Susan's surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu on 19 and 22 March, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan,
    In my case the guy was just rude and his doctor friend was rude. They did not harm me physically.

In your case I'm not sure if they harmed you or not. If they did, it wouldn't be a waste to proceed with a lawsuit, not because he was rude, but because it delayed treatment. How many times is this guy going to blow someone off like that? The next time could be fatal. The point isn't to ruin anyone's life or getting even. The point of medical malpractice suits is to make sure that this doctor never hurts anyone again. His insurance rates will go up for a while, long enough to remind him to be more thorough. It could make a better doctor out of him/her. It's completely up to you, though. I'm sure you have a little extra compassion for those with medical responsibility.

In my case, I may file a complaint against the one. But like I said, they've already gotten rid of the other one. So I will probably do nothing.

You need to focus all your attention on getting as well as you can. It looks like my very near future will be including a walker. I'm getting more unsteady by the day. Those two falls last week and the ensuing concussion really shook me up.

Take care!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• I wrote a long reply and it was not saved. I am tired and feel crappy and can't walk and am tired of sitting in this wheelchair.
      S.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Bummer of a day

A pulmonary embolus at 0700 can ruin your entire day.
        S.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
          A pulmonary embolus at 0700 can ruin your entire day.
          S.
          Glad the outcome wasn't MUCH worse.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Susan,

Sending prayers for healing & much less need for that wheelchair. I know you're working hard & focusing on healing. I hate that this happened to you. Thanks for keeping us updated & keep that sense of humor!
            Peg
            61 yrs old
            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Susan I have no words to make this difficult time of your life easier but do know that we are traveling with you and keep praying that it will get better for you . All of your scoliosis friends wish you well .Jackie
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

• I wish you well

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Thanks everyone for encouragement. Fortunately, the thromboses (is that pleural for thrombosis?) were limited to L lower lung and all small. My legs were neg for clots per sonogram. I still have a small amount of chest pain, but nothing like yesterday. Calling the "Response Team" in the hospital is pretty overwhelming. When you have chest pain, they first rule out MI, then emboli. They were quite expedient which was reassuring. I woke up at 0700 with breast bone central pain and asked for a hot pack w hitch did not help, sat up at the edge of the bed....no help. Then comes the team.

So, the head MD just came by and said that I can go back to rehab "when they have a bed". Here's hoping that they saved me a bed!

Funny that the nurses and aides said that they liked working with me because I have a "positive attitude" and that so many of the people on this unit don't seem to be motivated to get well.

So, Lovinox injections until Coumadin takes over. Doctor said that he does not recommend that I get in a car wreck or jump out of airplanes for the next couple of months. I will try to restrain myself.

Susan....back in the saddle again

Comment

• Susan,
                    You always have a sense of humor. With your positive attitude, I know that you will put this extremely tough time (an understatement) behind you and you will continue to improve. You may have to dig deeper than most of us for patience, but I know you can do it. Please continue to post as we are all interested and behind your recovery 100%.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• sounds like a "code blue" yes?
                      i had one once, years ago...saved my life...i had 2 hours
                      of oxygen left in my blood at the time....and i was already
                      IN the hospital when it happened...had i not been, i might
                      not have made it...
                      but when they all came rushing into the room at once, all working
                      on me at once, putting in a triple IV line, catheter, etc...all at
                      the same time...i was too out of it from septecemia (splg?)
                      and 103.8 fever to really realize til later what was happening...
                      and i was hallucinating music playing too...(there was no music actually coming from anywhere)

i am glad the thrombosi... or whatever you call the plural of that...
                      were taken care of without major damage being done...

i am hoping and praying for you that what happened with your
                      spine so many months after original surgery will resolve
                      in a good way... with you walking again as the end result...

best to you from me and Sparky

Comment

• Susan,

I just saw your encouraging post on another threat "11days to go". You are one amazing woman. People like you are so rare. I am thinking of you a lot...
                        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
                          Susan,

I just saw your encouraging post on another threat "11days to go". You are one amazing woman. People like you are so rare. I am thinking of you a lot...
                          You are too kind. Wonder what part of me was so "amazing", but I will take the compliment, thank you very much! While I have cried some, and cursed some, I am trying to improve my attitude and perspective. In some ways, I have only 2 choices: to be passive, pessimistic, and give up OR to be proactive, look optimistically at my future, and keep plodding along putting one foot in front of the other....more like trying to put one foot in front of the other. I am experiencing Bad Karma, just one thing then another are piling on Me recently. if i could make this up, i couldn't. Currently, ambivalence about even having the 1st surgery, but that negative thinking will not get me anywhere. I try to find humor in just about everything which is a partial coverup for fear, but is more of my outlook on life.

Some days peanuts, some days shells.

Hugs to you, Susan

Comment

• What was amazing to me, that after all that happened to you, Susan, you found kind words to say to another scoliosis sister getting ready for the surgery. Not a lot of people would be able to do it. I hope so much for your recovery!
                            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Stay strong Susan! You are going to make it through all this. Praying!
                              Tamena
                              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

• Receiving Lovinox and Coumadin and my INR is 1.2, so I am slowly being anti-coagulated. I was transferred back to the rehab floor yesterday. Heavy duty PT and OT today. Walked with that supportive walking frame, practiced transferring to and from a wheelchair, attended the Episcopal Church service with communion, had my weekly team conference with good reviews, divorced my roommate who snored for 1.5 hours last night, and talked to the Episcopal female priest about my anger at the doctors who said that the origin of my weak legs was psychogenic.

So, basically a good day. Tentative discharge date is 30 September and I will go home to in-home PT/OT. I have so much more work to do before I leave. I am really scared that I will not be able to walk.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X