Yoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga

I started doing yoga with Elise Miller (she specializes in back care and has scoliosis herself) and really liked it. I’ve never done yoga before and my first two sessions were very enjoyable. Is yoga allowed after fusion? Not right away, of course, but after a year?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Originally posted by Irina View Post
    I started doing yoga with Elise Miller (she specializes in back care and has scoliosis herself) and really liked it. I’ve never done yoga before and my first two sessions were very enjoyable. Is yoga allowed after fusion? Not right away, of course, but after a year?
    absolutely. My dr. said if i feel up to it between 4-6 months I could go back to yoga. I am being fused from T4-L1 so that might effect the time range that my dr gave me, but I know for sure a year post op you can.

Comment

Originally posted by king14 View Post
      absolutely. My dr. said if i feel up to it between 4-6 months I could go back to yoga. I am being fused from T4-L1 so that might effect the time range that my dr gave me, but I know for sure a year post op you can.
      I like that answer! I do find yoga very useful pre-op and have thought it'd be hard to never do it again. Good to hear there is still hope for some yoga, at some point post-op!

Comment

I started Yoga ten months after my surgery. If anyone lives or works in NYC, this place is wonderful for anyone with a back issue/fusion/scoliosis, etc. I highly recommend it.

http://www.yogaunionbackcare.com/
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
        X