No announcement yet.

Any reference for spinal surgery at Miami Children Hospital with John Asghar MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious, what else do you know about him? I swear, everytime I go to his office I'm always laughing even the day I met him and he announced that I needed surgery.

Here are some conversation me and him had. I record then all because I don't want to forget:

Asghar-I can drag u across the floor with your rods and you will be fine
    Me- ow. Don't do that

Asghar-she can ride a bike
    Mom- what if she falls
    Asghar- don't fall

Asghar- why are you on a wheelchair ur not handicap?
    Me- cause they(hospital) won't let me walk

He's hilarious!!

Comment

Yup, sounds like him. He wasn't my son's surgeon but I met him in clinic a few times and actually got to know him a little after that because I co-moderate a website that deals with VBS (stapling) and Dr. Asghar trained to do that surgery under Dr. Betz in Philly.

I also got to learn about him and what sort of a person he is because I know many of the families of kids he has treated. One story in particular stands out in my mind. One mom from NJ told me that several days after her daughter was discharged from the hospital, she didn't like how one of the incisions looked and was concerned it might have been infected (turns out it wasn't). But she called the hospital on a Sunday, they got in touch with Dr. Asghar and he told her to meet him at Shriners in an hour. She said "but it's Sunday, clinic is closed". He said "Don't worry, I'll open it so I can examine your daughter".

Who does that?
      Last edited by mariaf; 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
        Yup, sounds like him. He wasn't my son's surgeon but I met him in clinic a few times and actually got to know him a little after that because I co-moderate a website that deals with VBS (stapling) and Dr. Asghar trained to do that surgery under Dr. Betz in Philly.

I also got to learn about him and what sort of a person he is because I know many of the families of kids he has treated. One story in particular stands out in my mind. One mom from NJ told me that several days after her daughter was discharged from the hospital, she didn't like how one of the incisions looked and was concerned it might have been infected (turns out it wasn't). But she called the hospital on a Sunday, they got in touch with Dr. Asghar and he told her to meet him at Shriners in an hour. She said "but it's Sunday, clinic is closed". He said "Don't worry, I'll open it so I can examine your daughter".

Who does that?
        Only him! I live an hour away from the hospital and he came to an outpatient center that was close to my house and I was his only pateint. He drove an hour and then back just to see me and put up with my mom yelling at him. After my surgery she apologized and he said "don't worry I'm used to it"
        And I was like awww I'm sorry haha

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
          Thanks, Kat. I thought you meant he sometimes operates out of Shriners in Tampa for some reason. I wasn't aware that he still operates in Philly at times.
          May be he does. I remember him mentioning tampas Shriners. He possibly could.

Comment

He came to Miami children's because dr shufflebargar was looking for someone to replace him and he was most impressed with dr asghar.

Also, I plan on shadowing him. I will see him again in august, so that's when I plan on asking him. Based on your work experience with him and his personality, should I ask him? Or wait until I see him again next year? I plan on being a surgeon but not necessarily with spine but it's an option. What do you think? I would like to see him do a surgery
            Last edited by Kat3573; 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
              Also, I plan on shadowing him. I will see him again in august, so that's when I plan on asking him. Based on your work experience with him and his personality, should I ask him? Or wait until I see him again next year? I'm 14 soon to be fifteen. I plan on being a surgeon but not necessarily with spine but it's an option. What do you think? I would like to see him do a surgery
              Well since I'm sure this is something that would need to happen when you are, say, in medical school (depending on hospital rules), there's probably no need to get too deeply into it now. Having said that, and based on what I know about him, I think he would be happy to discuss just about anything with his patients any time.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Kat,

I think there are privacy issues with patients that might prevent you from shadowing a surgeon. I also think there are few if any patients who would want any extra person in the room who isn't a surgeon.

When I went to office visits, there is was no spare time beyond discussing my daughters' cases. I would not have tolerated someone else in the room. Also, there is no chance I would have okayed any extra person in the operating room if asked.

There was a "shadow" in the room during one visit. It was our surgeon's daughter but she was in medical school and doing rotations associated with that. I did not mind that at all and it was cool meeting the surgeon's daughter.

As Maria said, there will be plenty of time for you to shadow surgeons and watch operations if you go to med school. Keep your grades very high and you will have that chance.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ya that's what I was thinking pooka. I just want to help improve my chances into getting into a good medical school. May be when I'm 18. Everything is just so exciting now! I wanna rush into things but at the same time I don't :s.
                  Last edited by Kat3573; 03-22-2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

My daughter surgery

Hi everyone my daughter surgery was finally set for May 24 with Dr Asghar at MCH.

God bless you all

Comment

Hi Carlos,

Best of luck to your daughter. I think you can tell from everyone's posts that she could not be in better hands than with Dr. Asghar. He will take excellent care of her. I will be thinking of you and your daughter and hoping to hear from you in a few months that she is well on the road to recovery.
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Carlos,

You have a great surgeon. I think your daughter will have a great outcome.

Best regards,

Sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Ya that's what I was thinking pooka. I just want to help improve my chances into getting into a good medical school. May be when I'm 18. Everything is just so exciting now! I wanna rush into things but at the same time I don't :s.
                          That's not going to get you into a good medical school. Only very good grades in a pre-med program at a good university/college and scoring highly on the MCAT will get you in.

The way you get into a good university/college is take as many AP and honors classes as you can, have a very good GPA, do very well on the verbal and math SAT, have a high class rank, and do some outside stuff that probably doesn't matter if you have the grades and test scores.

It's really all performance-based. Shadowing a surgeon won't move the needle.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            That's not going to get you into a good medical school. Only very good grades in a pre-med program at a good university/college and scoring highly on the MCAT will get you in.

The way you get into a good university/college is take as many AP and honors classes as you can, have a very good GPA, do very well on the verbal and math SAT, have a high class rank, and do some outside stuff that probably doesn't matter if you have the grades and test scores.

It's really all performance-based. Shadowing a surgeon won't move the needle.
                            Oh okay. I just wanted to do something else because it will look good on my résumé. But you can trust me that I'm doing great in school . I'm already top 5% of my school, have a 4.0 GPA unweighted, all of my classes are honors and I'll be taking APs in tenth grade. I'm scared of the SATs though :s

Thanks for your advice! I'll keep that in mind. I'll start studying for the SATs and MCAT. It's never too early to start studying.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Alberto View Post
                              Hi everyone my daughter surgery was finally set for May 24 with Dr Asghar at MCH.

God bless you all
                              Good luck! I'll try to remember to come back on on the 23 of may and wish you best of luck again! If you have any questions about the experience or hospital I'm here!
                              Remember to video tape her when she on the happy juice because she will say some crazy stuff! At least I did!
                              Last edited by Kat3573; 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Oh okay. I just wanted to do something else because it will look good on my résumé. But you can trust me that I'm doing great in school . I'm already top 5% of my school, have a 4.0 GPA unweighted, all of my classes are honors and I'll be taking APs in tenth grade. I'm scared of the SATs though :s

Thanks for your advice! I'll keep that in mind. I'll start studying for the SATs and MCAT. It's never too early to start studying.
                                Well you certainly seem to be on track for pre-med and med school. Keep up the good work. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X