Hip pain caused by scoliosis...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks Irina
    and Sally...i do not know how i missed reading your post..
    thank you so much for your kindness...i sent you a private message...

susan...thank you for the example of your own experience.

appreciate the good wishes from all...
    jess...and Sparky

Comment

• I used a watering can for a bit to refill dogs' water bowls. Now I squat down on one knee to pick up the bowl. ;-). You'll learn to be creative.

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      to Ed, Jen and Spring Chicken...
      thanks for the kind words and encouragement...

i know that it is fear of the unknown that holds me back,,,
      and every time i bend down to pick up Sparky or change his
      water...the boy doesn't drink....he thinks he is a camel...
      or pick up his toy, i wonder how things would be if i were
      fused...

i know others have done it and triumphed...just do not
      know that i could be in that group...

i also might be doing it essentially alone...

jess...and Sparky
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        I used a watering can for a bit to refill dogs' water bowls. Now I squat down on one knee to pick up the bowl. ;-). You'll learn to be creative.
        I love the watering can idea. I have three dogs and even though my husband is a huge help in caring for them I hate the thought of him having to do everything. I will definitely implement that idea!

Comment

• well, i am the only person who takes care of Sparky...

thanks for the concern and suggestions, guys..
          you are the best

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Filling food bowls for Sparky: You can buy a dust pan that has a long handle at a 90 degree angle to use for raising and lowering the food bowl. You learn to do things differently and some methods are only necessary during the "no bending" period. The long handled grabbers would work for his toys.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• thanks Karen

i do not expect to make decisions Thursday...
              people on forum seem to think i have decided...
              i have not decided.

thanks for the encouragement.
              jess...and Sparky

Comment

• I know you haven't decided to have surgery, but just wanted to let you know that taking care of a small dog after fusion to the sacrum is doable if you can improvise a bit. I worried that my life as I knew it (I was not in any pain to speak of and was physically active) could possibly be over after scoliosis surgery. Your fears are normal. I put all of my faith in Dr. Lenke and knew that he certainly didn't need patients and would only recommend surgery for me if he believed it was in my best interest.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• thanks Karen...
                  i know how much you loved your sweet dogs.

am off to Manhattan this morning....

best to all...
                  jess...and Sparky

Comment

• saw Lonner today....just got back from Manhattan....Amtrak
                    late as usual....exhausted....

Xray looks almost same as 4 years ago.....lumbar 64, thoracic 41....
                    4 years ago lumbar was 61....anyway....since first time he saw
                    me 10 years ago, lumbar went from 50 start to 64 now....thoracic
                    only went from 38 to 41....
                    he said my ribs look like they are collapsing more onto my hips...
                    so that is part of why i feel worse on right side....everything is
                    curving over to left, and the right side is literally the way it feels...
                    like nothing is there....
                    he said he wants to go T10 or 11....prefers 10....to sacrum...
                    no side incision with cages...he claims my curve is too big for
                    that....no minimal incision by Lonner....maybe Anand in CA would
                    do it that way....not here....
                    that is new...4 years ago he offered me "partial minimal incision"

he wants an MRI lumbar and nutritional lab panel...
                    he is worried cause i weighed 93 pounds today....no appetite...
                    he is concerned for my ability to heal and fight infections....
                    oh...i shrunk again....down to 5'1 and 3/4 inches....
                    original drivers license said 5'4 and 1/4 inches...

thanks to all for encouragement...
                    tired....gonna snuggle puppy and think about all this
                    tomorrow....
                    hugs and woofs...
                    jess...and Sparkily dog

Comment

• Hey Jess,

Do you feel you have enough information to make a decision?
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

he wants an MRI lumbar and nutritional lab panel...
                        he is worried cause i weighed 93 pounds today....no appetite...
                        he is concerned for my ability to heal and fight infections....
                        Jess, you might try my whey protein powder smoothie recipe. This will put on the weight and make you feel better. Its amazing what nutrients can do!!!

Combine that and some marijuana brownies and that should do the trick. (Most have done this in college, that’s the socially acceptable excuse) LOL
                        I saw Led Zeppelin in NYC during the 70’s, that’s my excuse.

I have a friend who had his nephew move in who was 19 and a pot smoker. Anyway, he would get stoned and then get the munchies and hit the fridge pretty hard....What was funny was the fact that my friends wife told me that she had to buy $1000 worth of groceries per week since Kevin was here and that would send them into Bankruptcy court....It truly was financial destruction till they finally kicked him out.

I have had to lose weight, and gain weight for different reasons....I think that losing it is harder than gaining it, but its mostly implementing the plan and following through with it. Your nutritional status is extremely important. It was the deciding factor with my surgeries, with the final decision made by my surgeon ONLY after all the blood work was done.

Opiods, medications, steroids, and chemicals do affect us. They can mask pain but there is usually a stiff price to pay.....

I would ask Dr Lonner what to do about this regardless of any surgical decision. Your BMI needs to be in range....(concerned face)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/bmi-calculator/itt-20084938

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• hi Sharon....i just want to know if Anand is an option...i have
                          to investigate that...as for the east coast, Lonner would be my
                          choice...the west coast still have to look into...

hey Ed....funny....i well remember the munchies in college...
                          the last time i tried pot, it made me so hyper aware of my spine
                          pain i could not stand it, and i never smoked again....that was
                          years ago....i do not know why that happened to me...i think it
                          is wonderful when it helps people with cancer or AIDS, etc...
                          it just doesn't help me...
                          i have had zero appetite since the oxycontin...that is what really
                          killed my appetite...

thanks for the concern...i will figure this out and come to a
                          decision after investigating the west coast possibilities....
                          one good thing would be i could have surgery in southern CA
                          in winter and not worry about being able to exercise outdoors.

woofs from me and Sparky

Comment

• I remember one of the Pain Management doctors saying that they worry about "little old ladies that don't eat well". Nutrition is a big part of healing. Taking OxyContin, I hope is a wake up call for you. After that doesn't work, what will you use? I did not have as long to think about surgery as you have had. I did not want surgery, but I did want a quality of life. I wanted to be in the mainstream of life.

What's your bone density?

I wish you the best. You need to consider your options, yet not over think this! Find a surgeon that you can trust....and let go. Susan
                            Last edited by susancook; 06-27-2014, 07:37 PM.
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• thanks for your concern, Susan...
                              but my mind...my system...doesn't work like that...
                              i was first told i would need surgery 10 years ago...
                              and some people face surgery by themselves, alone, without
                              help.

i got a half dose shot of steroid in my left hip at pain
                              doc and am hoping that helps the burning bursitis pain...

i am going to get the MRI that Dr Lonner wants and also
                              the nutrition panel...
                              i am playing with the idea of surgery....but not sure if
                              sooner or later....like next spring...
                              i still may spend this winter in southern CA....

thanks to all for the concern
                              jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Jess, I almost forgot..... What did Dr Lonner say about your Hip?

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X