Vertigo/Dizziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertigo/Dizziness

Hi all, I had my surgery on May 23rd so I'm not even two weeks post-op.
    I was fused from T5 to T12 for a 40° curve, now after surgery it looks as if my scoliosis is completely gone (not sure of my exact post op degree because I had gotten sick during my first post-op appt so the surgeon didn't have time to measure them)
    I'm pain free for the most part, I take tylonol probably once a day and have tried to stay away from the narcotic pain meds.
    But since coming home, I've been constantly dizzy. My surgeon has no idea why I'm dizzy, but prescribed me meclazine in hopes of relieving it, my GP said I have a lot of fluid in my right ear which could explain the dizziness, and told me to take sudafed to dry it up.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this constant dizziness post-op?

Dizziness

No, my surgery did not cause me dizziness but medications did.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Not the same but just wasnted to share with you....at 3 months post op I had vertigo, only when laying down and getting back up, didn't matter how fast or slow. It was pretty severe but it only lasted about 10 seconds. (that seems like forever when you are holding on to the bed like you are about to spin off) It got to be where I was so nervous before laying down that I would feel ill. I did some research online and decided to just let it pass....it didn't seem to be surgical related or med related. It did magically disappear 5 weeks later thankfully. I am assuming it was from my inner ear...maybe from the pressure of getting up and laying down so much? Not sure what was wrong but am glad it is over. But if I would of been dizzy all the time I would of checked it out with a doctor for sure. I hope it ends for you.
      Spring
      42 yrs old
      Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
      was told my curves would never progress
      at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
      2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
      new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
      Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
      Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
      Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
      Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
        Not the same but just wasnted to share with you....at 3 months post op I had vertigo, only when laying down and getting back up, didn't matter how fast or slow. It was pretty severe but it only lasted about 10 seconds. (that seems like forever when you are holding on to the bed like you are about to spin off) It got to be where I was so nervous before laying down that I would feel ill. I did some research online and decided to just let it pass....it didn't seem to be surgical related or med related. It did magically disappear 5 weeks later thankfully. I am assuming it was from my inner ear...maybe from the pressure of getting up and laying down so much? Not sure what was wrong but am glad it is over. But if I would of been dizzy all the time I would of checked it out with a doctor for sure. I hope it ends for you.
        Hi Britty

Well done on getting through your surgery. Fab to hear you look like your scoliosis has good. Glad your not getting too much pain. How old are you and where are you based?
        I never suffered with dizziness after surgery but hopefully its just your ear or meds and it is sorted soon.

Jenna
        27 yr old Female.
        Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
        Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
        Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenna.KB View Post
          Hi Britty

Well done on getting through your surgery. Fab to hear you look like your scoliosis has good. Glad your not getting too much pain. How old are you and where are you based?
          I never suffered with dizziness after surgery but hopefully its just your ear or meds and it is sorted soon.

Jenna
          Thanks I just can't wait until I can start doing things again.
          I'm 20 years old, I got the surgery done at Winthrop Hospital in Mineola, NY.
          The dizziness has gotten a tiny bit better since I started taking Sudafed, so hopefully it's the ears and it'll be gone soon

Comment

Originally posted by britty_rn View Post
            Thanks I just can't wait until I can start doing things again.
            I'm 20 years old, I got the surgery done at Winthrop Hospital in Mineola, NY.
            The dizziness has gotten a tiny bit better since I started taking Sudafed, so hopefully it's the ears and it'll be gone soon
            Well take it easy for now :-) your only two weeks post op.

I'm sure you will bounch back at your age, just take things steady, listen to those who know and I'm sure you'll see a huge improvement as the weeks go by.

Jenna
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Hi britty and welcome to the forum.

I had severe dizziness for 6-7 weeks starting at about the 6th week post op. I had my ears checked and various tests, but no reason was found. My surgeon's advice was that it was the antibiotics given in surgery, which I have my doubts about, given the time span between surgery and onset of dizziness. I became depressed, thinking that it may be permanent but it eventually stopped and the depression lifted almost immediately. It was a very unpleasant time of my recovery, made moreso by a lack of cause. Apart from that, my recovery was good and my end result far better than I could have hoped for, so I am sure your dizziness won't have any bearing on your end result.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Just a thought... I had a lot of dizziness after my surgery, especially when I leaned forward a little and while lying in bed. I felt like my whole bed was tipping over at times. And that was a few months afterwards. But I had bloodwork done found out I was anemic. (I had never had problems with dizziness before my surgery.) So after being on iron pills for a while, it went away for good. Hope you get yours figured out and feel better soon.
                Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
                My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
                Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
                52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
                Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Working...
                X