Exercise - Where to Begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise - Where to Begin?

I'm ashamed to say that, at 58, I have done very little exercise in my life. My scoliosis pain is getting worse and I would like to start an exercise program that might help reduce this pain. Where should I begin? Yoga, Pilates, something else? Thanks.

I'm a great advocate of walking. It's great for fitness and although not all of us can do it, it helped my back, improved cardio health and improved my bone density. I used to do yoga but you need to be very careful - I herniated a disc doing yoga. I found anything involving lifting, worsened my pain.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by carolmr View Post
      I'm ashamed to say that, at 58, I have done very little exercise in my life. My scoliosis pain is getting worse and I would like to start an exercise program that might help reduce this pain. Where should I begin? Yoga, Pilates, something else? Thanks.
      I think any board certified orthopedic surgeon knowledgeable in spine would be able to prescribe appropriate PT from a knowledgeable physical therapist. If you are not clearly a surgical case, it is my understanding that surgeons routinely prescribe PT for pain because it has been shown to be effective for that in some cases. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have a preference you can ask the surgeon about yoga versus pilates versus whatever as being your best bet.

I am hoping people who have successfully treated their scoliosis pain with PT will chime in.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I used to love walking, but these past couple of years it has caused me pain to walk. I know it's the best exercise, but I just can't do it anymore.

Comment

Sharon's advice is right on. I was prescribed PT by the Neurosurgeon that I first saw. The Therapist that I had thought that I would benefit the most from water therapy. Unfortunately for me, my sciatic nerve was so badly pinched that it didn't help with that pain. The water exercises helped me to get into good physical shape that it helped me when I finally had surgery.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

exercises, etc

Below is what I posted awhile ago. Please be aware that exercise can cause more pain. Whatever you do take it slow. Your body will eventually respond. Keep in mind you may be using muscles, etc that you haven't used before.

"66 years old tomorrow....62 degree thoracic 48 degree lumbar 3/4 " short leg
            I have read many of the posts and I can relate to most of them. I discovered my scoliosis at around 14 years old. At the time, they had no solutions. When I tried to enlist at 18, I was rejected due to the scoliosis; otherwise I was Ok until I hit 60. The joints started to fail. Left hip arthritis and general soreness after golf. I was a pretty good player until scoliosis and age caught up with me. Although I still play, I limit it to about 9 holes. I decided about 3 years ago to do something about the daily discomfort. I had x-rays taken of my curves and legs. (see title of this thread for results) I bought a 1/2 " lift orthotic and wear it always. I do daily programs made up of Yoga, stretches and Tai Chi. I am fairly confident I have changed my curves but I have not been re-measured. I still have daily discomfort, but now it is because I am using muscles that have been dormant for many years. My posture is much better and I am stronger. (I also hit the golf ball farther)

Here are two videos I found that I do daily.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWtrCmzaOw
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pIHF4eY0Ag

The yoga program I use is too large to post.
            If someone wants to contact me directly, my email is rkochis65@gmail.com
            I have some other worthwhile reading material also."

Comment

Working...
            X