No announcement yet.

Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irina, I too am amazed you're able to type a response. Holding a spoon and bowl was as much movement as I wanted to do. You're doing so well! I'm praying for you.
    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
    Post op x-ray

Comment

I visited Irina yesterday!

I took the train and bus into SF to visit Irina and talk to the folks in the brace shop about my brace. Irina looked quite good actually. Dave seemed like a competent nurse ;+}. He showed me a photo of her back with the bandages on, of course, and her rib hump was very missing! She looked so straight.
      Her biggest problems are oxygen saturation levels and the big C....constipation. She said that she feels 5 months pregnant. Once she gets that solved, I am sure that things will be going better for her. She's eating regular food and says that the food at UCSF isn't too bad.
      She is on oral meds: Oxycodone....which isn't making her constipation any better!
      I am so happy that she is doing well. She has waited for so many years to get up the courage to do the surgery. She said that Dr. Hu rarely sees anyone in their 40s with her kind of scoliosis that did not have surgery as a teen. Irina lived in the Ukraine until she was maybe 19 or so, so she did not have any early correction.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Once she gets that constipation problem fixed, she'll feel much better. Having a freshly fused back and an enormous tummy is not a good combination. But at some point, we all manage to get rid of it and feel much more comfortable.

I often wonder if those who eat early get the worst constipation. I said I was hungry on Day 2 and unexpectedly, they brought me food, which I ate and enjoyed. (I had no appetite problems whatsoever.) From that point on, I had three meals a day. All healthy stuff and I enjoyed it though initially they were small servings. It took me 9 days to "go" and it was no fun.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear that she is doing well and hope that her tummy problems get solved soon
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Oh, the constipation is such an issue with most of us. Once I got that under control, my recovery went smoothly and yours will, as well. I'm sure you look fantastic with your new straight back!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Irina is feeling better and hopes to go home tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing the great pictures of her straight back!
              Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Irina, so glad to hear surgery went well. I feel like we can recooperate together. I can't remember when I actually stood. I couldn't even remember my brother coming to see me five days after surgery.
                44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Susan, thanks for letting us know how Irina's doing. Wishing her a smooth recovery at home.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sleeping at Night

I am slowly improving, but hate nights. I wake up many times to take medication and use a restroom. My husband is with me all the time and would not let me out of bed without him - day or night. I feel terrible for doing this to him. What were your early nights like? Any suggestions on how to make it better? Thank you!
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Irina,
                      I too had a husband that would rise every time with me, but don't feel bad for he is showing you love and caring for you as I am sure you have done for him. It would hurt my husbands feelings if I didn't let him help me, and Lord knows I needed the help. He even gave me his side of the bed because it was easier for me to get up from, which we all know after so many years of marriage is a huge gift.

It will get easier in time and things will go back to normal, but keep yourself on a schedule for your meds so that your body doesn't tire from the pain.

Still praying during your road to recovery.

Tamena
                      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi Irina...

Just about everyone has those sleepless nights for awhile. After my last surgeries, I spent the first 2 months barely able to sleep at night. It's exhausting and depressing.

The good news is that it will get better. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Hang in there.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Irina

The nights can be especially hard. It always seemed that the pain events for me would always happen during the night for some reason.....

You are in the “survival mode” I have mentioned here in the past, and can be a tough period. This is an extremely tiring period, and any sleep you can get is valuable......My 1st 4 weeks were the hardest and then suddenly I would have a little bump of improvement.

Now you know why we type the words “hang in there”....they have special meaning to us.

I am applying this right now for myself as my mother passed away a few days ago. Sometimes I wonder how strong I have to be, I conquered scoliosis surgery but this is about as tough as it gets.

May our recoveries pass quickly.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            Irina

The nights can be especially hard. It always seemed that the pain events for me would always happen during the night for some reason.....

You are in the “survival mode” I have mentioned here in the past, and can be a tough period. This is an extremely tiring period, and any sleep you can get is valuable......My 1st 4 weeks were the hardest and then suddenly I would have a little bump of improvement.

Now you know why we type the words “hang in there”....they have special meaning to us.

I am applying this right now for myself as my mother passed away a few days ago. Sometimes I wonder how strong I have to be, I conquered scoliosis surgery but this is about as tough as it gets.

May our recoveries pass quickly.

Ed
                            Ed: YOUR PM BOX IS FULLL, so I cut and pasted what I wrote: Sorry about the loss of your mom. Moms are special people and their loss at any age is difficult. I have lost my mom and dad in the past 6 years, mom at 87 and dad at 91. I have such wonderful memories to buoy me up when I feel sad, and I still feel sad. Take your time to go through her things....don't throw them away too quickly. My brother liked a shirt that smelled like my dad.

When I was in Fiji in a village, I suddenly felt my mom's presence. It was just for 10 seconds or so, but it was completely out of no where. It was strange and wonderful.

My surgery is Tuesday and I will be thinking of you and thanking you for all of the advice that you have given to me. Your mom had a wonderful son.
                            Susan

Comment

Irina: I hope that your nights are better. I wonder if a longer acting pain pill/patch would be better at night? If Dave is like my husband, he really does his part in the marriage, so I am sure that he feels that it is his role, and he probably takes great pride in taking good care of you.

Thanks for sharing your journey with me at UCSF. I did not receive any calls from anyone that had surgery at UCSF, so you are my only source....actually someone else emailed me about her experience, which unfortunately for her was with a postop infection.

I hope that it is sunny in San Jose, maybe you can sit outside for a short while.

Take care. Susan

Comment

I dreaded nights because of insomnia. Like everything else, it gradually got better. Hang in there!
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X