Hip pain caused by scoliosis...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks Karen...
    walked puppy today and my left hip never stopped burning...
    so i want to try another half dose steroid shot...end of May
    when i see pain doctor....dental implant surgery rescheduled
    to June 3rd.

no one knows why Sparky does not get thirsty....i wish there
    was a pill to make him want to drink water...
    will see what they say about scheduling his surgery at tomorrow
    nite's appointment with vet.

hugs and woofs

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      thanks Karen...
      walked puppy today and my left hip never stopped burning...
      so i want to try another half dose steroid shot...end of May
      when i see pain doctor..
      ..dental implant surgery rescheduled
      to June 3rd.

no one knows why Sparky does not get thirsty....i wish there
      was a pill to make him want to drink water...
      will see what they say about scheduling his surgery at tomorrow
      nite's appointment with vet.

hugs and woofs
      Jess,
      No offense, but are you nuts? Your cortisol is low, right? I would recommend pain meds until you can figure out WHY your cortisol keeps crashing. I'm really concerned about this and hope you don't do it. Can you even have dental implant surgery with low cortisol?

Very concerned,
      Rohrer01

P.S. My inbox is now empty. ;-)
      Last edited by rohrer01; 05-12-2014, 11:19 PM.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• thanks for the concern, rohr...
        i have one dental surgery left...that should be it...
        and i am sure i have had surgeries before when my cortisol was
        low, since my levels seem to bounce around...
        i have to call the endocrinologist in Manhattan...
        keep procrastinating....upsetting when they don't take
        your insurance...won't know til i call....
        i see endo doc in CT tomorrow...Tuesday May 13th...
        but that will be it...don't like or respect her...
        i am ON pain meds...they do not do much for the burning pain.
        i will discuss getting a shot with my GP, whom i respect the most.

Sparky got two scheduled vaccinations today...poor baby barked and barked at them when they were done....he was not a happy camper...
        and he is now scheduled for another sonogram May 27th..this time they will do a needle biopsy with it...to see if he does need the surgery...
        i expect them to say he does.

thanks again for the concern....have to find a doctor who knows
        what they are doing....good endocrinologists are hard to find...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Hope you get some relief and Sparky does as well

Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• thanks Melissa

Sparky is rescheduled for needle biopsy/sonogram
            tomorrow, May 15th....around 1:00...
            i am worried about him...his breath smells bad and i
            brush his teeth every nite...do not know if it could
            be related to the cysts on prostate...but vet will
            check his teeth tomorrow when he goes in...

he brings so much joy, the sweet puppy...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• the vet that has done his sonograms before did today's...decided not to biopsy....the last sonogram was done by someone
              who doesn't know Sparky...
              the cysts are bigger than 6 months ago, but they are going to wait...i have to bring in urine sample every month and he will get another sonogram in about 3 months...
              they said biopsy is so invasive...this after telling me it doesn't hurt all that much...what do they know?!!

they sedated Sparky at my request...he was shaking with fear when we got there...always does...vet said he was a very good boy....and he was too sleepy to
              bark at them to tell them off when it was over...

getting his teeth cleaned next month...vet said there is some plaque on his teeth....his breath was OK today, of course, since he saw vet...

sweet boy is back home with his momma, where he belongs....

thanks to all who expressed concern...

jess...and Sparky
              Last edited by jrnyc; 05-15-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Hip pain

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                Irina..thank you so much for your kind concern...and your thoughts are much appreciated.
                i hope you recover fully from your surgery, to be pain free.

rohr...so sorry to hear that your shoulder is still causing pain, but
                i am glad the shot helped for now, and that it answered your question.

my daily pain at my right hip is so severe it shocks me....
                i am pretty sure inflammation is involved, but i do not know if worsening lumbar curve is causing the inflammation....
                i need a new spinal X ray anyway, as my latest is from Jan 2012....
                but i never have had a hip X ray...i cannot see anything on my 2012
                X ray that tells me anything is going on at hip level....i do see how the curve gets worse there....
                this pain only started a couple of weeks ago, so maybe a new spinal X ray will reveal something going on there.

you are right, rohr...
                i am very leery about steroid shots...if a doctor told me a very small
                amount of the stuff might help the hip...i still do not know if i would
                risk it...only because there is a chance if my cortisol disappeared again,
                it might not come back...and Addison's disease scares me.

jess...and Sparky
                Jess, our hips were designed a certain way. With your large lumbar curve the mechanics of walking are way off normal and the gait is affected. This is often a cause of trochanteric hip bursitis. IMHO don't bother with more radiation to your hips. Just address your scoliosis which is impacting your quality of life and your health. Fear is your greatest enemy and spoiling your life.

I am still pain free 12 years post-op.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

• Jess-- I don't know if this helps any or not, but I am positive that my scoli caused hip pain for me. I have never been one to wear anything but comfortable shoes past a certain young age (tee hee) but during the few years just prior to my surgery, so many of my shoes caused my hips to ache terribly that I had to give them up. They were just normal short shoes that you wouldn't give a thought to-- but the sole might have had as much as a 3/4" "heel" to them-- enough to tip you forward just a tad. After my surgery they were fine again. At least that is how I viewed it-- tipping me forward... Best wishes. And I agree with Karen. That is what my doctor said-- when your scoliosis interferes with the quality of your life and you can no longer live it the way you want to, you will know it is time to have surgery. He left it up to me, and I decided. I have never regretted it even though it is tough for awhile. It is tough not having it also, and you are not getting anywhere, but progressing backwards. Best wishes as you continue to mull over your options.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• thanks for your kind concern, guys....

must be working on my subconscious...
                    i had a dream i was having the surgery...woke up bothered by it...
                    the dream had an overall violent sense to it...

invading my dreams...not good...
                    one should be able to get away from troubles when asleep!

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Jess,
                      Karen may be right. The longer you wait to fix the spine, the more damage that is done to your hips.
                      Spine surgery is scary, but so is hip replacement. That's eventually where you'll be at this rate.
                      Perhaps if you can fix the spine, you may be spared the hips...???

HUGS,
                      Rohrer01
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• i don't know, rohr..
                        i was told i have bursitis in left hip...right hip now feels the same
                        as left...
                        but the surgery scares me...that there is no sure outcome of less
                        pain...if there were, i would have had the surgery 7 years ago...

thanks for the concern...
                        jess...and Sparky

Comment

• After waiting and living in such pain for all those years, (It was torture) I finally had scoliosis surgery, and healed wonderfully.....

When my cervical discs finally decided to become extremely painful last year after a few pain free (spine) years, I basically lectured and vented to my surgeon about pain....I didn’t want to continue on battling herniated discs anymore!!! For all those years the surgeons were telling me to have scoliosis surgery, and now with the neck, I’m as ready as can be for an ACDF surgery on my neck, but it was a different story..... He was going to manage that with steroids, and diclofenac and it worked. I have taken 2 diclofenac pills in the last 12 months, so that would be considered extremely successful pain management. How many shots does it take to realize that its not successful for the long term? I rejected shots in my lower spine in having 4 lumbar herniation’s, I’m not a doctor, but still didn’t make any sense to me, Dr Menmuir agreed. I had 20 different pain producing problems down there! A lumbar train wreck.

Jess, as you can see I have had 2 different scenarios of bravery and decision making here.....spine and neck. When I wasn’t ready I needed surgery, and when I was ready, surgery timing wasn’t ready. As far as my scoliosis surgical decision, I was too scared and paid a stiff price of major pain through my 40’s. If I could turn back time, I would have done it 10 years earlier. You are in the same exact situation I was in leading up to my scoliosis surgeries.

One of the things that helped me was watching Dr Boachie fix Juma Genda on the Discovery program “Surgery Saved my Life”. I watched that program probably 30 times (with the gore) and figured if Juma could be repaired, so could I. This kid was 15 years old, and knew he just had to do this to save his life.

Your lower spine is as bad as mine was....I wont forget your x-rays.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• thanks Ed...for explaining and sharing...

i fully sympathize with c spine stuff...my recent neck MRI shows i have herniated disc in my neck...i was blaming all the constant neck pain on classic symptom of Lyme...
                            and whiplash accident when undergrad in college...but i have to say, finding out i have a herniated disc in neck did not surprise me...the neck pain is with me every minute of every day...

and even though my cortisol level is still too low, i want to ask for another half dose shot of steroid in hip....bursitis burning pain is hard to take 24/7

i hate that i am allergic to NSAIDS...told to not risk trying another
                            one...the Diclofenac really helped eliminate at least 50% of my pain,
                            but i had to stop after 5 months when i had an allergic reaction.

all said...the pain in my lower back and my hips...especially left hip...
                            is the worst of all the pains i live with...but without NSAIDS, with
                            nothing but narcotic pain meds, the only other med is the shots....
                            and since i have a problem with adrenal function, i have to be so
                            very careful and sparing with those...

i am very glad for you that you were able to avoid surgery on your
                            neck, and that a simpler approach helped.
                            i hope it is lasting relief....you so deserve a break!

jess...and Sparky
                            Last edited by jrnyc; 05-20-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• Jess

You need scoliosis surgery, you know this.....

This will probably be the only time I type this.....but your special.

Somehow, someway, I hope the needed trust and bravery will sink in.....

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• thank you, Ed
                                i appreciate your kind words and effort to help me see things
                                clearly....
                                i know...i know i need the scoli surgery...

i realize with the pain in my neck...literally...that i live
                                with alot more hurting on a daily basis than i care to think
                                about...
                                i do not know that i am as brave as you...and the others
                                who had scoliosis surgery...i especially admire those who
                                are fused to sacrum...that scares me the most...

wishing you a wonderful spring and summer...
                                jess...and Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X