Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sally's continuing saga

Hi all,
    I guess I should update all of you about my visit with Dr. Hey. From my CAT scan he told me and showed me the degeneration going on at level L1L2 and said that when the quality of my life gets unbearable, that he would operate and do either an xlif or a plif, can't remember which one he said and replace my existing rods and extend my fusion to that level. He said the recovery from that surgery would be much easier than my original surgery. However, the problem at hand right now is a painful right hip and he isn't sure if my pain is coming from my hip or from my back at the L1L2 level. With that as the question, he has ordered an MRI of my lumbar just to find out just how much my nerve roots at that level are pinched because he can't tell from the CAT scan. My local orthopedic Doctor said that my hip shows moderate arthritic degeneration, but since I can't take anti-inflamatories for the pain, he would not have a problem doing a total hip replacement surgery at this time because it is inevitable that the hip would just get worse. I am scheduled for the MRI on Friday, so I will know more after that.
    Here's to no pain for everybody.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Sally,

I am sorry that this is happening to you. Please let us know what is happening. You have a top notch surgeon working with you. Dr Hey is wonderful. Say hi to him for me.

Prayers

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

So sorry to hear this news, Sally. I am praying for you. Keep us updated, friend. It's been a long road, and it's not going where you wanted it to go right now. Hang in there-- it sounds like you are doing what you need to and are under good care. Hugs.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh Sally I am also sorry to hear that you are having pain. I hope they can figure it out for you. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

i'm so sorry to read this, Sally...
          but i do hope you can get some answers, and that
          you will be guided as to what is best to do next medically...
          hope you feel better...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Sally,
            I'm also sorry to hear this. But you have been in pain with your hip for some time if I remember correctly. With moderate arthritis in the hip, I would guess that the pain is coming directly from your hip unless it is radiating from somewhere else like your buttock through the hip. In that case I would guess the spine. The thing with osteoarthritis, I have been told, is that the degree of degeneration doesn't always determine the degree of pain. Sound familiar? Degree of curve doesn't correlate with degree of pain? The human body is a complex thing.

I'm surprised that Dr. Hey couldn't see the nerve roots with a CT scan. Did you have a myelogram done first? That's where they inject dye into your spinal canal prior to the CT. They can really see a lot when they do that. I hope your MRI gives a better clue to what's going on.

Take Care.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your concern. Getting old is not for sissies. No one on this forum is a sissy. I hope I can get my hip done in the summertime when it is too hot to do anything outside.

I did not have a myelogram with the CAT scan. I go tomorrow for the MRI. At least, MRI's are not painful except to the ears.

Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Good luck Sally. Keep us up to date, won't you.

That saying was on a birthday card I bought for my ex father in law who then, was turning about 88 (now 90) and had his share of aches and pains. He got a real laugh out of it.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Girlfriend! Bummer....getting older was my downfall too! I hope that you find some answers to your pain. While I am excited with my results so far, I dread the degeneration of the cervical discs that were seen on the MRI. But, I am going to take this one step at a time. I wish that we lived closer and we could have a cup of coffee. Take care, sending good thoughts your way. Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Oh Sally....

I’m sorry this is happening....

The MRI’s are not too bad.....it helps to be slightly deaf like me....(smiley face)

Like Susan says, “One step at a time”. I always thought of this as a recovery aid, but now have to remember to think of this every single day now.

Thoughts as a revision patient are different.....we know and have knowledge but we have to be stronger or at least I feel that way now....Walking a true test of patience, waiting once again to be pain free. Bravery does not seem to be the main factor....we have that licked...

The MRI should answer more questions....your in good hands.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Well, I just got my MRI report from Dr. Hey and no surprise to me there was too much artifact from the existing metal in my back to see anything at the L1L2 level. Anyway, Dr. Hey had a radiologist review my CT scan and although there is central stenosis from the bulging disc at L1L2, it is not bad enough to be causing the hip pain. Conservative treatment for the spine for now which is good news. Now I have to contact my Orthopedic Doctor in town to find out when he can schedule me for the total hip replacement.

Thank you all once again for your concern. Ed, I hope you can get your pain under control without more fusion. Susan, the next time I am in Seattle, we will definitely have that cup of coffee. What a great bunch of people on this forum. I wish we could all get together for a cup of coffee or something stronger.

Comment

I would love to meet you and have coffee or something stronger! Keep me posted for your trip to the Northwest.
                        I hope that you are able to sort everything out.
                        Hugs, Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I wish that we all could get together. It would be great to meet and see one another in person
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Sally--
                            Oh, I hope they can fix your pain in a relatively "easy" way. You've done so well for so long! And, yes, Melissa, that would be a great get-together. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                              I finally got in contact with the Orthopedic office and am now scheduled for a total hip on July 8th. I am glad I could schedule in the Summer because most activities in our little harbour cease in the Summer because it is too hot to do very much and a lot of people head North to cooler climates. I will stay in my nice air conditioned house except when they make me start walking daily.
                              Love to you all, Sally

Comment

Working...
                              X