Scoliosis surgery info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis surgery info needed

Hello im probably going to get surgery for scoliosis soon(53*) and I was wondering of he risks of the surgery and what are some advantages and disadvantages also if it's cold do u feel any pain

I have another question in a brace I like tend to lean forward/sideways is that going to happen to me after surgery?

Any additional info would be appreciated too

I'm VERY thin(it runs in the family) and I have a bmi of 14 so I'm underweight naturally
    Last edited by Kat3573; 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM.

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
    Hello im probably going to get surgery for scoliosis soon(53*) and I was wondering of he risks of the surgery and what are some advantages and disadvantages also if it's cold do u feel any pain
    The surgeon will tell you the risks. For a healthy kid, they are very minimal.

I have another question in a brace I like tend to lean forward/sideways is that going to happen to me after surgery?
    Not if your curve is balanced. The longer your mother delays necessary surgery, the more your curve might progress, the less chance you have of having a perfectly balanced spine after surgery. Note to your mother.

Any additional info would be appreciated too
    The orthotist who braced you should be ashamed of himself. Unfortunately there is no hell for him to go to.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Kat

I had my scoliosis surgery at 13yrs old so I know your facing a hard decision but I would say the only disadvantages were a scar (but its so neat and thin that the advantages outweigh this), the initial pain and discomfort after surgery but its important to tell those around you what your pain is on a scale of 0-10 and let them give you meds to help with this. You also have to take your time doing things and let everything heal. This can be a little boring but you can read, watch tv and I should say study during this time :-)

Advantages, I personally had a lot less pain once I'd had surgery so that was a huge bonus. I got straighter and taller, all of which I was hoping for. Although I had a S shape curve and my surgeon thought correcting the bottom curve would correct the top curve, it didn't, it only helped the bottom and now the top is much worse. Its been moving since I was 25yrs so I need further surgery. Even after this I don't regret my earlier surgery.

I'm sure there are many people on the under 18 yrs section of this website that are going through similar emotions and decision making as you so post on there and see what they have to say :-)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that if you have surgery you get everything you wish for
      Jenna
      27 yr old Female.
      Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
      Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
      Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Working...
      X