How prominent is your abdomen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flerc View Post
    They believe that can stop progression and reduce curve but not permanently. So if a curve of xº was reduced to (x-n)º , they are absolutely sure that at least will increase nº. Never only (n-1)º . Fantastic precision! I want to know the mathematical model showing that!
    All you are saying is that the curve will return to the prebraced curve and not a degree less. I'm pretty sure that they can't predict what a scoliotic spine will do with a mathematic model.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

They believe that can stop progression and reduce curve but not permanently.
      What exactly is the point of being able to reduce a curve non-permanently? Isn't that completely worthless or worse?
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        All you are saying is that the curve will return to the prebraced curve and not a degree less. I'm pretty sure that they can't predict what a scoliotic spine will do with a mathematic model.
        I'm not saying that. It seems that brace manufacters believe that. I suppose they have some basic idea about Geometry and Physics, so to be so sure about something a priori so absurd, they should to have a sofisticated way to prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          What exactly is the point of being able to reduce a curve non-permanently? Isn't that completely worthless or worse?
          I don't know. I never said that.

Comment

I'm not saying that. It seems that brace manufacters believe that. I suppose they have some basic idea about Geometry and Physics, so to be so sure about something a priori so absurd, they should to have a sofisticated way to prove it
            All measurements are +/- 5* at best. It would be absurd for a brace manufacturer (or anyone) to make claims as if this precision didn't exist. And so they don't.

Remember, if it doesn't make sense then it probably isn't true. In everything.
            Last edited by Pooka1; 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

All measurements are +/- 5* at best. It would be absurd for a brace manufacturer (or anyone) to make claims as if this precision didn't exist. And so they don't.
              In a 20°/40° curve, 5° is not insignificant and only a bad measurement may have such error.
              But anyway it seems that probably they are at least not sure that at least 5° degrees may be reduced in a permanent way, although they may be not claiming that.

Remember, if it doesn't make sense then it probably isn't true. In everything.
              Yes, it was I thought when I tried to imagine that a brace cannot reduce a curve in a permanent way although it can stop it for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                All I can say to that blog is wow! It makes one wonder how a person could even get into one of those contraptions. It's so sad!
                It is....I wore a Copes brace as an adult for skiing and it was quite a chore dealing with the pressure points. One time I was driving and the pain was so bad I had to pull over on the highway and rip it off as fast as possible. Braces really need to push HARD to work. The muscles and soft tissues are relentless in their pulling power.

When you wear them, you trade pains. The spine feels better at quite a price.

Its hard for me to get exited over bracing.....

I do feel strongly that scolis that are having full fusions wear them so they know what being totally fused is like.

I still have my brace....but my “beach ball” is now too huge to even think about getting it on. LOL

This girl has done a good job with her blog.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  The next is walking. The benefits once again, we take for granted. Scroll down for the health benefits…..Is this physical therapy? It sure is. It’s the “gold standard” and hard to beat.
                  Get outside and walk!
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking
                  Sure great for someone with a normal spine. But with a big curve I'm not sure at all. I'm not sure if the cost I suppose may has because uneven oscilations may be >= the profit that sure has for everyone. Also hundreds of scoliosis treatments, for sit down/up and lying down postures gives recomendations/manipulations/exercises, but for walking.. Do you know one? I'm remembering only 2.

As an athlete all my life, I was always doing physical things that were fun. The only time I “targeted” any muscle group per say was when I would run up and down stairs for skiing training and I didn’t do this much since I would rather be skiing. (smiley face) You can see why it didn’t make all that much sense to me. Why would I use a treadmill when I could simply take a walk and see the sights? Why would I ride an indoor bike when I could go for a ride? I would rather be outdoors in the clean air doing things I enjoyed rather than making it a chore…….
                  ================================================== ==
                  Not only for fun.. I insisted to my son to not do mechanical exercises to get muscles, because I'm sure is something artificial and unnatural.. at least he might get a great pleasure doing that. For me is as taking vitamin pills instead of eating food. We played paddle and I said him to note the difference of lost energy (physical and mental) between just only lifting the ball (we really hate that) and running the more fast we can and hitting the ball with all our force, something we enjoy so much and he agreed that lifting the ball was devastating although is uncomparably less hard.

For those that want to target the abdomen, there are a list of exercises listed here. The bicycle crunch gets first place, but can be hard for scolis to do……The exercise ball comes in 3rd place and having one of these balls for exercising really is a must for scolis…..I use mine while watching TV. Just sitting and rolling around on it exercises the abs.
                  Please note…..
                  The benefit of focused training on the "deep core" muscles such as the transversus abdominis has been disputed, with some experts advocating a more comprehensive training regimen.[10]
                  Some days before, I just have read about bicycle as the best back exercise. Even better than swimming!
                  My daughter wants since time ago a fixed bicycle. Today her Pt said her that she not agree so much because is so boring.
                  I don't know yet if she is afraid for jumps.. and certainly something boring for someone may be very fun for other, why not?
                  Wich is in 2nd place?

Comment

Working...
                  X