Would like to hear from anyone that had Anterior only surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lori,

Your daughter's story reminds me somewhat of another young member here, John (JDM555). As I recall he had posterior surgery at Stanford at around age 19 and suffered intractable pain afterward for something like 2 years. His original surgeon shined him on and he eventually got several other opinions. His pain was so bad that I think he was forced to drop out of college for awhile because it was too painful to walk to class, sit in class, study, etc.

Finally after a couple of other opinions John found a new surgeon who felt he probably had a pseudoarthrosis, and that his fusion needed to go down one more level in his lumbar. He had the revision and last we heard from him he was pain-free and doing great.

I truly hope that the revision will do the trick for your daughter so you all can move on. The last 7 years sound just horrible for your family and daughter. Please let us know how everything turns out.

Take care, and try to stay busy until the 15th!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Is one level posterior revision a little easier to recover from?

Does anyone know if it will be an easier recovery since the surgery will just be extending the fusion down one level and doing it posterior as opposed to her last one which was anterior?

Lori

Comment

Hi Lori,

Are they talking about just adding on one posterior level? I was assuming they would be doing the whole fusion posterior, including the previous levels that were fused anterior. That's usually what is needed to stabilize the spine.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
        X