-isolated.html
    I believed it was impossible to do it with a big curve but not. I certainly don’t know if I should to encourage my daughter to do it or to not do it. I believe traction is something really good and in fact it seems to be a super traction. I suppose is not possible to get a greater disc decompression, but I cannot avoid to be afraid when I see her doing that pose. What I should to do?

This pose should be avoided.
    "The most deadly action you can take is to internalize someone else's negativity, for once you start to believe it, you’re sunk."

Comment

Originally posted by Victine View Post
      This pose should be avoided.
      Thanks for your reply Victine. Why you think it?
      I like your signature.
      Last edited by flerc; 06-01-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Victine, I didn’t say my daughter seems to have a great flexibility. At least until some months ago I saw all her vertebras aligned when she was lying down over (her curve) one shoulder and hip (I showed a photo to many professionals and all of them was very surprised) so I think they are also aligned (probably just only something less) when she is over her back, what she does to do this pose. So, If her spine is not (or not too much) twisted, I don’t know if it could be somrthing harmful.. but what I could know..

Comment

Hi Flerc,

http://schrothmethod.com/about/yoga-for-scoliosis-menu

Check this site out. It can explain why it is probably best not to do that pose.
          "The most deadly action you can take is to internalize someone else's negativity, for once you start to believe it, you’re sunk."

Comment

Thanks Victine! Is something good to see people talking about these issues here.
            I remembered bad, they were not referring to rotated vertebras but for all what they says in this site. The Schroth’s conculsions has always very much sense really.
            Anyway I’m not so sure that in every case, none of these points has a good side.
            • Bending backwards
            • Twisting the torso
            • Bending sideways
            • Bending the rib cage

Also I’m thinking in bending sideways (Side shift exercises?) but with the spine the more aligned that may stay.

Is logic what they says, but I’m not sure if always a lordosis increment, would be something bad with scoliosis. And also, if this exercise really increase lordosis, should not happen also in people without scoliosis? I’m not sure if it could be true.
            I suppose they always assume the exercises would be done with the spine twisted. In this case is logic to think it would be bad to bending backwards.

What they says about abdominal muscles, also has much sense of course, but really I don’t know if en every case should be something bad, even I believe something similar could be necessary. I remember once (many years ago) after performing an extreme abdominal routine, I forgot to do the spinal extension exercise and the following day I had to stay in bed, it was impossible for me to stand up.
            Of course is impossible to be something extreme, but my daughter is practicing Arabig dance and I’m not sure how much the abdominals are demanded.
            Also I continue thinking there is not something provoking a disc decompression comparable to the bridge.

I think they should have mentioned the good side of doing this exercise. Probably my basic anatomy knowledge is not enough, but I suppose a traction treatment as done with PT or machines cannot get the same disc decompression as this exercise. I cannot imagine what happens with the joints during traction, is not much clear for me the distance between vertebras may increase, but is clear that the frontal sides of adjacent vertebras should to increase in a very significant way doing the bridge.

I believe is something from ancient weastern cultures the habit to do a spinal extension, after hard physical works, standing up and bending backwards with both fists on both hips. And I feel respect for ancient cultures.
            And I just found this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...tural-control/
            I have talked years ago with Mckenzie professionals, but unfortunately if I not remember bad, they not analyze the scoliosis problem.
            Last edited by flerc; 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I used to be able to do this pose with ease even walking my hands toward my feet and grabbing my ankles rolling forward with my legs and standing up. The last time I tried it I was 28. I did the pose but felt extreme pain in my upper back. I didn't know at the time that I suffer from hypokyphosis. It would make sense that for those with hypokyphosis it would drive the spine even further inward toward the sternum. It also made my lower back hurt, especially when getting up from the pose. I'm not sure what harm it does to the scoliotic spine since everyone has a slightly unique curve pattern. It's interesting to look at which part of the back bends the most. It is a very common move in gymnastics.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
              X