Should I be a scoliosis surgeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be a scoliosis surgeon?

Scoliosis had a huge effect in my life and I was operated by one of the best scoliosis surgeons in the world he and his mentor are very well know all over the world

I always wanted to work on a medical field and ever since I fail the scoliosis screening at school almost two years ago I've been researching like crazy. I know you need a lot Of muscles for this surgery so I was wondering should I be a scoliosis surgeon

I have a few question:

How long does it take to become a scoliosis surgeon
    Do you think it'll be a good job for me
    My surgeon is 37 so do you think he could be my mentor?(I love my surgeon to death!! I love how he presented everything and how he's just so much fun to talk to and I love how he's straight forward and honest he has nothing to hide!)

Also can I get volunteer hours if I work with him(the problem is how can I help him. Maybe talk with patients and pull up xrays on his computer?)

Thanks in advance!
    Kat
    Last edited by Kat3573; 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM.

Hi Kat,

I think you would bring a very unique and valuable perspective to scoliosis patients if you became a scoliosis surgeon, or any type of physician for that matter. Having this surgery as a teen definitely changes your perspective on life.

I think your surgeon would be the best person to answer your questions, especially since you already have such a good rapport with him.

Good luck, and I am glad that you're doing so well!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Actually I'm a little shy to ask him that Idk why

I asked him wha made him be a spinal surgeon and he said

I could do plastic surgery, orthopedics surgery, on nurosurgery. I don't like plastic surgery and I didn't chose brain surgery because they use small instruments so I chose orthopedics. I became a scoliosis surgeon because it uses big tools like drills and stuff and it deals with the nerves and brain which I wanted from nurosurgery

That's why my doctor became a scoliosis surgeon

Comment

I would never recommend that anyone with a back as "special" as ours become a surgeon (or a dentist, carpenter, etc.)... you get the picture. Surgeons have a lot of problems with their spines.

To answer your question about time, it takes 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency, and at least 1 year of fellowship.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Kat
          there are many areas of medicine that you might investigate,
          if helping people in the area of personal health is of interest
          to you....all kinds of careers, besides becoming a surgeon....
          from doctor, nurse, physical therapist, occupational therapist,
          lab technician....many different areas of mediciine to look into...

i hope you feel better every day....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Hey Kat

Hey Kat! Am really very impressed with Your great passion..And really appreciate you for having such passion..
            Wishing you very best of luck..
            I also wants to be a scoliosis surgeon And requests you that when after a nice research when you will get the answer,let me know..;P
            To me all use to say that this is very tough field for me and all scoliosis patients and not suitable..
            Because it needs lot of hard work and our backs are already very effected..

REGARDS
            FATIMAH..
            I am more stronger than scoliosis. And I will not allow it to control my life.

Comment

Hi, Kat!

I agree with Linda about NOT becoming a scoliosis surgeon. You would need a great deal of physical strength to do this job. One thing I have noticed is that there are never any counselors that are there specifically for patients and their families. You could possibly go into the counseling and pioneer the specific field of scoliosis counseling. That would be a great plus to us scolis and our families! Then you could still help those with this condition. What better person to talk to than someone with experience with all aspects of this disease! I'm sure that whatever you do, you will do with great care and skill. We're all proud of you!
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

But I already mapped out a career for Kat (in my mind) in research studying the etiology of scoliosis using molecular biology.

Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  i'm sure that whatever you do, you will do with great care and skill. We're all proud of you!

:d

Comment

If not scoliosis surgeon how about I become a.......

NEUROSURGEON!!

Comment

Anyone else wants tO give me their opinion?

Comment

Kat...

Surgeons have to spend a lot of time bent over the operating table. It's just not something you'll want to do for the rest of your life, and an almost certain guarantee that you'll have degeneration above and/or below your fusion.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dream big and life has a funny way of figuring itself out! Now you have an incentive to do well in school and then reach for the stars...I would not tell you what to do or be and if you find that you have some limitations in stamina then you'll find that out and knowing what little I do of you, you'll find an alternative that is even better. Your attitude is awesome and I wish the best.
                          Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                          X