Itch you just cant scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itch you just cant scratch

Ugh!!!! Anyone ever have a terrible itch in a numb patch, so it's under the skin on my shoulder blade and it itches but the Top skin is numb so it wont go away:-(. Driving me crazy!!!!

Pink, original baby lotion helps with the itch. Sound weird but it works. The numbness I have not found a cure for.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I know exactly what you are talking about. Zertec was the thing that saved me. I still have it on hand since I get that even yet on occasion especially in the numb spots that I assume are permanent but not really a problem. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Oh I remember that well! I don't remember exactly when it got so much better. I remember wanting to scratch my skin raw back there. I definitely still had problems with it for at least 18 months. Now 4 years later I'm perfectly fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My son had his surgery December 2010, and just this month there were 2 days straight that the itching was driving him INSANE on his numb spots (which is most of his back & left arm). But, we've also noticed lately that he has feeling coming back in his back and the last 2 times he has been hit by the baseball while up to bat on his left arm he hurts afterwards!!! Great news!!
          Angie Romero, Mom to Alex, Dominic & Marissa.
          Alex was fused from T2-L2 at the age of 12 on Dec 22, 2010
          By Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital

Comment

Yep, I am a bit over one year post-op and still have itchiness where there is no feeling in my back. Sigh. I have tried imagining me feeling the scratching. Not sure if it helped but eventually the itchiness went away.

Life can be weird.

Think of how much taller you are and how much more slender you look! :-)
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Yes the itch that can just drive you crazy!I still have it in one nerve path in the chest wall. The Dr said it can take up to 5 years to go away. I take gabapentin. It does help. We are trying to reduce the use now,but I still need it for the itching!
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

Healing itch

I noticed that awful itch during the healing period. Acetamnophen aka Tylenol really helped me.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                X