Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
    13 years nine months and a half
    For most girls, height velocity growth decreases substantially when you start your periods. You will grow more after you start your periods for the next few years, but not anywhere as fast as you did for the 2 years before you started your menstrual period. Your age, therefore is not as important as the start of your period as a marker for height growth predictor.
    Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
      I used to be 5' 2.5" and was measured at the osteoporosis screening center at 4'11". Does that qualify me to join The Little People of America Club? Maybe I have a future as a munchkin? My next lifetime, I'm coming back as a 6'2" Amazon woman and am going to join the Marine Corps. Watch out!
      Susan
      Haha maybe you will Susan! To be considered a midget in America u have to be 4'10"(male) or 4'8"(female)

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1538980/

Vertebral height growth predominates over intervertebral disc height growth in adolescents with scoliosis.
        Ian A.F. Stokes, PhD and Luke Windisch, BS*
        Author information ► Copyright and License information ►
        The publisher's final edited version of this article is available at Spine (Phila Pa 1976)
        See other articles in PMC that cite the published article.
        Go to:
        Abstract
        Study Design

A cross sectional study of spinal stereo radiographs of adolescents with scoliosis to measure growth.

Objective

To determine the relative contributions of the vertebral bodies and the intervertebral discs to the increase in spinal length between T5 to L5 over the age range 7.5 to 20 years.

Summary of Background Data

The progression of spinal deformity (scoliosis) is associated with skeletal growth, but the relative roles of asymmetrical growth and remodelling of the vertebrae and discs during adolescent growth is unclear.

Methods

An existing database of 406 spinal stereo radiographic studies of 188 adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis, aged between 7.5 and 20 years was used to measure the heights of vertebral bodies and of intervertebral discs and the summation of both (spinal length).

Results

Spinal length was observed to increase from about 250 mm to 350 mm over this range of ages. Spinal growth was associated with increase in vertebral height after age 10 years, with minimal if any increase in disc height. The contribution of vertebral and discal height was estimated to be about 17 and 8 mm per year respectively at age 7.5 years, but discal height growth was estimated to be effectively zero after age 12.

Conclusion

Spinal growth of patients with scoliosis aged between 10 and 20 years occurs almost exclusively by height increases in the vertebrae, not the discs.

Mini-Abstract

Spinal length over the range T5 to L5, and its components due to vertebral height and discal height were measured from 406 spinal stereo radiographic studies of 188 adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis, aged between 7.5 and 20 years. This cross-sectional analysis indicated that after age 10 years spinal growth was associated with increase in vertebral height, with minimal if any increase in disc height.
        I just read your abstract, but I am wondering if he used time of menarche for the girls? Growth is very different for a girl who starts menstruating at 10 vs 16 [the ends of the normal extremes]. Seems to me that growth would be more dependent on menstraul age than chronical age for girls. Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
          Haha maybe you will Susan! To be considered a midget in America u have to be 4'10"(male) or 4'8"(female)
          Kat, you have such wonderful trivia info! What a relief! Hope that I don't lose 4 more inches [5'now]...maybe if I have surgery, I will gain some more height! Thanks for the information! But watch out, I'm serious about the 6'2" Amazon woman! Susan

Comment

I just read your abstract, but I am wondering if he used time of menarche for the girls? Growth is very different for a girl who starts menstruating at 10 vs 16 [the ends of the normal extremes]. Seems to me that growth would be more dependent on menstraul age than chronical age for girls. Susan
            I am sure the large variation in the data reflects this point. It's fairly scattered though there is still a clear trend.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Kat, you have such wonderful trivia info! What a relief! Hope that I don't lose 4 more inches [5'now]...maybe if I have surgery, I will gain some more height! Thanks for the information! But watch out, I'm serious about the 6'2" Amazon woman! Susan
              Haha no problemo Susan! I know you r serious about being a 6'2" amazon wome
              Because you sound determined!!

Comment

I have to agree with Susan but then again it is based on average, right?

Comment

Working...
                X