Dressing Stick and Sock Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing Stick and Sock Aid

I am reading David Wolpert’s book and getting a lot of information there. I have a question that wasn’t covered in much detail there. For how long have you used a dressing stick and sock aid (especially if you are fused to the sacrum)? Please tell me you don’t have to use it forever as the picture of me pulling my pants on with that stick makes me cringe… Are these tools only needed during the first year and then you ditch it? Yes??? What about leggings or pantyhose? Are these going to be out for good or there are some creative ways to pull them on?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Originally posted by Irina View Post
    I am reading David Wolpert’s book and getting a lot of information there. I have a question that wasn’t covered in much detail there. For how long have you used a dressing stick and sock aid (especially if you are fused to the sacrum)? Please tell me you don’t have to use it forever as the picture of me pulling my pants on with that stick makes me cringe… Are these tools only needed during the first year and then you ditch it? Yes??? What about leggings or pantyhose? Are these going to be out for good or there are some creative ways to pull them on?
    I used the sock aid for a few months, I was certain I would have to use it forever! Now I can put them on at 6 months on my own with no problems. I used the dressing stick once and a while to help pull up my underwear and pants just to the point where I could reach them for a couple months and then was able to do it on my own. As far as the pantyhose...I haven't tried, I don't see how it is possible at this time but I don't believe it will be out forever. I never really wore them anyway so I never gave it much thought. I also lifted my arms above my head right after surgery and thought I wouldn't be able to because other's couldn't. We are all so different, even when we have the same length fusions, etc.
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
    was told my curves would never progress
    at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
    2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
    new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
    Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
    Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
    Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

I never needed the dressing stick, but used the sock aide for at least 6 months. I have managed to get panty hose on twice, but it is not easy. I usually go bare legged. It took a long time to be able to tie my tennis shoes in the middle, but can now do it. Everything gets easier each month.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I had neither. There were times I wished I had something. Looking back, I think vision of me getting dressed would have been hilarious. Stockings/tights? Forget 'em for the first 6 months. At least.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Only 16 weeks in here, but I use a chair, dressing stick, grabber and sock device every day. I could go without some, but it would hurt more. So why?

I do not have any problem getting shirts over my head and never had to wear button-ups.
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I didn't need the dressing stick, although I used my trust grabber for that purpose for the first couple of weeks after surgery. I loved the sock donner though - used it for maybe 6 months. I am almost two years out now, and panty hose (or anything else) are no problem for me.
            Cheers,
            Nancy
            Age 58
            Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
            original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
            fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Wow, that's great, Nancy! I hate pantyhose, but good to know I'll be able to wear them someday if I need to!
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nanlo View Post
                I didn't need the dressing stick, although I used my trust grabber for that purpose for the first couple of weeks after surgery. I loved the sock donner though - used it for maybe 6 months. I am almost two years out now, and panty hose (or anything else) are no problem for me.
                Cheers,
                Nancy
                Great, Nancy! If I do this surgery, it won't be for cosmetic reasons, but it would be a huge bonus. If I get it, I'll live in dresses and would want to wear panty house in the office. This dress would be like a carrot stick for me during recovery :-) I don't wear dresses because I look ridiculous in them, the only ones I can wear are with a jacket on top. It would be such a thrill to be able to wear any dress I want!
                Last edited by Irina; 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM.
                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                X