You can heal your life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can heal your life

I have been recommended this book "You can Heal your life" by Louise L. Hay. I actually purchased it a couple of years ago and never read it.. till now.

This is a healing book and refers to all kinds of different illnesses and diseases. It says on it's cover " The thoughts we think and the words we speak create our experiences", She says if we are willing to do the mental work almost anything can be healed. It's a spiritual self improvement kind of a book. I have to agree, as I mentioned in this forum before, I believe Scoliosis is a mind body and soul issue.

A couple of months ago I was recommended by an interesting lady I met to have therapy sessions for my Scoliosis, this spiritual woman thought it would be a very important step before going on the surgeon table, she said my scoliosis stems from a much deeper place and I need to do some healing first, clearing and cleansing within myself. She said the surgery results will be a lot better that way. I needed to dig deep inside to understand why I chose to have a surgery and why do I have Scoliosis? A question I have asked myself for a long time.

There is actually a dictionary towards the end of book that lists different illnesses and diseases, the Cause for them is listed as well. I found there "Spine Curvature/Scoliosis" and read the cause for it, which didn't make any sense to me. Till I had an interesting conversation with my girlfriend's boyfriend about the surgery. Her boyfriend is a business man who have opened businesses around the world, he is still in his 20th, he even wrote 2 spiritual/self improvement kind of books, he is an amazing person for many reasons. He broke his leg recently and was in a wheel chair as we were talking. He was recommended after the accident a surgery, a rod will be placed in his leg. He refused the surgery and chose in natural healing for his leg, though it wasn't easy and very painful at first. He couldn't understand how I could allow rods in my own body.

We started talking about the scoliosis surgery, he wanted to understand the deep reason behind things, why I wanted to have surgery and the root to my problem. He knows how to dig deep, so we started analyzing the issue. I am an aware person for the most part so maybe that helped in the process of unlocking the safe. First we started with the surface problems and reasons for surgery, than we went deeper and deeper into the issue itself. In order for it to work, I could hide nothing and had to open up and tell my deepest deepest secrets. It was like peeling an artichoke, till you get to the heart. When we got to the heart, we ended up with one cause that described my underline problem.

Right away I remembered the book "you can heal your life" and it's written cause to my physical problem, Scoliosis. I was amazed the book and my 'healing session' with my girlfriend's boyfriend ended up with the same conclusion, same exact sentence. This is when I started reading the book for the first time, I thought I would give it a chance and I found it to be an amazing book, it helped me letting go of a lot of things and understanding the flow of life, so I let go of things and find healing within myself. It is a real healing book. I am still in the beginning of it. I am also gonna seek more therapy sessions.

I believe the first healing session I have made(was without planning) was a couple of years ago. I had a massage therapist healer loosening up the muscles around my spine for 3 hours as I was seeking help for my pain. Without an advance planning he was somehow able to push each vertebra into place and give me a straight spine for about a minute, till it went back to its curve. Till that moment, as I believe I had scoliosis my whole life, I never knew how a straight spine feels, I was amazed of how free and flexible it felt, like something so heavy was lifted off my body for the first time, how everything felt 'right' and balanced. I cried in excitement, why wasn't I naturally granted the right to be straight? I have asked myself that question confused and angry, it took me about a year to get over it and seek constructive solutions to my problem.

It's been a healing journey ever since..

Please share with me any kind of healing stories you may have
    Last edited by YB1125; 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM.
    29 years old Female
    45 Degrees Lumbar Scoliosis T12-L4

Originally posted by YB1125 View Post
    When we got to the heart, we ended up with one cause that described my underline issue.
    What was it?

I was amazed the book and my 'healing session' with my girlfriend's boyfriend ended up with the same conclusion, same exact sentence.
    What was the sentence?

I'm glad that stuff helped you.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Interesting. There is a huge mind-body connection and there is "mind work" that each of us needs to do no matter how physically twisted we are. I will see if the library has the book and give it a whirl. Scoliosis, the labeling and the pain does strange things to us. No doubt you will get some people that will respond to you on this blog that their mind didn't cause the scoliosis as if it were a choice made by your evil twin. I don't think that's what you are saying. There is insight in every experience, medical or not, that we should explore. I'll follow the blog and see what others say and see if the library has the book. I too am angry that I have scoliosis. I am 65 and ready for an active and well earned retirement and then find myself in pain from "adult onset degenerative scoliosis". Why me? Wonder if there is any insight that I will gain from the book? Thanks for posting.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

i think relating scoliosis to mind and soul causes is very
        dangerous...like telling people with cancer they could cure it
        if they were more relaxed and spiritual...
        that is just my opinion...everyone is entitled to their own...
        but i think this kind of stuff is very detrimental to anyone with
        any life threatening condition or illness....
        it smacks of a "blame the patient" mentality...
        i am sure my sisters, who do not have scoli, are no more
        spiritually advanced than i am...nor did my mother's cancer have
        anything to do with her spirituality...
        and that is what i think of it...
        oh, and i read her books, and others like it, years ago....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

jess
          Thank you Jess for writing down what I am feeling
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by YB1125 View Post
            (...) and why do I have Scoliosis? A question I have asked myself for a long time.
            If you have Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, that is considered to be a genetic condition. A multifactorial, polygenetic condition.

I and give me a straight spine for about a minute,
            How do you know it was straight if you didn't have a radiograph taken?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

i am going to call the scoli surgeons and tell them to shut down
              shop...

jess

Comment

i am sure my sisters, who do not have scoli, are no more spiritually advanced than i am...
                And how about me? I am an imbecile at spirituality and STILL don't have scoliosis. :-)

So it seems spirituality and scoliosis are not really connected at all.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Please do not post stuff like this in the kid's forum. Actually, I recommend that it not be posted at all, as all it's going to do is start a war. Taking every bit of determination I have not to join the club.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Please do not post stuff like this in the kid's forum.
                    Linda, this is an adult part of the forum, no?

And jump in. The water is fine!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I, too, am very skeptical about these kinds of "healers". They give you a massage, all the while talking the "talk" putting you in a very relaxed frame of mind while they skim your pocket book. They are pro's. It's their livelihood to suck people into a false sense of being able to cure themselves by addressing "hidden" emotional problems. I'm not saying that relaxation tecniques aren't good for us. It's very beneficial to learn how to relax and massages feel very good. What I'm talking about is emptying the mind so someone else can fill it full of propaganda that benefits only them. Sorry, scoliosis is usually inherited. NOTHING we do in a spiritual sense causes us to have scoliosis. There are, of course other forms of scoliosis that can be brought on by bad body mechanics over the years, perhaps an accident, and certain medical conditions. Yes, I also believe the mind is a powerful thing. It is pretty much known that uptight people tend to have more heart disease, etc. vs. laid back people. Happy people seem to be healthier in general than pessimistic people. That's where I draw the line. I feel that I am a pretty spiritual person. I know the cause of my scoliosis - pure genetics. It runs in my family. I don't believe in faith healing. If it takes a metal rod in my back to straighten me up, then that's what I'll eventually do.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

jess
                        Having not read the book, but trying to understand what she, and others that talk about in mind-body connection say, is that there is a component of all ??most, ??many conditions that do have a mind-body connection. It is not "blaming the victim or the patient", just saying that for many or most, there may be something there that could help. Reading all of the books in the world will not change my "S" scoliosis curve [nor did it cause it], it is real, but understanding my relationship to my scoliosis and how I respond to it and the pain....now that might be help useful. Just sayin'. I'm sitting at the desk having just taken one of my 3x a day Methadone, and having an ice back in my pants [next to my sciatica which is killing me right now], and looking a the possibility of an injection and then "minimal surgery" [trying to put off the big T3-S1 fusion], I'm open to looking at all modalities that could possibly decrease my pain that don't involve a surgeon. Just open to possibilies. Doesn't work for everyone, I'm just open to possibilities.... Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

It is not about spirituality, it’s about becoming AWARE of yourself, those are two different things.
                          I am not asking anyone to become spiritual, it’s not about that, I am only asking to open your awareness to what is going on within you, which affects what happening around you. People who are spiritual are not necessarily are aware people. Please note the differences and listen to my words with your mind, not ears, be aware of what I am trying to accomplish here so you don’t keep busy with how you are going to attack this next. Are you really listening to my words?

I am not expecting everyone to understand or connect to this thread; I only hope that it could bring peace to the ones who choose to become more aware of their undergoing problem. I am not saying that the book will straight your spine, neither any other therapy session, but I believe if you let healing come into your life, you can find peace with your ‘problem’ and with that peace you can achieve greater things. I can tell you from my personal experience, anger and frustration leads to nowhere. We were born to live this life with scoliosis for a reason, ‘something’ needs healing, to be worked on, there is an underline cause to the problem. Sometimes healing can happen unintentionally, on it’s own without knowing, not everyone’s experiences are the same. This forum is a form of healing too, we are all seeking answers.

I believe we all have a lot of work to do, scoliosis or not, everyone have problems, big or small, we were born for a reason. Healing brings personal growth.

Why not find yourself stepping into a surgery with a mind which is more clear and aware of itself, more in peace with its physical condition, won’t that bring a better outcome? Peace is not necessarily a feeling, it can be a subconscious state too.

The Massage Therapist, who put my vertebrates into place, did it with his hands, not with his mind lol. The fact he was also a healer helped because he was able to connect to the flow of my body so it causes no harm to my spine, no magic there. When you eat with awareness you eat only what your body really needs, same way a massage therapist that his mind is a bit more aware can treat you more gently. My spine was straight for as many vertebrates as 2 human hands can put into place. Main thing was, my hip moved into place, my whole body shifted, like a surgeon can do on the surgery table, same exact twist of the vertebrates, just without opening the back.
                          It was the beginning of the healing (I didn’t know it was at the time) because I became aware of how a healthy body should feel. At first I couldn’t handle it with my ego driven mind, so first came anger. I even unintentionally wrecked my car that year.

In this present moment, is it wrong to search for peace? understanding? We need to make peace with our disease, the same way we make peace with an enemy. If we don’t make peace with it, let the frustration and anger, guilt, shame all go way, it will take over us, control us and mostly unable us from the ability to bring forth good things into our lives, in all areas. I have seen it happening to me.

Therapy can be done with yourself, with a book, a deep conversation with someone understanding or an outside help with someone who is good at getting to the bottom of a problem. My girlfriend’s boyfriend was a perfect unplanned fit, he was just helping me figure things out on my own, he was only leading me, I did the talking. I got to the underline of my problem on my own. He loves to help, his famous sentence is “Let’s get clear”. I won’t say he is a spiritual person, I would say he is an aware individual.

I want to hear from other members who found a way to let go, to find peace and understanding with their Scoliosis, that would be wonderful to hear any enlightening stories of self-healing.
                          Last edited by YB1125; 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM.
                          29 years old Female
                          45 Degrees Lumbar Scoliosis T12-L4

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                            I, too, am very skeptical about these kinds of "healers". They give you a massage, all the while talking the "talk" putting you in a very relaxed frame of mind while they skim your pocket book. They are pro's. It's their livelihood to suck people into a false sense of being able to cure themselves by addressing "hidden" emotional problems. I'm not saying that relaxation tecniques aren't good for us. It's very beneficial to learn how to relax and massages feel very good. What I'm talking about is emptying the mind so someone else can fill it full of propaganda that benefits only them. Sorry, scoliosis is usually inherited. NOTHING we do in a spiritual sense causes us to have scoliosis. There are, of course other forms of scoliosis that can be brought on by bad body mechanics over the years, perhaps an accident, and certain medical conditions. Yes, I also believe the mind is a powerful thing. It is pretty much known that uptight people tend to have more heart disease, etc. vs. laid back people. Happy people seem to be healthier in general than pessimistic people. That's where I draw the line. I feel that I am a pretty spiritual person. I know the cause of my scoliosis - pure genetics. It runs in my family. I don't believe in faith healing. If it takes a metal rod in my back to straighten me up, then that's what I'll eventually do.
                            You make some excellent points and we all need to make sure that we are not investing money in sham cures. Your scoliosis is very real, yours from genetics and mine from aging degeneration. Neither of us "caused" it by anything that we did, as you mention above w/ rare exceptions. I bet your spiritual life has helped you to better deal w/ the pain and other aspects of scoliosis. Maybe what mind-body speaks to which all [most, never say all] of us could profit from is in how we approach the pain and deformity. How it affects our attitude and outlook on life. That's perhaps where mind-body may be helpful. I hope that everyone doesn't collectively dismiss the whole possibility that there is a mind-body connection here and that for many of us, exploring the spiritual, emotional, mind-body literature may help us deal w/ the hand that we are dealt. What do you think? Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                              I hope that everyone doesn't collectively dismiss the whole possibility that there is a mind-body connection here and that for many of us, exploring the spiritual, emotional, mind-body literature may help us deal w/ the hand that we are dealt. What do you think? Susan
                              I think you are correct. Scoliosis happens due to genetic, physical, chemical, biological, hormonal, medical, etc. reasons and then people have to figure out how to react to that fact.

Where people jump the tracks is when they suggest the possibility that their scoliosis was caused by some mind-body problem or that the power of the mind can change the course of the curvature. There is not a whit of evidence for that because it crosses into magic. We do NOT yet have control over the genetics of scoliosis and all we can do is accept that.

Also, making this personal and not medical as in claiming someone has scoliosis for a non-medical reason (fate?) is not helpful. Science is the only game in town. Things happen for real physical reasons whether known or unknown and whether folks accept it or not. Reality... more than just a good idea.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X