Bracing and skin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing and skin?

Hi im wearing a boston brace for 23hr a day but I have a 53* thoratic curve u have lots of bruises from the brace(gee I wonder why....) and the skin on one of the brusies broke like there's pink flesh showing yes it hurts it's like raw skin going agains plastic (yes I do wear an undershirts) I don't think this is normal I'm 47* in a brace I want your opinion about this

Thx in advance,
    Kat

Hi Kat,

I know this is the under-18 section, so I hope it is ok for me to post.

Your brace is doing absolutely nothing at all for your curve, so you are getting skin breakdown and bruising for no reason at all, in other words, you are being tortured with no hope for improvement. I am so sorry that you are being forced to endure this, as it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Your curve is way too big for a brace, and the brace itself is not offering any correction. What does your doctor say about this situation? Would it be possible to talk some sense into your parents for making you endure pain and discomfort for absolutely no reason at all? It is cruel.

You must be a very strong person to put up with this without complaining. Please try to talk about this with your doctor and your parents. You should not have to wear the brace. It is not helping you.

The raw spots will toughen up over time, but in the meanwhile, change undershirts at least twice per day, shower every day and wipe the inside of the brace down daily with rubbing alcohol to clean it. Let the raw spots have some time out of the brace to heal, otherwise they will continue to get worse and could become infected. Do not put lotion on them--maybe some corn starch before putting on the brace.

Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

The only reason it isn't malpractice is because the parent went quack hunting and found a "winner." I am sure the surgeon would be vehemently against this nonsense. This takes the statement, "Bracing is for parents" to operatic levels.

Kat, stay strong. Parents are not perfect. They make mistakes. This one is a huge mistake on your mother's part.

Ignorance on the wing. I blame the general atmosphere of the war on science for nonsense like this. We as a nation can't afford to be clueless, especially at the expense of innocent children.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        The only reason it isn't malpractice is because the parent went quack hunting and found a "winner." I am sure the surgeon would be vehemently against this nonsense. This takes the statement, "Bracing is for parents" to operatic levels.

Kat, stay strong. Parents are not perfect. They make mistakes. This one is a huge mistake on your mother's part.

Ignorance on the wing. I blame the general atmosphere of the war on science for nonsense like this. We as a nation can't afford to be clueless, especially at the expense of innocent children.

That's what my parents always tell me *my name* stay strong
        They tell me it never hurts to try T_T
        They tell me if the brace doesn't work it's ok bcuz at least I tried n I'll never feel guilty

Hey bracing is for the parents not the kids lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
          Hey bracing is for the parents not the kids lol
          Some surgeons say that about ALL bracing, not just malpractice-level bracing like you are being tortured with. That's what makes your case so over the line, beyond the pale, atheism-inducing, etc. etc.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X