Scott update - TRS worked!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott update - TRS worked!!!

Scott just had his 9 year old checkup and his back remained stable at 20 degrees after a year of growth. WE ARE OVERJOYED!!!!

2008 - Age 5 - 11 degrees
    2009 - Age 6 - 14 degrees (or thereabouts)
    2010 - Age 7 - 18.6 degrees (Torso Rotation and computer measurements began here)
    2011 - Age 8 - 20.2 degrees
    2012 - Age 9 - 20.0 degrees

We began torso rotation just before Scott turned 7 and his back has remained stable since. Amazingly enough it still worked despite the fact that he didn't properly fit into the machine until he was 8.5 years old. The upshot is that he's only been doing the exercise with correct form for the past 6 months. We only do it twice per week and it takes a matter of minutes. Whatever TRS does, IT WORKS!

I'm eternally indebted to Dr. Vert Mooney for discovering this exercise and Dr. Kevin McIntire for doing the followup research.

Here is a link to my TRS thread. This thread includes all of the study links for parents.

Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis
    Last edited by Dingo; 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM.

That is GREAT news, Dingo! I hope he continues to hold.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      That is GREAT news, Dingo! I hope he continues to hold.
      Hi Rohrer01

You and me both! But honestly I feel like 95% of the pressure is off and my blood pressure can go back to normal. 8-) Scott has been stable for 2 years which is as long as he's been doing TRS. If any curve remains at adulthood I'm confident that 20 or 30 years from now there will be some sort of advanced technology to fix it.

So basically I'm going to stop thinking/worrying about Scoliosis. I've got other fish to fry now. 8-)

Comment

I'm glad you can finally relax a bit. Go fry those fish, but please keep us updated on your son. It would be nice to see how this plays out to the finish.

Take Care.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

I absolutely will. He gets his checkup once a year and I'll keep posting. See ya!

Comment

Hi Dingo,

I'm happy for you and Scott, and glad to hear he is stable. Hopefully he will never progress. Thanks for the updates.

I am quite sure all of us wish we'd never heard of scoliosis!!
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

We just got back from Scott's yearly checkup at the pediatrician's office.

He grew 2 inches this year and 2 inches last year. So he's grown 4 inches without progression.

We'll shoot for another 2 inches of stability this year. 8-)

Comment

Congratulations Dingo - You know how this makes my heart smile!

Comment

Scott's 2013 update

Scott update

We just got back from Scott's yearly appointment and his curve improved by 1 degree since last year.

These are his results so far.
                  2008 - Age 5 - 11 degrees
                  2009 - Age 6 - 14 degrees (or thereabouts)
                  2010 - Age 7 - 18.6 degrees (Torso Rotation and computer measurements began here)
                  2011 - Age 8 - 20.2 degrees
                  2012 - Age 9 - 20.0 degrees
                  2013 - Age 10 - 19.0 degrees (9am this morning)

If you'd like to see the machine Scott uses at home here is a link that includes pictures and a description of his exercises.

Torso Rotation Therapy - How Scott is doing update

Comment

Congratulations Dingo! Scott is very lucky to have a father like you! Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing what you are doing. We are all very excited for you and your success!
                    "The most deadly action you can take is to internalize someone else's negativity, for once you start to believe it, you’re sunk."

Comment

Working...
                    X