60 degree thoracic scoliosis and pain free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    This description reminds me of what happens when the vet does chiro on my horse except it is instant relief in his case. What must be happening with my horse, and what I am guessing is happening to you is that there was a nerve that gets impinged when your muscles tire. Somehow the pulling frees the nerve from impingement. On my horse, where there was a clear and patent pain response, there was none immediately after the vet did the movement. I call it voodoo chiro but it must be freeing a nerve or otherwise blocking a pain response.

I looked at your photos and the second one does look like a high and tight T curve. We have someone here with a similar curve. Maybe she has something to add. She has chronic pain. Maybe she should try this.

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks for posting.
    I assume you are talking about me. I tried something similar with no results what-so-ever. Maybe the difference in practitioner? Who knows. My fascia doesn't seem to be super tight, but my muscles are. :-(
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      I assume you are talking about me. I tried something similar with no results what-so-ever. Maybe the difference in practitioner? Who knows. My fascia doesn't seem to be super tight, but my muscles are. :-(
      Yes I was talking about you.

The different response could be that Figgy likely has straight AIS whereas you have muscle dystonia-related scoliosis. You have an unusual curve anyway whereas Figgy's is the most common curve type for AIS.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes I was talking about you.

The different response could be that Figgy likely has straight AIS whereas you have muscle dystonia-related scoliosis. You have an unusual curve anyway whereas Figgy's is the most common curve type for AIS.
        Yes, when I looked at Figgy's pictures, her back doesn't look like mine. My left shoulder blade juts out (lots of rotation there) and I am very hollow between the shoulder blades and my lower right ribs stick out enough that my arm hits my side. My belly button is also off kilter by over 1/2". Maybe one day I will get "brave" enough to post a picture of my back. I think you are right that this type of therapy can relieve pain not associated with "nerve pain" as I often describe it. I was corrected by a PT who said nerve pain is only tingling and zapping. So I told him to imagine knocking one of his teeth off and exposing the raw nerve. He said he just cringed at the thouth of it. I said THAT is nerve pain! LOL ...not really funny, but I think he got the point.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Fer,

Figgy said she was 23.

And she is claiming the light massage took away her pain. She is not claiming it reduced her curve. That would be an extraordinary claim that would require extraordinary proof. Also, she has no radiograph from after the light massage as far as I know so she can't claim it reduced the curve.

It is probably physically impossible for one light massage to reduce a structural curve.
          For sure, I am 100% sure my curve has not decreased, like you say that is pretty much impossible! BUT, I have fully come to terms with my asymmetry and I have cultivated a healthy body confidence and i have no pain. SO, as long as i can maintain the curve I have got to a place where it no longer has a negative impact on my life. My only aim from now on is to never have to set foot in an operating theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            I have to say, i do think I lucked out with my practitioner. he was an anatomy teacher, and physiotherapist as well as a remedial masseur and Bowen therapist. Bowen therapy done properly involves an expert knowledge of human biology, it is an extremely precise application of myofascial release. I read your thread re deep tissue massage and I have been in that boat - I have had deep tissue massages which have left me feeling like Ive been beaten up and then run over by a truck. A good masseuse should be able to "read" your tissues and detect that you are in more pain than will benefit you. I hope you have a good massage experience one day, even just a relaxing swedish massage for the effect on your mind is so worth it

Comment

Figgy, it is so refreshing having someone like you come on the group to bring rationality and therefore repsectibility to the world of adult conservative treatments. We have some rational, even scientific, threads dealing with kids but not so many for adults.

So refreshing to see threads that don't continually jump the rails. Thank you.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by figgy View Post
                I have to say, i do think I lucked out with my practitioner. he was an anatomy teacher, and physiotherapist as well as a remedial masseur and Bowen therapist. Bowen therapy done properly involves an expert knowledge of human biology, it is an extremely precise application of myofascial release. I read your thread re deep tissue massage and I have been in that boat - I have had deep tissue massages which have left me feeling like Ive been beaten up and then run over by a truck. A good masseuse should be able to "read" your tissues and detect that you are in more pain than will benefit you. I hope you have a good massage experience one day, even just a relaxing swedish massage for the effect on your mind is so worth it
                I've had one professional massage, compliments of my grandmother before she passed away. It was wonderful. This PT that was doing the deep tissue massacre didn't even use his hands. He used an instrument with a hard ball on the end of it. That explains it all to me right there. To know where the muscle spasms are you need to FEEL them, not just ask, "Does this hurt?", then cram the ball into the painful area. It was awefull! I might try to find a real massage therapist who actually uses their hands. The problem is all of the out of pocket expenses. We pay over a thousand dollars a month just for my insurance and medication co-pays. So anything "not covered" really hurts a lot. But thank you for the kind thoughts.

Rohrer01
                Last edited by rohrer01; 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM. Reason: something grammatical, of course!
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Fer,

Figgy said she was 23.

And she is claiming the light massage took away her pain. She is not claiming it reduced her curve. That would be an extraordinary claim that would require extraordinary proof. Also, she has no radiograph from after the light massage as far as I know so she can't claim it reduced the curve.

It is probably physically impossible for one light massage to reduce a structural curve.
                  Sharon, in my country the term ‘teenage’, (not exits something like ‘young adults’) is usually extended up to 22-23 y.o and even something more..is more according some studies according to cerebral maturity.. and after this age it seems to be also some structural differences (mainly in ligaments)..
                  Anyway I was referring to the fact that I never knew before other case about an 18 y.o girl with so many degrees not having surgery. According to the photos, supposing the pose is the same (not more straight) it looks for me as a curve with some less degrees and it would not be something impossible. Of course what is really important is that her curve seems to be stable and she is out of pain. I’m sure that massages are necessaries, surely not sufficient but necessaries.. I continue looking for different kinds in my country and I'm not sure which could be the best..

Comment

Working...
                  X