Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody else been told to wear a bone growth stimulator since surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody else been told to wear a bone growth stimulator since surgery?

I don't remember if I've asked this question before or not; I don't think I have.

Ever since the day after my first post-op visit (which was about 3 weeks after surgery), I've been told to wear a bone growth stimulator from Orthofix (http://us.orthofix.com/products/spin...tim.asp?cid=37) for 4 hours every single day. I haven't been given an end date for this as of yet. I'm going to ask about it at my upcoming follow-up visit on July 5th, but was just curious if I'm the only one who has been prescribed a similar device to wear for several hours every day after surgery.

-- Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Mary,

I wore the bone growth stimulator four hours a day for nine months. So far as I know, it helps older people to fuse. There are other threads on here about the bone growth stimulator. Just do a search and your should find them.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Mary,

I also have been wearing a bone growth stimulator since about 2 weeks post-op. Mine is by Biomet, and I wear it continuously except when I am showering or in the pool. I am now almost 5 months post-op major revision for pseudoarthrosis/broken rods. I will be checking with my surgeon at my 6 month appt if I need to still wear it.

On an interesting side note, I originally got a call from another bone stimulator company saying my surgeon had prescribed the device but that my share of the cost would be over $1600. (We have 70/30 coverage for durable medical equipment, so that is one expensive little device). I told my surgeon's office this was a hardship (especially while I was off work) and they arranged for me to have the Biomet for free under some compassionate access program. I hope this info may help others in the future to have access to more affordable medical equipment.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
        I originally got a call from another bone stimulator company saying my surgeon had prescribed the device but that my share of the cost would be over $1600. (We have 70/30 coverage for durable medical equipment, so that is one expensive little device).
        Fortunately my insurance has coverage for durable medical equipment with no co-pay or deductible -- at least as far as I know, though I assume they probably negotiate with the vendors for favorable pricing. My husband works for the State of New York, so it is a statewide insurance plan (Empire Plan). It cost me nothing.
        -- Mary D. Taffet
        Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
        Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

For both of my surgeries, I had to wear a bone growth simulator for 4 hours a day for about 6 months. My insurance covered it both times
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Bone Stimulator

I, too, was given the choice to wear a bone stimulator. My surgeon said it was to help with the fusion. I wear mine a total of 4 hours a day. I do not do the whole 4 hours at one time. I break it up throughout the day. I am only 5 weeks post-op and do not know right now how many months I have to wear it.

Marjorie
            Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
            Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
            After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
            Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
            X