Talk to me, please? And cheers for physical therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me, please? And cheers for physical therapy

Maybe my last post was vague. 2,000 views and not one of you talked to me?

I have two bulging discs. Above and below the Harrington Rod. Equals two. One above. One below.

It is the way of it. Nothing we can do. Great surgery -- the Harrington Rod.

I have twice been in leadership in both the Scoliosis Association and the National Scoliosis Foundation.

I expect at least someone to reach back. My peers. Kids like me who know what a Scoli Girl or Guy is.

I have some good news. I have twice been to physical therapy now. I don't know why PT had such a bad rap save maybe times have changed. Physical therapists are more educated and independent?

I saw a PT last week. He didn't have an MRI, CT, x-ray or anything but he could feel with his hands things were wrong. With my hamstrings.

I know we all have our pain and periods of time without some. Bliss. Won't you please share a few experiences about PT? I am willing to be as blunt as possible and describe what happened and how it's helping this time with lumbar. Knew the sucker ws going out when I figured out how to post a signature here. Now it's gone.

Here's the easiest way my ortho explained things after an MRI. See (he's showing me my spine) how all this white? (disc to disc) and here? Nothing.

I know maybe I have scared you but some of you have scared me: I just-didn-t-want-to think about it.

So what are you in like situations doing? Greatest drugs ever or effective PT? Depression, alcoholism, oh come on. Don't think I refuse for a second if someone I trust has an extra half Vicadin.

Anyone remember how pitiful PT was at 13, 14? I do. I was mortified but then what didn't mortify most of us 30 years ago? In a brace?

Can we talk? I was hear a few years ago and many of us opened up. Now I would appreciate dialogue again. I was just so amazed by this guy who felt my body, put me through some paces (I don't mean exercise --- crap -- he grabbed my ankles on each side and pulled me apart ---- ahhhhhh! But I am telling you this is the most normal I have had in almost a year. I can sit! Without constant shifting, depressive thoughts, etc. or groans) and walk, mostly.

I am not on drugs and Ibuprofen is smack anyway but oh those Vicadin. But I have none and will not pursue it.

C'mon. Commonality. We did it before. Just share. It's not like our real names are here. Don't you think I know about intimacy, struggle, being a "good girl" never complaining and so on? Just can't understand 2,000 views and no one speaking. What are we being studied? Whose viewing my words? C'mon scoli kids. We are a unique class, prob very successful at our jobs.
    Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Hi ck43. I hope someone who's had pt, especially after Harrington rod surgery can give you some dialogue. There are not many here with Harrington Rods, or, that I know of, attending physiotherapy. But this will bump your post up and keep it near the top so when those people visit the forum, they'll see your post. Good luck!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi ck,

I read your post but wasn't sure if you actually had any questions, so I didn't reply. You will get more replies if you ask a specific question. We are also here if you want to vent, just you may not get many replies.

I was wondering something, reading your posts. Is there some reason you can not have a revision to fix the degenerated disks above and below? There are others here who have done that with success. The Harrington rod surgeries don't always last forever, due to problems such as yours.

Keep trying. Lots of us are listening.
      Last edited by leahdragonfly; 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I think we are all a little confused. When did PT get a bad rap? It sounds like PT is doing wonders for you, so why do you need or take Vicoden when you can get it? How long ago did you see your orthopedic surgeon? Maybe he/she can offer you adivce on whether or not surgery would be a good option for you. For now, however, it seems like PT is working so stick with it! In my opinion, surgery is always a last resort and only an option for me once I've tried everything else.
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Well gosh bless all of you.

Yes PT works wonders I think and I wanted to share that as an alternative. Honest I had no hope.

My neck was one thing but my torso? That's huge. That's walking, standing, talking ... LIFE.

In 2006 there were at least a few more here with Harringtons.

To the person who bumped me thank you.

If I had any question it would be about PT and others' success. I have been on this forum before. I have searched out there for others' experience and gosh it's depressing.

We come here or post to the Internet when we are in trouble. Maybe when we are doing well we keep to ourselves and try to forget about it.

Anyone with issues re Harringtons? I am still ticked off that anyone said I was going to fry in the MRI tube. I guess that is titanium related whereas I am stainless steel?

My advice to anyone going through an MRI is to visit the clinic ahead of time and ask questions.

To the person who queried about Vicadin I have remained drug free so far but if it is available? A friend willing to share? You betcha. I'll take it. Yes. It is that bad. Pain is pain. ok? And I am not a 13 year old or 15 year old scoli girl anymore. If you don't understand (to all in general) I don't have to stand there anymore and take it. Never saying a word. Practicing composure. Going through the motions to satisfy and not worry anyone. Now I am hobbling around. I go back to PT on Wednesday.

Fun? At least my guy has personality but he is going to hurt me to help me. And it's okay. It's like an understanding and teamwork. This isn't like the old days of "stand there."

To the person who talked about venting I just did. Sound bad? My wounds are deep but no different than any of the rest of you with Milwaukees and Harrington rods. Even on this forum I met people who were so much worse off than me.
          Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

Think I will start a new thread about Physical Therapy. Thanks ALL.

Comment

Working...
            X