August 8 upcoming surgery with Dr. Lenke/ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jane,
    Your results sound fantastic! I sure hope you continue with recovery so well. Good luck! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Great news!

Edwin thanks for posting! Jane, so glad that you are on the other side and on your way to recovering. Thanks for keeping us updated. Sounds like you have fantastic results! Did you gain any height? Hang in there.
      hugs,
      Heidi
      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
      53*T 71*L
      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Edwin,
        Thank you for posting for Jane. I'm glad she's doing well and her surgery was successful. Dr. Lenke is an artist when reconstructing our backs. Tell Jane not to hesitate to use the pump. I also was relieved that the pain was not anything like I had imagined (feared!!!). I know it's hard on the hubbies, so try to get some rest when you can.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Edwin
          just one more thank you for posting for Jane...
          good to know she came thru surgery OK and has
          begun the healing process....
          i hope her recovery is uneventful and as fast as possible...
          with excellent results when she is all healed...

jess...& Sparky
          Last edited by jrnyc; 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Jane and Edwin:
            Thank you so much for your update. So good to hear about another smooth surgery.
            Keep your chin up Jane!! You did it!!!~~~

Comment

Ed

Great to hear everything is ok with Jane.

Its been a few years now for me, and reading reminds me of the fears I had in immediate recovery. It can be scary adjusting to our new spines, and dealing with the pain. It does get better as time passes, it’s a slow process but totally worth it....You guys hang in there.

BTW, I’m also an Edwin, a fused Edwin (smiley face)

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Day three Post-op

This is day three post op.
                My pain is less than Tuesday and Wednesday, probably because of the pain meds. They are giving me Flexeril 10mg, a muscle relaxant, every eight hours; OxyContin every twelve hours; Percocet every four hours; and Benadryl for itchy skin every six hours. All these combine to make me very sleepy. They are giving me a unit of blood right now and say that it is common to need blood a few days after surgery.

They might remove my drains and bulky dressing on the incision tomorrow.

I just had PT and walked 80 feet and can turn in bed without help. The tech was very pleased with this.

I am very impressed with the staff of Barnes-Jewish Hospital. So far everyone has been very helpful and knowledgeable. At this point I am also pleased with my progress.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Jane

BTW - this post was typed by Edwin, and then edited by Jane's daughter, Neely. It's a real family effort!
                Last edited by jane d; 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks again Edwin and Jane. Things sound very much on track for Jane. I also received blood on day 2 or 3. It made a big difference to how I felt and it stopped the dizziness when I stood up.

"Sleepy" is good, in my opinion. Sleeping at this point is probably the best way for Jane to spend her time!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Day four

Jane has had a good bit more pain today. She is off the pain pump and has had more PT activity today. She walked three times the longest about 100 ft., climbed the three step device, brushed her teeth, and got very tired. She dosed several times but no solid sleep. We are watching the Olympics opening ceremony - the first hour sitting in a chair. Still waiting for bowel activity but did have the first gas. Tomorrow they have planned to remove the drains from her back, the Foley catheter, and the wound dressing. That should make life in bed more comfortable. Tomorrow she should get her first sponge bath.

She has developed a bed sore which hurts but the thick bandage they put on it is also very uncomfortable.

I hope all of you have a great Olympic weekend

Comment

Jane,
                      Sorry to hear about the bed sore! I am surprised that happened after 4 days. Do you know if this is common? I am thinking about you and your family. Sounds like you are doing rather well.
                      Best,
                      Heidi
                      53*T 71*L

Comment

We got worried this morning

This morning Dr. Lenke's Fellow made rounds this morning and said they are concerned about her blood count and fast heart rate (above 100) and said he might want to give another unit of blood and keep us for another day. Now we worry her constant "tiredness" might be blood related instead of the normal lack of sleep from being interrupted all night.

A couple of hours later Dr Lenke's nurse just came by and Dr. Lenke is letting us go home and prescribed an iron supplement for the blood concerns. We are glad to be going home but now have nagging concerns about being tired. I (Edwin) have to remember that the doctor knows more than I do and if he thinks the iron supplement is correct, I should not question it.

However, I have a question.
                        We were told to stay in St. Louis for a few days in the hotel just in case something goes wrong we are close by. Since we are not taking vital's or doing blood work, how do we know if something is going wrong which might be masked by the tiredness we are experiencing?

Jane (by Edwin)

Comment

Edwin

I agree with sticking around, it’s a wise idea and doesn’t cost much.

You know when you are in trouble, you just do. Its probably best to see how Jane is doing and leave it up to her.

Being tired after major surgery is to be expected. Your tired, and sleep if you can get it, isn’t worth much. Sleeping like a cat seems to be part of the program for awhile.

The 1st few weeks are hard weeks...it’s a battle we all go through.

One day at a time.

Ti-Edwin
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I agree with Ed. You'll know if something goes wrong. If it does, and it most likely won't, you'll be glad that you're nearby the hospital.

I think you'll both sleep better in the hotel, than the hospital. By now, you'll both be needing as much sleep as you can get. Sleep goes a long way to making you feel human again!

Personally, I'm also a little doubtful about the iron - she's likely already having constipation problems thanks to the pain meds and iron has a bad reputation that way...but as you say, the doctor does know best. I'd also be feeding her lots of iron rich, high fibre foods and keep her on the laxatives. A little red meat, spinach and bran come to mind - if she can stomach them!

As Ed says, these early days are very worrying, but we all get through it. Good luck and try not to worry.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations on your successful surgery

Wow! I have been on vacation and am so pleased that you are doing well.
                              Be careful about constipation...with pain pills and iron, you will probably have constipation.
                              Take your iron pills with Orange juice or a vitamin c tablet, not with milk.
                              Get some colace. Lots of fiber.
                              Keep a diary of things that I should know.
                              I'm new to all of this, and if and when I need surgery, I will need everone's help.

Take care of yourself.
                              Ed, take care of yourself too.

Susan
                              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

going home

Jane, I am thinking about you as you travel home. Please let me know how it goes.
                                Best wishes and safe travels!
                                Heidi
                                53*T 71*L

Comment

Working...
                                X