Appointment in philadelphia shriner with doctor Betz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appointment in philadelphia shriner with doctor Betz

Hello I´m going to have an appointment for my daughter Lia Gabriela at Philadelphia with doctor Randal Betz in Shriner Hospital the next february 7 for this we will travel from Florida (on train by the way). I need to be sure in every detail in this appointment. I wish that his criteria help us to take the final decision in this so much complicated case.

Did any of you know if doctor Betz still practicing surgery?
    Is the waiting list at the Phili Shriner too long?
    Did someone had a questions list or any recomended guide for the interview?
    Please anyone who had been in an appointment with doctor Betz can give me any advice?
    Can you recomend me a cheap hotel near the shriner?

Thanks so much

Carlos Alberto Perez Saavedra
    Attached Files

Hi Carlos,

My friend here, mariaf, should reply to you soon. Her son has been a patient of Dr Betz for about 8 years and is doing very well. Maria will be able to answer your questions and also help with your questions about lodging. I do know that many area hotels have good discounts for Shriner's families. There is a reasonably priced motel next door to the hospital on the campus of Temple University--I think it is called the Conway Hotel. There are also two or three Ronald McDonald Houses in the area that Maria can tell you more about. I have not stayed in them, but have heard from many families who have, and they have all been very happy and comfortable with the lodging.

Best of luck with your trip, and I am very confident you will get all your questions answered by Dr Betz and his knowledgeable staff.

Please let us know how your daughter's appointment goes.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi...

You can find a list of questions here:

http://www.srs.org/patient_and_family/questions_to_ask/

I recommend not asking all of the questions. Pick and choose those that are appropriate for your situation.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Carlos,

I re-read some of your posts and see that you have, in the past, been to see Dr. Asghar (who, as you know, used to work along side Dr. Betz in Philly). I assume you are going to Philadelphia for another opinion, which is always a good idea, particularly in non-routine cases. By the way, I have no doubt that Drs. Betz and Asghar would be happy to consult with each other to come up with the best plan for your precious daughter.

As for the waiting list, it depends on the urgency of the case. If they feel your daughter needs surgery ASAP they will move her up on the list. I heard recently from a mom whose daughter was able to get in rather quickly for tethering surgery because she was approaching the upper parameters for meeting the criteria and did not have a ton of growth left - so they got her in within a matter of weeks.

If you would like to e-mail me (maria305@yahoo.com), I can send you a list of hotels in Philly that offer discounts to Shriners patients. I am also happy to answer any specific questions – either by e-mail if that is easier or here on the forum – about the hospital in Philly. In short, I will tell you that not only have I been thrilled with the care my son has received over the years, but I have also met countless families whose children have been helped there as well. Very often, challenging cases are referred there by other doctors around the country because of their expertise when it comes to scoliosis.

You can also e-mail Janet Cerrone (the PA to the spine team in Philly) if you have a specific question that you would like answered before your visit next month.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing from you.
        Last edited by mariaf; 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

hi car;os I have heard heard many great things about doctor betz. here also a web site your daughter should check out it curvygirlsscoliosis
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Why not Shriners in FL?

Originally posted by Carlos Alberto View Post
            Hello I´m going to have an appointment for my daughter Lia Gabriela at Philadelphia with doctor Randal Betz in Shriner Hospital the next february 7 for this we will travel from Florida (on train by the way). I need to be sure in every detail in this appointment. I wish that his criteria help us to take the final decision in this so much complicated case.

Did any of you know if doctor Betz still practicing surgery?
            Is the waiting list at the Phili Shriner too long?
            Did someone had a questions list or any recomended guide for the interview?
            Please anyone who had been in an appointment with doctor Betz can give me any advice?
            Can you recomend me a cheap hotel near the shriner?

Thanks so much

Carlos Alberto Perez Saavedra
            Hi Carlos,

Just curious, can you share why your daughter is not working with Doctors in FL, like the Shriners in Tampa? Do they have less expertise? Maybe the waiting list is too long like you seemed to have mentioned. I have a newly diagnosed 14yr son and the Dr. recommends surgery so we are just starting to research everything/ all options. He would do the surgery at All Children's in St. Pete. Of course I'd like know the best hopspital/doctors to consider.

Best of luck, what a beautiful young lady she is!

-C
            Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
            Pre op T65, L?
            diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

Hi Tampamom,

I just wanted to say that sometimes, for a particular patient, the expertise of one of the 22 Shriners hospitals (or that of one or more members of their team) is just a better fit.

As we know, all of the Shriners hospitals treat orthopedic conditions in children - some, however, have particular expertise in certain of theseconditions. Some hospitals might be most noted for scoliosis; others for their treatment of OI (brittle bone disease), another hospital is best known for serial casting of infants, etc.

So, for example, because one of the main focuses in Philadelphia is scoliosis, they are always pioneering new treatments such as tethering. (As of now, tethering is not available in any Shriners hospital outside of Philly). It was the same when they first pioneered VBS (stapling). Often doctors at other Shriners hospitals would refer patients to Dr. Betz in Philly if they were candidates for the procedure.

So, I would look at my child's particular case and ask if the expertise of a certain hospital would benefit them.

Hope this was more helpful than confusing :-)
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
              X