tutoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutoring

My daughter is scheduled for fusion in January.
    I am about to meet with the school to plan for a tutor, etc.
    Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how you set up tutoring, etc.?
    She is a freshmen in High School.

Thanks,

Ann
    Mother to 14 year old daughter
    Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
    Boston Brace for 5 years.
    Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
    surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
    3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
    Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Originally posted by arairdon View Post

Thanks,

Ann
    I think you will need someone who is from Maine to comment. I suspect all states are different. For example, here in NC tutoring only kicks in after 6 weeks out but the surgeon said kids are usually back between 3-4 weeks so it doesn't apply. And he was right twice with both my girls.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks,

Ann
      Ann

Call the school. They have HomeBound student programs at most public schools (here anyway) and I cannot think that a child out sick for extended time is uncommon. Typically the teacher can come to the home or send work ahead.

Comment

your child has to be accommodated....
        she qualifies as temporarily in need of special services...
        you might need a letter from doctor explaining how long her
        physical movement will be limited in terms of getting to school and participating in classes....but she is protected under the law...
        you might want to ask them about their 504 accommodations and how
        they take care of it in her school....
        there is research available on the internet...
        for example.....

"The parent must provide the school corporation with the Medical Referral for Homebound Instruction completed by a physician with an unlimited license to practice medicine prior to the start of the homebound instruction."

best regards...
        jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I am not worried about getting services. I was just wondering what worked as far as getting your kids caught back up. Did you do tutoring at your home after say week 3 post op? Did you do tutoring after school once they were back in school? Or did your child just work with their teachers once they were back in the swing of things?

Thanks,

Ann R.
          Mother to 14 year old daughter
          Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
          Boston Brace for 5 years.
          Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
          surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
          3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
          Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

i am not sure why you would not want
            teachers coming to your home as soon as the surgeon says
            your child is well enough for schoolwork...
            it is not the same as tutoring...
            it is home instruction....by a certified teacher....

so i still do not really understand your question...
            and if schoolwork is a concern, there is the option of having surgery
            during summer break....IF the child were willing and the surgeon
            agreed to the time frame....

jess

Comment

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I am not worried about getting services. I was just wondering what worked as far as getting your kids caught back up. Did you do tutoring at your home after say week 3 post op? Did you do tutoring after school once they were back in school? Or did your child just work with their teachers once they were back in the swing of things?

Thanks,

Ann R.
              First I want to say that I agree with Jess... if possible schedule during a school break.

One of my daughters had her surgery as a freshman in high school. She was back between 3 and 4 weeks but there was a bunch of material to catch up with because they are on semester scheduling like college. So missing one day is like missing two days of regular high school. Classes are 90 minutes long. She started doing missed work on her own at home during the second week post-op when she could sit comfortably but she was still not able to go back to school. She got through some missed work that way. I think she may have emailed questions to the teachers. She had geometry, biology, mandatory gym (taken out and put in creative writing as soon as I told them about the surgery), and visual arts I. I helped a little with geometry but I didn't help with other classes. I did offer to help her do the missed biology labs at home but I think she made those up after she returned. She did work at school with the biology and geometry teachers during lunch (also about 90 minutes to allow students to visit teachers) as I recall to fully catch back up. She caught up fairly quickly.

I think your daughter may surprise you with how she is able to start doing work at home and how she might return to school quicker than you might imagine. It probably depends on how they handle the surgery/anesthesia, how long the fusion is, where he fusion is, etc. Then there is variation within all that.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Good Planning to Think of This Ahead of Time

Thanks,

Ann R.
                Hi Ann,

You can also request assignments ahead of time. It is fairly simple to give an outline of scheduled school work for the anticipated weeks your daughter will miss school. The reading assignments for most subjects can be completed ahead of time, and then the other pieces can be fit in over the following weeks. Teachers can also modify assignments somewhat; making sure the core work is addressed, while dropping the extra practice work. Most teachers are flexible when they know what is happening and are given time to write a modified schedule. Another area of adjustment is reports, if there are more than one due during that period, the teacher can, at her discretion, allow a single paper to meet the requirements of two subjects. For example, a L.A. report addressing a grammar lesson and research AND History or Science report addressing content may be met with a single report just this one time. It would allow the student to get caught up and still provide the basic lessons.

Talk to her teacher to see what a good fit is for your daughter and her lessons.

A Mom

Comment

Ashleigh is 4wks post op, and we had a tough time getting the school to assign us a tutor. We told them about the surgery in August. Ashleigh's orthopedic surgeon faxed the school a letter, and we didn't get a tutor assigned to us until the day before her surgery. It took my husband calling the school and telling them how it was going to be. They totally ignored my visits and letters. We are in Ohio and Ashleigh's tutor started coming about 1 1/2 weeks after her surgery. She comes every afternoon around 4pm and stays for an hour or a little more.

ETA: a lot of Ashleigh's teachers have relieved her of certain assignments, so that helps. for the most part she is not that far behind the kids in school. She works on her school work every day, so she can turn in papers to the tutor. The tutor gives her tests to take while she is here also.
                  Last edited by madileigh; 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Here in FL we were told we'd have a home-bound teacher but our county leveled w me post-surgery that it wasn't affordable. We had requested assignments/projects ahead of time & he did those over Christmas break. At 3 wks post, I began working w him on school work - the teachers really did cut back on assignments, which was good as he could not focus at all even though he was no longer on pain killers. Don't forget about elevator passes for school & releasing 5-10 min early out o class to keep her out of the packed hallways & stairs. Also - school books for home so she's not carrying them around. Best of luck to you both!
                    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Working...
                    X