Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
    Hi,

While I think that the goal of experiencing zero pain after major spinal surgery is admirable, I also think it is extremely unrealistic to expect that. It is inevitable that you will experience some pain, unfortunately. You are not a stranger to pain, however, so you can make it through some pain.

It is much more reasonable to expect your pain to be well-controlled and promptly treated. For instance, one of my best nurses after my second surgery told me her goal was to keep my pain below a 4 during her shift. Too bad I didn't have more like her after my first surgery, where my pain was very poorly controlled and none of the nurses seemed to care much.

Some docs will not allow an epidural (including Dr H) because it carries an increased risk of infection right into your back where the hardware and grafting was done. I was disappointed to learn this, but definitely understood the reasoning!

One of the best things you can do is have a helpful companion or private nurse who will not hesitate to make sure you get all the pain control and comfort measures you need when you need them.
    Thanks Gayle, I plan to have someone stay with me in the hospital. My son, daughter-in-law, and daughter are either a nurse or nurse practitioner. My husband and brother (nuclear/electrical engineer and bartender can help also. Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by SpineTime View Post
      I've been given steroid injections at as many as 3 levels at once. I think those were facet joint injections, as they thought that might be where my pain was coming from. So they do give injections at more than 1 level, but maybe it depends on where they think the pain is coming from?

Lisa
      I have had facet joint inj at multiple levels. They helped a lot. This pain is probably due to a very steno tic L4 right. This was my 3rd steroid inj there. The other 2 lasted one month and 2months....and then just 4 days. Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has been quite reassuring. I really appreciate your input and now figure that it will work out. Someone said that I am trying to get lots of info and my ducks in line to control the situation. So true, so true. Trying to have control over a situation that is currently seemingly out of control.
        Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          I have had facet joint inj at multiple levels. They helped a lot. This pain is probably due to a very steno tic L4 right. This was my 3rd steroid inj there. The other 2 lasted one month and 2months....and then just 4 days. Susan
          The thing that was surprising to me was how difficult it can be for the doctor to find out where the pain is coming from so they can treat it with the injections or nerve ablation or whatever. I didn't think it would be that hard.

I wish you well in making your decision about surgery. I've gone back and forth so much about the idea of surgery that it's made my head spin. I can relate to so many of the things you've talked about, except you've said you're normally very decisive. I'm not, and the more important the decision, the more I can see both sides and have an even harder time deciding. I've often wondered, what was it that made someone finally decide on surgery, actually have the courage to schedule a date... and go through with it? Was it any one thing, like the pain level, or (more likely, I'm guessing) a combination of things?

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by SpineTime View Post
            The thing that was surprising to me was how difficult it can be for the doctor to find out where the pain is coming from so they can treat it with the injections or nerve ablation or whatever. I didn't think it would be that hard.

I wish you well in making your decision about surgery. I've gone back and forth so much about the idea of surgery that it's made my head spin. I can relate to so many of the things you've talked about, except you've said you're normally very decisive. I'm not, and the more important the decision, the more I can see both sides and have an even harder time deciding. I've often wondered, what was it that made someone finally decide on surgery, actually have the courage to schedule a date... and go through with it? Was it any one thing, like the pain level, or (more likely, I'm guessing) a combination of things?

Lisa
            There was a thread that either Terrik started that asked that very question. It is called The big question- when do you know it is time? On 9-25-2012. Sorry that I don't know how to cut and paste this one.
            Susan
            Last edited by susancook; 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              spinal fluid...?
              i was told my SI joint injections went directly into the SI joints...
              was given injection on left and on right sides.

jess
              Jess, I should have clarified myself. Epidural steroid injections go into the spinal canal while SI injections and facet injections go into the joints, so yes, you can get more that one injection at a time into separate joints.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Don't fret about post op pain. There are several drugs out there. I will say that I apparently was one of the few that's pain was not controlable after surgery. I will say now that I do not remember hardly anything after my surgery and 3 weeks after. My sister kept a journal and has filled me in about things... So, even if the pain meds don't work I am guessing that you will be on so many that you wont remember... like me. My sister said I was like the Princess and the pea story. I would cry if there was a slight wrinkle in my sheets or pillow. She said I cried myself to sleep often. Point is, I a made it and I am doing great now! I have been off all narcotics since 4 weeks post op!
                Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                53*T 71*L
                Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                  Don't fret about post op pain. There are several drugs out there. I will say that I apparently was one of the few that's pain was not controlable after surgery. I will say now that I do not remember hardly anything after my surgery and 3 weeks after. My sister kept a journal and has filled me in about things... So, even if the pain meds don't work I am guessing that you will be on so many that you wont remember... like me. My sister said I was like the Princess and the pea story. I would cry if there was a slight wrinkle in my sheets or pillow. She said I cried myself to sleep often. Point is, I a made it and I am doing great now! I have been off all narcotics since 4 weeks post op!
                  Hi Heidi,

I am glad to hear that you're doing well and being off narcotis at 4 weeks is wonderful! Can you tell us what things can you do at this point - driving, going out to a restaurant, cooking etc? Thanks!
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Irena

I have been driving since 9 weeks post op ( I believe) I think I could have done it sooner but I had help here and I didn't need to. My first trip out of the house somewhere around 4 weeks post op was to buy a new chair at Lazy Boy. After that I could do short trips, if it wasn't crowded or far from home. At Christmas we made a trip to Target and had to leave because it was too busy and I was afraid someone would hurt me. I drove my sister to the airport on December 16th... it was over an hour in the car and was just fine. (That was 10 weeks post op)I do have a memory foam pillow in the drivers seat of my car as well. I think it helps so I will continue to use it
                    BUT now I am a few days over 3 moths post op and I can do everything... just differently and more carefully. I had my car serviced today and waited an hour...no pain, even after sitting in those chairs. I had a pedicure two weeks ago... I did bring a pillow but it was relaxing and enjoyable!
                    I have gone out to eat with my husband quite a few times. I went to Belks and bought new swimwear for our trip to Hawaii in July. I remembered to bring my dressing stick but that didnt help me when I dropped my cell phone! I just asked a passerby if they would pick it up explaining that I had back surgery... and everytime I am in this predictament strangers have been so kind. Just yesterday I needed to get gas in the minivan and pulled in and realized I had no one with me to reach down and pull the lever to open my gas tank... so I walked over to the man at the next pump and explained and he helped me. I can walk endless amounts now... and stand for longer periods. Seems like Target or Walmart or grocery stores are harder or tire me faster but a regular trip is no problem. I can cook... peel apples and potatoes no problem.
                    I am doing great but it is not EASY. Everything takes so much more time. Although I am happy to report that I can now shower and dress in under 30 minutes. It used to take over 90 minutes. GEEZ!
                    Other things I can't do: i reach the bottom 2 shelves at the grocery store... so I have to bring someone with me.
                    I can do laundry using my grabber but it is a painstakingly long progress and very frustrating so I gladly let someone else do that!
                    bending down to get tupperware out of my cabinet to put leftovers away... I can squat and do it but if someone is around I ask them to get it (don't know if I am really supposed to squat so I do it ever so carefully)
                    Scooping the cat box is not doable yet or getting the dog water. I have tried several times with my grabber and it makes a bigger mess. I have not tried to lift anything heavier then a gallon of milk.
                    I can pretty much do anything that I want to taking into consideration precautions.
                    Oh, and not to be too personal but sex is difficult. Can't go on top or bottom...spooning seems to work best for us right now. Will retry every couple of weeks to see if that gets better....
                    Anyhow, now that I am totally blushing, I am off to bed!
                    Best, Heidi

I have my 4 year old stand on a chair or table to help him get dressed or wipe after the bathroom
                    53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi,

I bought a long-handled cat scoop for the litter box, which works great. You can Google it or search here. I posted about it. I also bought long-handled water/food dishes.

Hawaii will be fabulous! Especially with your new, straight back to show off!

Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I have been driving since 9 weeks post op ( I believe) I think I could have done it sooner but I had help here and I didn't need to. My first trip out of the house somewhere around 4 weeks post op was to buy a new chair at Lazy Boy. After that I could do short trips, if it wasn't crowded or far from home. At Christmas we made a trip to Target and had to leave because it was too busy and I was afraid someone would hurt me. I drove my sister to the airport on December 16th... it was over an hour in the car and was just fine. (That was 10 weeks post op)I do have a memory foam pillow in the drivers seat of my car as well. I think it helps so I will continue to use it
                        BUT now I am a few days over 3 moths post op and I can do everything... just differently and more carefully. I had my car serviced today and waited an hour...no pain, even after sitting in those chairs. I had a pedicure two weeks ago... I did bring a pillow but it was relaxing and enjoyable!
                        I have gone out to eat with my husband quite a few times. I went to Belks and bought new swimwear for our trip to Hawaii in July. I remembered to bring my dressing stick but that didnt help me when I dropped my cell phone! I just asked a passerby if they would pick it up explaining that I had back surgery... and everytime I am in this predictament strangers have been so kind. Just yesterday I needed to get gas in the minivan and pulled in and realized I had no one with me to reach down and pull the lever to open my gas tank... so I walked over to the man at the next pump and explained and he helped me. I can walk endless amounts now... and stand for longer periods. Seems like Target or Walmart or grocery stores are harder or tire me faster but a regular trip is no problem. I can cook... peel apples and potatoes no problem.
                        I am doing great but it is not EASY. Everything takes so much more time. Although I am happy to report that I can now shower and dress in under 30 minutes. It used to take over 90 minutes. GEEZ!
                        Other things I can't do: i reach the bottom 2 shelves at the grocery store... so I have to bring someone with me.
                        I can do laundry using my grabber but it is a painstakingly long progress and very frustrating so I gladly let someone else do that!
                        bending down to get tupperware out of my cabinet to put leftovers away... I can squat and do it but if someone is around I ask them to get it (don't know if I am really supposed to squat so I do it ever so carefully)
                        Scooping the cat box is not doable yet or getting the dog water. I have tried several times with my grabber and it makes a bigger mess. I have not tried to lift anything heavier then a gallon of milk.
                        I can pretty much do anything that I want to taking into consideration precautions.
                        Oh, and not to be too personal but sex is difficult. Can't go on top or bottom...spooning seems to work best for us right now. Will retry every couple of weeks to see if that gets better....
                        Anyhow, now that I am totally blushing, I am off to bed!
                        Best, Heidi

I have my 4 year old stand on a chair or table to help him get dressed or wipe after the bathroom
                        So much great info! Thanks! Re: Sex....thanks for your thoughts/experience/frustrations. There is a thread caled Intimacy that had some suggestions. Dr. Hu's recommendations is to wait "6 weeks, dependent [does that mean on the bottom?], missionary or side lying. No hip flexion greater than 90 degrees". I also am having problems figuring the mechanics of it.
                        Susan

Comment

Heidi,

Thank you so much for sharing all the things you can do and those that are still difficult :-) I was worried about that too, but guess this is one of the things we have to deal with and hope it will get better with time. I have an idea on how to lift a gas lever in your car - can you use a dressing stick? The hook should be small enough to lift the lever. I already bought a dressing stick and tried pulling a lever in my car using it and it works.

You must have felt so happy and liberated purchasing new swimsuit! What island are you going to? I didn't even go swimming in a long time because I am embarrassed to show everyone my twisted back, but I really love to swim. I hope to be able to do it soon too :-)

Comment

Irena-
                            We are going to the new Disney resort on Ohau and then to the big island. I just purchsed a collapsable dressing stick to add to my gym bag.... I bet it will work to open the gas tank as well.
                            Evelyn- I am on it! I will purchase both items today.
                            Thanks!
                            Heidi
                            53*T 71*L

Comment

Hey susan! I also meant to say that I too, prepared like crazy prior to my surgery. It included meal prep,buying cards in advance, child care, care for me, who was going to help with my medical care here in town, house cleaning, laundry cleaning, and probably anything else you can come up with. I also planned who would man my facebook page, update my family and church. I read up on people's stories and of course devoured all the information I could find on the internet. I will say it did help me endure the wait. Many say the waiting was the worst part... I don't agree with that BUT it was hard. I think knowledge is power. For me, after the surgery was hardest and very painful... even with all the pain meds. Trust me I was on some heavy stuff. With that being said, I made it and have been off all narcotics since four weeks post op. This surgery is not only hard physically but mentally and emotionally as well. I am almost at the point where I can say that I am glad I went through it and I am a stronger, better person because of it. I made it through not only because of a good surgeon but by God's strength within me! I do not know if I could knowingly make the decision to go through this surgery knowing what I went through. I thought I was prepared and knew what to expect. In a way I think one can never quite prepare for it. I think you just have to make the decision, prepare what you can (all the above plus eating and exercising), pray, and trust in your surgeon.
                              Best,
                              Heidi
                              53*T 71*L

Comment

Hey susan! I also meant to say that I too, prepared like crazy prior to my surgery. It included meal prep,buying cards in advance, child care, care for me, who was going to help with my medical care here in town, house cleaning, laundry cleaning, and probably anything else you can come up with. I also planned who would man my facebook page, update my family and church. I read up on people's stories and of course devoured all the information I could find on the internet. I will say it did help me endure the wait. Many say the waiting was the worst part... I don't agree with that BUT it was hard. I think knowledge is power. For me, after the surgery was hardest and very painful... even with all the pain meds. Trust me I was on some heavy stuff. With that being said, I made it and have been off all narcotics since four weeks post op. This surgery is not only hard physically but mentally and emotionally as well. I am almost at the point where I can say that I am glad I went through it and I am a stronger, better person because of it. I made it through not only because of a good surgeon but by God's strength within me! I do not know if I could knowingly make the decision to go through this surgery knowing what I went through. I thought I was prepared and knew what to expect. In a way I think one can never quite prepare for it. I think you just have to make the decision, prepare what you can (all the above plus eating and exercising), pray, and trust in your surgeon.
                                Best,
                                Heidi
                                Hi Heidi,

What were the things that you found yourself not prepared for? I am also planning everything I can under the sun, but I am sure there would be something I overlooked. From your experience, what were those things?

Comment

Working...
                                X