No announcement yet.

Alternative to surgery? Chiropractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll tell you what I do when I know about some extrordinary professional. I give them my telephone and email so they can give it to the patients, so they may tell me how much amazing was the miracle he did. If nobody never call me, I'm sure is a fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
      yes I have read it again.. how much do you think this man may reduce your curve?
      I dont know. When we talked on phone he told me that he is able to reduce the curves, but he doesn t know if after treatment will be still needed surgery. So he mentions, to give me a final answer he needs to see me for a week to examine my body, my flexibility now, my curves, my torsion and some other things.
      25 Years old male with thoracic 68 degrees and lumbar 34 degrees of scoliosis.

Straight Position: Straight Position.jpg
      Bent to the Right: Bent to the Right.jpg
      Bent to the Left: Bent to the Left.jpg
      Side Position: Side Position.jpg
      Pelvis: Pelvis.jpg

Comment

And why he need 2500 euros to do that?
        Last edited by flerc; 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyros View Post
          I dont know. When we talked on phone he told me that he is able to reduce the curves, but he doesn t know if after treatment will be still needed surgery. So he mentions, to give me a final answer he needs to see me for a week to examine my body, my flexibility now, my curves, my torsion and some other things.
          Tell him you want him to assess you for free. Then get a guarantee if he says he can reduce your curves permanently. Don't accept any reduction because many treatments can temporarily reduce curves. Even standing in an unusual way can reduce curves.

Remember, chiros have no training to be treating scoliosis.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I started Chiropractic in 1986 and had pretty good results for pain control. Through the years we looked at my curves after trying bracing, and after various therapy’s with x-rays. I had a slight reduction after wearing my brace but it didn’t hold. You see, that’s the trick. Park a truck on your rib hump and you will staighten out for sure, but it just wont hold. I also tried electostim on the weak muscles and didn’t have ANY luck with that....

I have been to about 12 different Chiros through the years, each with their different techniques and moves. From the start they all told me that one day I would need surgery, and I probably had twin 55’s in 1986. When I hit my 40’s things ended up getting worse and the sciatica started. Chiro is useless for sciatica, absolutely useless. I had 4 herniated lumbar discs and degeneration, so you can see why it wouldn’t work. Swimming in the ocean helped and it was free.

Chiropractic adjustments are worth about $100 per session....Vax-D is worth about $200 and that includes the works....For $500 day, I would fly to Switzerland and party like a rock star. I’m getting too old for that, but you know what I’m saying.

Chances are that you can last for quite some time depending on pain, but if your curve keeps progressing, you have to be careful since large curves mean trickier surgeries.... and you can have lung and heart problems....

Beware of people promising miracles....save your money.

I’m interested in knowing exactly what your surgeon said......Did he give you a timeframe for surgery?

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Spyros,
              I've also been to many, many chiros. I've either had no results or, as in the last case, a worsening of my curve and increased pain. The only "relief" I've ever had from a chiro is some temporary relief of neck pain. But it always comes back. The thing with chiros is that they keep you coming back. They will work on your for years promising that these things take time. You are young, your curve is pretty big. If you are in pain, I wouldn't waste my time or money on a chiro. Like Pooka1 mentioned there isn't any evidence that chiropractic helps scoliosis. However, I have never heard one say that they couldn't help. They all claim to be able to help scoliosis, at least from my experience. I know it's difficult to accept. But how are you going to feel if you spend all that money and are told he can't help you? Or worse, yet, says he can and keeps juicing you for more money and doesn't help? I'm not saying that chiropractors are dishonest. They are trained to really believe that they can help scoliosis. There is just no documented proof of that. The original chiropractic theory is that ALL diseases come from subluxations. We know that not to be true. The older you are when you have surgery, the more complex the surgery will become and the healing time increases. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm only telling you what I know. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

As far as this guy working "miracles", it would be a miracle if he could cure a curve that size. On the positive note, there are individuals who, while not curing their scoliosis, have made changes in their curves through strict exercise regimens. You may be happy with a change if it alleviates pain, so if that's what you are interested in I would suggest talking to some of them.

Take Care.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I tried Chiropractic care to the tune of $5000.00 USD with minimal temporary relief of pain. I wish I had known about this forum before I spent all of my hard earned money on temporary relief. If you are wealthy, spend your money on Chiropractic, but it really would be a waste of money in my opinion.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  There has never been a single published study showing that chiropractic can do anything to eliminate the need for scoliosis surgery.
                  I agree with everything others have said, and think the above sums it up in a nutshell.
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! You helped me a lot and you saved my money as well!

I have already scheduled my scoliosis surgery for the beginning of March!!! Not specific date yet, but i have less than 1 month for that! Can't believe it!

Comment

Dear Spyros. You don't say why are you investigating options just now. Are you in pain? Feeling short? (OH PLEASE LAUGH with me -- only one scoli kid to another would know what I am talking about).

What is it you are trying to treat? Someone began to ask you informative questions about symptoms.

You are 25 and sooooooooo vibrant. Full of oxygen, blood cells, vessels. What is your hesitation on surgery?

You do it your done, for the most part and imagine being inches taller? It is a strange experience my friend. The soap on the counter, towels ... these are my awakening, standing experiences.

I will never see a chiropractor. Not ever. He/she may be able to alleviate my pain but he can never alleviate my circumstance.

I'm in trouble right now a little bit but 20 to 30 years with little complications? Are you kidding? And passing in front of everybody either do to confidence, sports, or whatever... I stood tall and not one lover cared.

Isn't it funny that the one person who said anything was my future husband, "I could see you scoliosis" (just now).

Just remember, you are young and vibrant and have a really good chance at successful surgery. Yeh. It sucks. It totally sucks. But once I got to shower my head ... go the bathroom, had a cast on .. okay, nevermind. Once I was FREE I was free for a number of years. LOTS of them.

I think chiropractors are repeat business.

I went through surgery in the 70s. Things have so improved I think since then. I am not uptodate but I hear you don't even have to wear a cast. I bet you are pretty handsome too huh. I bet you stand pretty straight for those 60 degrees (oh how us kids can compensate). huh. Bet you are athletic too so what drives the current process?

Sorry if I am late with this message but I just came back. Scoli kids from my generation come back. I am just telling you I had a good run for 30 years. I still am but you ran into some complications. Age. and Arthritis. And problems with below and above the rod. They don't do my rods anymore.

Okay, so remember. You are 25. Have excellent blood and oxygen I presume and if not now you will. Okay? Your chances at recovery (I am not a doctor!) seem very good. If you smoke? Oh heck you can quit for a bit for maximum healing. Oh. Husband home. Yes. I have one. I went on to live a successful life.

So no at all those euros without surgery. Just my take and yee haaaaaa and current physical therapy for me. And I am not going to be in it for months either.
                      Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyros View Post
                        Thanks a lot guys! You helped me a lot and you saved my money as well!

I have already scheduled my scoliosis surgery for the beginning of March!!! Not specific date yet, but i have less than 1 month for that! Can't believe it!
                        Wov!! What a vertiginous change of direction! I wrote something about manipulation and other issues, but of course it would be useless now for you.
                        I hope surgery will be good for you.. also I hope you understand I never figured you was deciding between visiting that chiropractor and fusion.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by flerc; 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

also I hope you understand I never figured you was deciding between visiting that chiropractor and fusion.
                          That's not really a choice. Only surgery works for people who are surgical.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            That's not really a choice. Only surgery works for people who are surgical.
                            And who knows who are surgical? You?

Comment

Thanks for your long answer ck43!

Originally posted by ck43 View Post
                              Dear Spyros. You don't say why are you investigating options just now. Are you in pain? Feeling short? (OH PLEASE LAUGH with me -- only one scoli kid to another would know what I am talking about).
                              Yes, i am in pain. I m not even thinking about if i m short. I m 1.81 cm tall.

You are 25 and sooooooooo vibrant. Full of oxygen, blood cells, vessels. What is your hesitation on surgery?
                              I dont have hesitation or fear about surgery, I just wanna check all available treatments before surgery.

Just remember, you are young and vibrant and have a really good chance at successful surgery. Yeh. It sucks. It totally sucks. But once I got to shower my head ... go the bathroom, had a cast on .. okay, nevermind. Once I was FREE I was free for a number of years. LOTS of them.
                              Yes i can see your pain there. I used to have some kind of cast also at age of 17 years old. But i think it made it even worse.

I think chiropractors are repeat business.
                              +1. And i dont have time to loose staying in another country alone (actually with my future wife) spending a lot of money and finally i got not proper results.

I went through surgery in the 70s. Things have so improved I think since then. I am not uptodate but I hear you don't even have to wear a cast. I bet you are pretty handsome too huh. I bet you stand pretty straight for those 60 degrees (oh how us kids can compensate). huh. Bet you are athletic too so what drives the current process?
                              Yes i stand very straight even with that 68 degrees (thanks to S type :P). And i am very athletic. I m 1.81cm, 63 kilos and i love sporting. But I get tired very very easily and i feel the pain in my back too.

Okay, so remember. You are 25. Have excellent blood and oxygen I presume and if not now you will. Okay? Your chances at recovery (I am not a doctor!) seem very good. If you smoke? Oh heck you can quit for a bit for maximum healing. Oh. Husband home. Yes. I have one. I went on to live a successful life.
                              I dont smoke or drink alcohol (well.. just a bit when i m going out). But my breath is reduce already to 75% for my age/high/kilos, and i cant let it drop more. Its too dangerous.
                              Finally, as my doctor told me, I do have good chances for a successful surgery and recovery, cause when he saw my dynamic X-rays, he observed that i have lot of flexibility on my spine!

Comment

And who knows who are surgical? You?
                                No not me of course. Surgeons know.

There is no evidence any conservative treatment has prevented any surgery. That includes people like Hawes because she may not have progressed anyway. Or maybe only increasing the distance between sternum and spine is the only conservative treatment that works, at least temporarily. Who knows. The point is proving conservative therapy avoids surgery is an uphill battle to say the least.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X