No announcement yet.

The SECRETS to bowel control post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiping after a bowel movement is the hardest thing for me to do well (besides sex). I used the tongs until about 6 weeks post op and then moved to flushable wet wipes. There is no way I can wipe front to back unless standing and squatting, which I was able to do at about 10-12 weeks post op. Now, at 7 months the easiest way for me to clean myself is to stand up and face the back of the toilet and lift my right leg onto the toilet seat. I then proceed to wipe with flushable toilet paper.
    Hope this helps...
    Happy wiping,
    Heidi
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

bidet toilet hose with hand help spray without twisting.

You must try the bidet hose. Can buy it thru Amazon and very easy to install. My husband attached the hose holde to the wall next to the toilet seat. Nothing cleans better than a shot or shots of water directed to the right place. Front and back with no problem. then wipe dry.

Silly that no one tried my suggestion.
      Gardenia
      Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
      pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
      Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
      T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
        Wiping after a bowel movement is the hardest thing for me to do well (besides sex). I used the tongs until about 6 weeks post op and then moved to flushable wet wipes. There is no way I can wipe front to back unless standing and squatting, which I was able to do at about 10-12 weeks post op. Now, at 7 months the easiest way for me to clean myself is to stand up and face the back of the toilet and lift my right leg onto the toilet seat. I then proceed to wipe with flushable toilet paper.
        Hope this helps...
        Happy wiping,
        Heidi
        Thanks for the very explicit directions. I need that! I will send you a PM about sex....seems to be a challenge for us.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
          You must try the bidet hose. Can buy it thru Amazon and very easy to install. My husband attached the hose holde to the wall next to the toilet seat. Nothing cleans better than a shot or shots of water directed to the right place. Front and back with no problem. then wipe dry.

Silly that no one tried my suggestion.
          I will look into it. Let me see what the plumbing looks like. Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Please don't keep the sex talk private! I'm sure all of us S1 folks need all the help we can get. ;-)

My take was spooning is easiest in early days. After a year other basics work. We did joke that if we were going to follow Dr. Lenke's instructions ("person who had surgery supported by the mattress, but shouldnt bear any weight, either) we were going to have to suspend my husband from the ceiling!

Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
              Please don't keep the sex talk private! I'm sure all of us S1 folks need all the help we can get. ;-)

My take was spooning is easiest in early days. After a year other basics work. We did joke that if we were going to follow Dr. Lenke's instructions ("person who had surgery supported by the mattress, but shouldnt bear any weight, either) we were going to have to suspend my husband from the ceiling!

Evelyn
              I agree with Evelyn. Let us all get some helpful information
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Irina started a blog before her surgery asking the basics about how and what to do and it seemed that we didn't get any specifics on actually how to have sex. Now I am 8 weeks out and am afraid to hurt my back and my husband feels my anxiety. We have been married for 41 years and have had a great sex life together and now we are not sure what to do. My back hurts when the brace is off and Lord knows we can't have sex with me wearing that thing.
                Susan
                PS....it is somewhat humorous that we ended up having the conversation about sex under the title of bowel habits. Good grief!
                Last edited by susancook; 05-07-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

I think there are older posts, maybe under "intimacy"... I don't remember right now. But they get into the nitty gritty.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have no tips in the sex department... my poor husband would say this is definitely the down side to the surgery. For me, It takes an extreme amount of work to climax and moving with him is extremely awkward. We manage, but our great sex life has turned into just taking care of business
                    The easiest way for me (to please him) is to scoot to the edge of the bed and he is standing. It takes his weight and pressure off of me but it's not like I move very well with him in this position...
                    me on top works, but I find it difficult and awkward to get into a groove that feels natural and comfortable and I can't keep going long enough to please him...it is way too much work! (BLUSHING HERE)

maybe we need to try a swing or something...
                    Best,
                    Heidi
                    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                    53*T 71*L
                    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

I have no tips in the sex department... my poor husband would say this is definitely the down side to the surgery. For me, It takes an extreme amount of work to climax and moving with him is extremely awkward. We manage, but our great sex life has turned into just taking care of business
                      The easiest way for me (to please him) is to scoot to the edge of the bed and he is standing. It takes his weight and pressure off of me but it's not like I move very well with him in this position...
                      me on top works, but I find it difficult and awkward to get into a groove that feels natural and comfortable and I can't keep going long enough to please him...it is way too much work! (BLUSHING HERE)

Best,
                      Heidi
                      No swinging from a chandelier, Heidi :-) But seriously, thanks for the tips.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Heidi,
                        I have the same problem. Pre-surgery it worked better with me on top, but now that just strains my lower back/hip area too much. It is okay with him on top if he keeps most of his weight in his arms. However, I can't really move then. So basically we're left with pleasing him and pleasing me separately. I haven't gotten really adventurous yet, though. Perhaps some nontraditional positions would work better. Do they have occupational therapy for this?! ;-)

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Best,
                          Heidi
                          Thanks for the suggestion about being on the edge of the bed. I am thinking that that just might work...for him at least. One out of 2 isn't bad. We are both so worried about hurting my back. If we could just figure out something with my brace on....now that would be funny even if we were gymnasts! Somehow I am having problems figuring out positions where I do not stress my back. I am also worried that in the heat of the moment, that one of us would forget about my back and I would twist or turn. The only recommendation from my doctor is for me to be in a "dependent position". That's not much help. The first surgeon that I saw, I asked about how couples have sex after surgery and his comment was," they just do". Not too helpful. Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                            Heidi,
                            I have the same problem. Pre-surgery it worked better with me on top, but now that just strains my lower back/hip area too much. It is okay with him on top if he keeps most of his weight in his arms. However, I can't really move then. So basically we're left with pleasing him and pleasing me separately. I haven't gotten really adventurous yet, though. Perhaps some nontraditional positions would work better. Do they have occupational therapy for this?! ;-)

Evelyn
                            Maybe we could look at the book on Kama Sutra? Susan

Comment

Again, I don't know if there is something in this thread that might give you ideas: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...light=intimacy
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I am sure that you guys think that I am stuck on poo and sex, but I really do have a life.
                                Question: which pill gives smelly farts? It is really embarrassing. Possible culprits might ferrous gluconate, colace, senna.
                                Suggestions?
                                Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X