I'm new, college student contemplating surgery :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
    Wow, that's quick! Agree on yesterday. At 43 degrees and with the pelvic misalignment suggesting decompensation (methinks, perhaps, maybe), those asymmetrically supporting muscles can fatigue rapidly leaving the body without much support at all...then progression. Even at a few months out, she could try what I suggested. If she has a large postural element to that main curve, as seems so, focused work for even a few months would lop that off. Again, nothing to lose.
    It's possible they will deny surgery because she is only at 43*. It would be a kick in the teeth if they then needed to go below L3. Dr. Hey often uses the phrase, "a stitch in time saves nine" in reference to people who would have benefited from earlier fusion. Marissa might try to get a consult from him.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      It's possible they will deny surgery because she is only at 43*. It would be a kick in the teeth if they then needed to go below L3. Dr. Hey often uses the phrase, "a stitch in time saves nine" in reference to people who would have benefited from earlier fusion. Marissa might try to get a consult from him.
      I was thinking that too because of the relatively low degree. It certainly makes sense for Marissa to seek opinion and knowledge. And give correction a try while she's seeking that input. (I don't know this Dr Hey?)
      07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
      11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
      05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
      12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
      05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Here is one o f Dr. Hey's blog posts where he uses the phrase...

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2007/...scoliosis.html

This woman was screwed because there is not a single surgeon who would have operated on the T30*.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Here is one o f Dr. Hey's blog posts where he uses the phrase...

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2007/...scoliosis.html

This woman was screwed because there is not a single surgeon who would have operated on the T30*.
          Skimmed it quickly, Sharon. Thanks. Listen to this. The first few explanatory paragraphs about curve progression are like reading KATERINA SCHROTH! No joke! The guy's explanation of curve progression is so similar. This is why I've said before that I've learned reams about non-invasive treatment by reading surgical papers and articles. As you know, I'm not an advocate of surgery, but that doesn't stop me learning from that field. I agree with the guy on the paragraphs I read. Th e only difference would be that he would operate, I would do what we do to correct. Both looking to achieve the same goal, stop this inevitable progression for curves of this degree.

For Marissa, the issue would be, 'Can focused, specific non-invasive treatment get this goddamn curve down below the progression threshold quickly enough to avoid surgery?'

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

hi Marissa
            please do not let any discussion of need for immediate decision
            frighten you...
            this is all what you would be best off discussing with your surgeon...
            or any surgeon you might want to get another opinion from...
            there is a list of top scoli surgeons all across the country,
            on this scoliosis website...under "resources"

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              hi Marissa
              please do not let any discussion of need for immediate decision
              frighten you...
              this is all what you would be best off discussing with your surgeon...
              or any surgeon you might want to get another opinion from...
              there is a list of top scoli surgeons all across the country,
              on this scoliosis website...under "resources"

jess...& Sparky
              I agree! This is just to suggest some questions that relate to length of fusion to ask her surgeon. I am very sure I made that clear. Nobody here is a surgeon so we can't know the answers to these questions.

Marissa is not technically surgical in terms of hitting the trigger angle of 50*. So there is no rush from that stand point. But as Dr. Hey's blogs point out over and over again, there are other considerations like length of fusion and where it ends and what that means. There are some things known about this and the surgeon can tell you what they are if you know to ask.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I agree with surgery sooner

I just want to reiterate that although I'm not happy with my physical appearance my flexibility is great! (T4-L1)
                I wish I had surgery sooner so that my compensating curve didn't get so large. And maybe my muscles and soft tissue wouldn't be so imbalanced.
                I also did PT- and although it greatly reduced my pain - it did not stop my curves from progressing.
                Just my experience. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by king14 View Post
                  I also did PT- and although it greatly reduced my pain - it did not stop my curves from progressing. Just my experience. Good luck!!
                  Apologies if you've posted this elsewhere: what type of exercise did you do? Might help the poster to decide what not to try.

Comment

Hi, I've done numerous types of PT. one lung breathing, stretching short side, strengthening weak side. Aqua therapy, soft tissue manipulation, electric Stim.... The list goes on... I haven't followed Schroth which is what I believe you do... But It has peaked my interest, especially now - willing to try anything that may improve the imbalances in my appearance and my post surgical lean... I wouldn't rule out PT- I was just giving my experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by king14 View Post
                      Hi, I've done numerous types of PT. one lung breathing, stretching short side, strengthening weak side. Aqua therapy, soft tissue manipulation, electric Stim.... The list goes on... I haven't followed Schroth which is what I believe you do... But It has peaked my interest, especially now - willing to try anything that may improve the imbalances in my appearance and my post surgical lean... I wouldn't rule out PT- I was just giving my experience with it.
                      H King

My post above was TOO short, seemed abrupt. It wasn't intended so. That's a problem with online discussion, easy to accidentally convey the wrong impression. I should have said something like "I'm really intrigued as to what you did."

In addition to much other stuff, yes, we do a lot of KATERINA Schroth type training (not to be confused with the "NU POWER SCHROTH" currently proliferating in the USA).

Regards
                      Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X