Trouble sleeping at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
    Also I have a massage therapist that does microfacial--I've just forgotten the name; that doesn't sound right! It's something like that but she really does help. It's a very light touch.
    I'm guessing the word you were trying to recall is myofascial, as in myofascial release; the page at http://www.myofascialrelease.com/fas...al_release.asp appears to have a decent description of it.

I'm planning to get a massage from the best massage therapist in this area before too long; he's also a chiropractor, but I won't be using him for any adjustments -- just massage as soon as I can manage to get over there.

-- Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Yes, that's it. I hope you get to enjoy your massage soon!
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
        Yes, that's it. I hope you get to enjoy your massage soon!
        Right now, I'd settle for no twinges on the top of my right foot; they kept me awake all night last night. It's got to be the nerves attempting to reconnect. Every few seconds, I had to put my left heel on top of my right foot and apply some pressure in an effort to try to quiet the sensations. Makes it VERY difficult to sleep!
        -- Mary D. Taffet
        Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
        Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Aaaaahhhhhi

I'm "bumping" this threAd, because my God insomnia is the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced!! I'm on day 4 of zero sleep and I wanna jump off a building im so frustrated. I'm not sleeping during the day to make sure I'm tired. I get outta bed at 730/8 everyday -stay up till about 130am -sleep for 45 min and.... Wide awake --// till 530... Sleep till 730. I'm so aggrevated.... I am praying this "passes" whAt a weird weird surgery... Isn't my body tired??? It's been through hell and back??

Comment

Hi Sara,

I am so sorry about your insomnia - that must be awful. I remember reading that a lot of people had the same problem. I guess, it's very common (if it makes you to feel any better...). Hopefully somebody will respond with some advice.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

You're off all pain medication, aren't you? I don't know why your body won't allow you to sleep but if you've gone four days without sleep, perhaps your GP could help. You may be against all meds, I don't know. All I know is, I used to be against taking these things but now accept them gracefully when in need. They aren't the long term answer of course, but it might get you over this hump and break this bad "habit" you've got into. I'd say your body definitely needs sleep at this crucial healing stage.

I feel for you because I've been an insomniac since age 50. It's no fun. The only time I slept well was post op, the opposite of you. The meds had me sleeping 10-13 hours a day. It was WONDERFUL!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jen, sent you PM...

i agree with what Jen wrote...
                sleep is important when healing...
                hope you fall asleep finally...even if from exhaustion...
                and can really get some rest.

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Breathe

Sarafina,

4 days is a long time....

I never went 4 days without sleep but managed to get an hour or two each day. I know, that still sounds pretty bad, but we all have problems with sleeping after our surgeries. It does gets better....

Just getting comfortable is probably the biggest problem, that’s why the foam topper is needed on the bed. The hot baths are probably the best way to unwind...... I liked my water very hot! 106 degrees. Boiling that pain away in a zero gravity scenario worked well. Drink plenty of water.

After quitting meds, your body filters toxins...its obviously a major change once again, and so hard to adjust to. In time, these things will resolve themselves....

Just learning how to unwind is hard....it takes some effort, good positive healing thoughts, (with patience) many short walks, and breathing deep which is essential. That spirometer was given to us for a reason. Its called an “incentive” spirometer. Breathe in and Hold for 2-6 seconds. I still emulate using the device breathing and holding as deep as possible, then exhale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incentive_spirometer

Also, a great song, with great meaning. Learn to breathe and relax.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R49d4f5sEs4

Breathe, breathe in the air
                  Don't be afraid to care
                  Leave but don't leave me
                  Look around and chose your own ground
                  For long you live and high you fly
                  And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
                  And all you touch and all you see
                  Is all your life will ever be
                  Run, run rabbit run
                  Dig that hole, forget the sun,
                  And when at last the work is done
                  Don't sit down it's time to dig another one
                  For long you live and high you fly
                  But only if you ride the tide
                  And balanced on the biggest wave
                  You race toward an early grave.

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you

@Irina and Jess (& Sparky) - Thanks for your thoughts and input!

@Jen - I am "kinda" against meds. I just don't want to get on another pill... that, and I'm having the WORST painful acne from all of this. So i'm trying to avoid the meds... I have gotten some natural stuff and we'll see if that works.. if not, breaking down and calling the dr... tonight will determine it.

It's just quite hard for me because before the surgery, I was up at 445am worked till about 7pm - and by the time I hit the sheets at 11 or so... well I don't remember because I would pass out... that was my schedule for about 9 years. So... this whole "falling alseep" is foreign to me.

@Ed - you ever think of quitted your day job and becoming a life coach? Unless that's what you already do (smiley) since reading your post - the deep breathing has already put me at such a calm demeanor... THank you.
                    I also didn't take into the fact that I used "workout" for a living --- lots of deep breathing -- now, I walk and watch tv for a living.... BIG changes.

Thanks Forum Friends

I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Hi King,

Did you get any sleep? Hope it's getting better.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Pillows?

Does anyone have any suggestions on pillows after surgery? I've been sleeping on my side all my life but since surgery can't without feeling like there is a lot of pressure on my spine. I even tried putting a pillow under the other side of my hip. So I've been sleeping on my back witha foam mattress topper and a towel placed under my lumbar spine for support, but I am laying flat. I was recently diagnosed with atelectasis in both lungs (from surgery) ive been using my spirometer like crazy and I think that maybe if I were in a wedge position or on my side my lungs wouldn't be so sore when I get up after laying for Long periods of time. I am just sick of sleeping for a few Hours and then having To move to the other room to sleep In a recliner.

Advice appreciated!

Hannah

Comment

Hannah

Soft down pillows! As soft as possible, so you can easily mold them. They are also more forgiving if you roll the wrong way which can happen quite a bit. I actually prefer an older down pillow since they really need to be broken in....(run over with a bulldozer) lol

There are a lot of strange feelings in our recoveries. Feelings of pressure at times, feelings of tightness. All these feelings will change as we heal....you will know what I’m talking about in a year. Feelings can also change overnight. All of a sudden you will notice a change and will be able to sleep or roll into a position that’s comfortable. “wow! I can do this, I didn’t know”

Sleeping is one of those things that we really struggle at in our recoveries....I was moving often, and trying everything. In time, as we heal, things get a little easier one day at a time.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sleeping!!

Yes I am sleeping! Thanks for asking. I took nux vomica it's a natural vitamin of some sort found at whole foods. Used for people dealing with insomnia due to medication use. Worked like a charm!!! Sleeping ever since! And still no meds, happy happy girl!

Comment

Working...
                            X