No announcement yet.

Surgery Coming Soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read through your thread here and wanted to say how impressed and thankful for everything you have shared. Praying for a speedy recovery for you, you will get there.

Stay strong!

-C
    Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
    Pre op T65, L?
    diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

I wonder if you need more blood? I'm thankful that I was given more, when I was too dizzy to walk, it made a big difference to how I felt by the next day.

Remember that every day you will have tiny improvements. Sleep as much as you can and the healing will just happen.

I remember the "backpack" feeling. It passes, Spyros. You're probably carrying a lot of swelling in your back in these early days.

You've had a bad day but don't despair - it will get much better. Quickly, I hope.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I think you are amazing to be posting, but we are happy to hear from. You will be amazed how each week gets better and better.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Spyros View Post

The whole situation was very strange and dificult for me.
          It is strange.....but you will adapt in time. Remember that your body has just had a huge shock and major surgery takes time to heal.....take things one day at a time....

Walking is a good thing....walking short amounts often will help with everything.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You are an amazing guy! I am sure that each day will get a little bit better! I cannot believe that you posted the day after surgery!!!!! I am sure that you are a strong guy and that when your body adjusts to all that has happened, you'll be feeling so much better!
            Sending good thoughts your way!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

hi Spyros
              hope you feel better every day...of course you hurt...they cut
              you open and pulled your body this way and that.... major shocks to system!
              and i really hope they do more to relieve your pain...
              you are amazing...lots of guts and courage!
              the pain right after these surgeries seems to be universal...
              know and believe it will get less as the days pass...
              keeping you in thoughts and prayers...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Spyros,

Congrats on your quick progress! You will get through this very difficult period before you know it. Enjoy your new, straight back and new-found height!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I need your experience and thoughts plz..

Its still 5th day and i m in lot of pain! Almost most of the time i m laying in the hospital's bed.

When i sit and I m ready to stand up and walk i feel all the time dizzy and i always vomit. Im worried about that

Also when i stand my nerves behind my neck pulling down and cause huge headache.

Even that i stand for 3-4 times per day but i feel the same.
                  25 Years old male with thoracic 68 degrees and lumbar 34 degrees of scoliosis.

Straight Position: Straight Position.jpg
                  Bent to the Right: Bent to the Right.jpg
                  Bent to the Left: Bent to the Left.jpg
                  Side Position: Side Position.jpg
                  Pelvis: Pelvis.jpg

Comment

Spyros,
                    I haven't had surgery, but I think you should tell your doctor about your headaches. I hope you feel better soon!
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

It sounds like they haven't got your pain under control. When my pain was under control, I felt nothing. The fact you're feeling nerves pulling, sounds to me like you need more pain killers. I'm sorry you're having all this pain. I also recommend you speak to your doctor. Get that pain under control and you will feel much better. It's the doctor's and the hospital's job, to ensure you don't have this kind of pain.

If your pain was under control you wouldn't be feeling headaches, but the fact you are, tells me your doctor should know. For all I know, I may have had headaches too, but the painkillers should knock out the pain.

It's still very early days and many of us still have pain at this stage. It sometimes takes a while to get the pain under control. Thinking of you and sending hugs from Australia.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Spyros,

I agree with the advice above that your pain is not well-controlled. You have no need to experience this much pain right now, and it is not good for your healing to suffer so much pain.

I would make sure your doctor knows about the headaches. You should ask if you had any dural tear. I suffered extreme headaches daily for 4 weeks straight after my surgery, starting at around one week post-op. It ended up being from severe muscular tension in my neck. I found a wonderful physical therapist who relieved the tension and the headaches went away immediately.

I would also ask your doctor to check a blood count. It really sounds like you need more blood, what with the dizziness and vomiting. Or it could be due to the pain medicine.

Hang in there, get that pain under control, try to drink plenty of fluids, and soon you will turn the first corner.
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I'm also sorry to hear about your pain. Have you spoke to your surgon yet. Hopefully your pain will be releaved soon. My prayers go out to you.
                          44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

I am hoping you are getting your pain under control.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Spyros,

How are you doing? Hope doctors got your pain under control and you are back home, at a beautiful island of Corfu. I''ve been to this island and several others - Greece is such a beautiful country!
                              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                              X