Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one had surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any one had surgery at UCSF with Dr. Hu?

I am planning surgery in March with Dr. Hu apt UCSF. It will be a big 2 day fusion (see below). I do not live in California and have only met Dr.Hu once. I had immediate confidence in her, but......I have only talked to her once.

So, how was your experience with Dr. Hu and hospitalization at UCSF? I really want a private room and unfortunately they appear to be first come first served. I am really bummed as when I do not feel well, I am high maintenance.

Thanks. Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

This is the yelp listing for the spinal center at UCSF; some of the review are on her, some are about other doc's at the spine center.

Good luck with everything,

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ucsf-spine-c...%20serena%20hu

Comment

Hi Susan,

Please do yourself a favor and don't clink on the link above to yelp reviews. I am sure the poster was trying to be helpful with the link, but the reviews are mostly from disgruntled patients who had to wait a long time, and very few are of Dr Hu (she herself got positive comments).

If you are unsure, go back and see her again. I think it is really natural to be very scared at this point, but you must decide if you trust her or not.

You mentioned a few weeks ago you were going to therapy to help you through this difficult period, curious if that is proving to be helpful?

Take care, and remember, the pool is your friend!
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
        Hi Susan,

Please do yourself a favor and don't clink on the link above to yelp reviews. I am sure the poster was trying to be helpful with the link, but the reviews are mostly from disgruntled patients who had to wait a long time, and very few are of Dr Hu (she herself got positive comments).

If you are unsure, go back and see her again. I think it is really natural to be very scared at this point, but you must decide if you trust her or not.

You mentioned a few weeks ago you were going to therapy to help you through this difficult period, curious if that is proving to be helpful?

Take care, and remember, the pool is your friend!
        Ditto to everything Gayle said. I've read these yelp reviews long time ago and I disagree with negative yelpers becasue my experience was very positive. Everybody was responsive and I got answers to all my questions. Yes, some things did take a while, but I've got what I wanted in the end.

I also talked with five patients of Dr. Hu (not counting Linda Racine). Three were referred by Dr. Hu and the other two I found myself (and I am sure that these two are not biased). Everybody had only good things to say about Dr. Hu and nursing staff. Did you get a chace to get a patient referral?
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I actually suggested that yelp link because it looked like Dr. Hu actually got good reviews, and I myself have met patients of hers who have been quite happy with her. I also think it's really unusual and interesting that there is a female spinal surgeon!

I personally like to check doctors out on yelp because I am interested in hearing the good and the bad. If I heard only the good, or only the bad, I wouldn't get an honest picture. Also, although I don't enjoy reading about the adverse experiences of people, it does help me, because I know what to look out for and can learn from others' experiences. For instance, if I read that an office is over booked, I know to allow extra time for my appointment. Or if I read about some fiasco with follow-up, I'll know to be especially careful with that.
          Thanks and best wishes with your appointment!
          Last edited by Cornerthree; 02-12-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Note that the vast majority of negative reviews come from people who did not have surgery. I think the wait times are relatively acceptable if you get some resolution to pain, but if you're sent away because surgery can't help, the wait times are probably pretty tough to take.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerthree View Post
              I actually suggested that yelp link because it looked like Dr. Hu actually got good reviews, and I myself have met patients of hers who have been quite happy with her. I also think it's really unusual and interesting that there is a female spinal surgeon!

I personally like to check doctors out on yelp because I am interested in hearing the good and the bad. If I heard only the good, or only the bad, I wouldn't get an honest picture. Also, although I don't enjoy reading about the adverse experiences of people, it does help me, because I know what to look out for and can learn from others' experiences. For instance, if I read that an office is over booked, I know to allow extra time for my appointment. Or if I read about some fiasco with follow-up, I'll know to be especially careful with that.
              Thanks and best wishes with your appointment!
              I actually read the Yelp site and others before I saw Dr. Hu. Most of the people on that site seemed angry, but I did find the site, parts of it, helpful. I wonder if that site attracts angry people. Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Note that the vast majority of negative reviews come from people who did not have surgery. I think the wait times are relatively acceptable if you get some resolution to pain, but if you're sent away because surgery can't help, the wait times are probably pretty tough to take.
                My biggest fear was that Dr. Hu would not agree to do surgery. That was very scary. My pain has actually increased since I saw her as the warranty on the denervations and corticosteroid injs that I had done before I went to Fiji has worn off. Can't be good when I find myself holding my breath to try to stop the pain. Susan

Comment

Working...
                X