Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected long term complication of anterior approach for revision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anterior Approach

Hi Karen...I had a bowel obstruction in 1989....was very blindsighted by it. I had a bowel resection and almost didn't make it when after the surgey I had hemorrhaging and they didnt know if they would have to go back in...bleeding stopped and i have been ok since all that happened. I am replying because if you have uncontrollable diarrhea from the surgery, you will have to take what I call my "miracle medicine" Welchol Cholecystramine. I can eat anything and I dont have to worry about "dumping". Sorry for TMI but this was a life saver for me. If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Pat
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Anterior Approach

SORRY!!!!! Forgot to include in my last post that MY BOWEL OBSTRUCTION HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SPINAL SURGERY IN 1963 and also I have never had an anterior revision....wanted to tell all of you so you wouldn't be concerned.
      Pat
      1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
      1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
      Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
      December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

OMG Karen, I am so happy that you're ok. How absolutely scary. Take care of yourself.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

abdominal approach

Any time the abdomen is entered scar tissue(adhesions) are a given. Once the bowel is pushed aside or manipulated this happens. Scar tissue from any abdominal surgery can later cause small bowel obstruction. This includes even a C section.

Linda, I do not understand what you mean by "going through muscle" not being a problem. A thoracotomy, by itself, does not disturb the bowel because there are no bowels in the chest. Going anteriorly, by my right hip to the spine, involved pushing the bowel aside. There is no way to avoid going through abdominal muscle when going through the abdomen. When I had the hysterectomy the surgeon removed my appendix because it was bound up with adhesions from the anterior approach.

Interestingly, when they released my adhesions this time, I have more room for abdominal breathing. Unfortunately, the adhesions always come back.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

In this article, its 90% and up to 20 years.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhesion_(medicine)

I am understanding more about this and will be prepared. I now can see why I had to beg for my surgeries.....

I still am very greatful for my surgeries,and pain free.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Karen, you're saying that adhesions and scar tissue always grow back? I would think the surgery you just had would create its own scar tissue all over again, is that right? Is there any way to see or get images of adhesions before they become dangerous?

I gotta tell you, this whole thing freaks me out.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris

Try not to freak out...its going to be alright.

More info....

http://www.adhesions.org/index.htm

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Can be > 20 years and Adhesion Barriers

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  In this article, its 90% and up to 20 years.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhesion_(medicine)

I am understanding more about this and will be prepared. I now can see why I had to beg for my surgeries.....

I still am very greatful for my surgeries,and pain free.

Ed
                  The info from wikipedia says that it can occur 20 years or more. My mom at age 87 had an intestional obstruction from intestines getting struck through a scar from her hysterectomy when she was 45. At her age [87], the surgeon gave her a 50-50 chance of surviving the surgery. She had a heart attack during the surgery which lead to congestive heart failure and she died a few months later. So, I guess that you are never completely "out of the woods".

I will ask my surgeon about "adhesion barriers" and if he uses them. More info about the barriers is in the wikipedia cut that Ed posted.
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Karen,
                    I'm so glad you are okay now. What a scary ordeal. We'd like to think that we wouldn't have complications so long after the surgery. Dr. Lenke does a "reach around" method to get to the anterior side of the spine so that there is no anterior incision. After reading your post, I wonder how many surgeons still have the anterior and posterior approach. . .
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                      Any time the abdomen is entered scar tissue(adhesions) are a given. Once the bowel is pushed aside or manipulated this happens. Scar tissue from any abdominal surgery can later cause small bowel obstruction. This includes even a C section.

Linda, I do not understand what you mean by "going through muscle" not being a problem. A thoracotomy, by itself, does not disturb the bowel because there are no bowels in the chest. Going anteriorly, by my right hip to the spine, involved pushing the bowel aside. There is no way to avoid going through abdominal muscle when going through the abdomen. When I had the hysterectomy the surgeon removed my appendix because it was bound up with adhesions from the anterior approach.

Interestingly, when they released my adhesions this time, I have more room for abdominal breathing. Unfortunately, the adhesions always come back.
                      Hi Karen....

Instead of cutting through muscle, they now split the muscle. I haven't actually seen it done, but you can read about the technique here.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                      X