Surgery Next Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzanne,
    We are so happy to hear that you are doing well. I have received emails from your husband during the surgery. What a sweetie! You are successfully on the other side and can soon start your recovery.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Just a quick message to say that all is still going well, though not much has changed since last night. Suzanne is still in the post-op Critical Care Area (CCA) and is being watched closely. This morning early, Dr Bridwell and his surgical fellow, Dr Mesfin, visited Suzanne. We all discussed how well everything went during surgery. Dr Bridwell also talked with us about the need for Suzanne to stay flat, but rotate to her side, return to her back, and to the other side on a 2 hour rotation for each position. That's to address the minor lower back issue with her dura and sacrum that he observed and treated during surgery. He feels very confident that by staying flat through tomorrow morning will allow for full healing of the Dura and she will be on schedule to sit and stand tomorrow. The rotation is a new twist and will help her feel better than being on her back for many hours in a row.

Pain reared its ugly head a bit this morning for Suzanne but we are all being better about staying on a regular schedule of using the pump for pain meds which seems to be really helping the past several hours. Nausea meds have helped her feel much better when taking sips of water, ice chips, and her oral meds. I couldn't begin to list all the meds she's been on today, but its all good.

A physical therapist came in briefly today to do light movement exercises which I think felt good but made her tired quickly. Dr Bridwell's Nurse Practitioner also visted a few hours ago too to make sure all was well and discuss the plan for moving Suzanne to a room on the ortho floor later today.

Suzanne still speaks very quietly, naps most of the time, but stays strong and positive. When the nurse listened for sounds in her belly last night after no food for a few days, Suzanne said "Must be deader than a doornail in there." When the docs and nurses ask how she's doing, she usually says "I've had better days but not too bad".

I'd better go to make sure she hit the button again on the pain med pump. Hopefully in her room, I won't have to leave her to send these messages. Until next time, Suzanne thanks you all for the positive thoughts and kind messages.

Kevin
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

oh my prayers are with her! it's rough to be a nurse AND be a patient HA! Sorry to hear about the complication with her dura, thx for keepin us informed - both Kevin & Doreen or posting his notes! God bless xxx Jamie in TX
        57 years old.
        thoracic curve 68 degrees
        lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
        Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
        Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
        THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Well, Suzanne is finally in her own room on the ortho recovery floor and looks to have a private room, at least for tonight.

She is sleeping pretty soundly right now... start IV nutrition in about an hour which should help her energy level and recovery. Her pain has gone from an 8 or 9 out of 10 this morning to a 2 or 3 most of the day... Everyone on the staff that she has seen today have said that everything seems to be going very well for this stage of the recovery process. We should see Dr Bridwell early tomorrow morning and hope to have a little more news to report then. She may sit and stand for the first time after surgery tomorrow or Friday, depending on Dr Bridwell's observations and gameplan. We'll see.

Suzanne took a call from her Mom and Dad tonight and mostly listened but was very aware of the love and support coming through the phone. She continues to charge ahead with strength and courage in the early recovery phase. Her positive attitude and good rest she's getting can only help from here.

Thanks as always for all of your thoughtful messages and prayers of support.

Kevin

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
            Hi all,

Yes, it's me and I'm home!!!!!! I tried to post a big, long blow-by-blow of everything that happened. But between me working on an iPhone (can't sit up for long yet) and all the post-op medication, I think I never got it posted. Anyway, long story short I am home and doing well. I am in pain, especially sitting, but coping. Doing my little walks, taking my meds, stretching my legs, using the spirometer and napping a lot. I will write a longer message on my usual thread when I am up to it. Nap time now.

Btw, I did get 1.5 inches taller. Now if I could just get rid of that 4-5 months pregnant look. Oh, and washing the hair might help, too.

I want to figure out how to change my username to "straightenedoutmom." what do you think?

Best,
            Evelyn
            Wonderful! all the best on your recovery. It sounds like it is going pretty good. Love to hear more - May 16th is right around the corner!

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              Just a quick message to say that all is still going well, though not much has changed since last night. Suzanne is still in the post-op Critical Care Area (CCA) and is being watched closely. This morning early, Dr Bridwell and his surgical fellow, Dr Mesfin, visited Suzanne. We all discussed how well everything went during surgery. Dr Bridwell also talked with us about the need for Suzanne to stay flat, but rotate to her side, return to her back, and to the other side on a 2 hour rotation for each position. That's to address the minor lower back issue with her dura and sacrum that he observed and treated during surgery. He feels very confident that by staying flat through tomorrow morning will allow for full healing of the Dura and she will be on schedule to sit and stand tomorrow. The rotation is a new twist and will help her feel better than being on her back for many hours in a row.

Pain reared its ugly head a bit this morning for Suzanne but we are all being better about staying on a regular schedule of using the pump for pain meds which seems to be really helping the past several hours. Nausea meds have helped her feel much better when taking sips of water, ice chips, and her oral meds. I couldn't begin to list all the meds she's been on today, but its all good.

A physical therapist came in briefly today to do light movement exercises which I think felt good but made her tired quickly. Dr Bridwell's Nurse Practitioner also visted a few hours ago too to make sure all was well and discuss the plan for moving Suzanne to a room on the ortho floor later today.

Suzanne still speaks very quietly, naps most of the time, but stays strong and positive. When the nurse listened for sounds in her belly last night after no food for a few days, Suzanne said "Must be deader than a doornail in there." When the docs and nurses ask how she's doing, she usually says "I've had better days but not too bad".

I'd better go to make sure she hit the button again on the pain med pump. Hopefully in her room, I won't have to leave her to send these messages. Until next time, Suzanne thanks you all for the positive thoughts and kind messages.

Kevin
              My prayers are with her to get stronger day by day.

Comment

"sleeping pretty soundly" That's got to be good!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yesterday's Update:
                  Suzanne's progress following her back surgery day before yesterday continues very well. Dr. Bridwell felt that all was indicating normal recovery but that he wanted to take things slowly and cautiously. However, he did allow the head of Suzanne's hospital bed to be raised up to 30 degrees while she's on her back to allow her to take pills a bit easier and let the swelling in her face subside a bit more quickly. She is still rotating to each side then back to her back every 2 hours.

Also, added to her fruit salad of medications and fluids were nasal spray to help with some stuffiness, a blood transfusion which was completely expected, lasix for swelling, liquid nutrition through IV, and various others. Even now, I'm sure Suzanne could tell you all of their names and functions but she will have to list them for any interested medical people later. The pain and anti-nausea meds are still the fan favorites and continue to do the job. They still aren't letting her have fluids to drink other than a few ice chips at a time. That may be a day or two away yet after some type of gas passing event.

Suzanne still sleeps a majority of the time, which is very good, but seems much more alert and able to talk to family very briefly on the phone today. I think some of the meds cause pretty lively dreams, though, as she twitches a fair amount while sleeping and woke once today asking "when did we get to Germany?" Nice that she's able to take a quick trans-Atlantic journey every once in a while to escape her current locale.

Today's Update:
                  Today has been a really great day of progress for Suzanne, a day we'll talk about for a long time. The day's events started at about 6:30 am when Dr Bridwell and his team stopped by to let Suzanne know that her time of loafing in bed for 24 hours a day were over. Dr Bridwell came into the room and the 2 docs helped Suzanne to her feet with a walker used for leverage in standing and support. She took a couple of small shuffle steps then with a little help from her doctors sat back down on the bed. I can say that she has grown some since Tuesday but no official measurements yet. Her back looks great, there were no headaches and just a little dizziness (completely normal after 3 days flat in bed), and all signs are that she is on track or a little ahead of schedule.

She took a quick nap before the Physical Therapist came by. The PT had her sit, stand, and shuffle again then had her sit in a chair by the bed for a little while. Seems her pain is a little worse sitting than standing but that, too, seems to be expected. After another short nap, Suzanne learned that her restrictions allowing only ice chips and no water had been lifted. She can now have clear liquids, to include juice, sprite, jello, and broth. Big step up from tiny ice chips. She is still taking it easy though as her plumbing needs to slowly wake up again still.

So we will see PT again one more time today and expect we may see Donelle, Dr Bridwell's Nurse Practitioner, one more time. Full day. But more than anything else, today has been good because Suzanne is really starting to seem like herself again. We've been chatting about what she remembers and doesn't about the past few days and about the outpouring of support she's been getting from all of you. She hasn't started reading through emails, but I'm letting her know about them and reading several. The pain meds still let her sleep for much of the day but today has been small steps and giant leaps at the same time.

Comment

Saturday's Update

Hi Again from St Louis,

It's a sunny Spring day here that Suzanne's been enjoying through the window of her room between naps and planned activities. We're having another day of firsts, including some solid foods, a 1 hour sit in a chair in the room, a hike down the hall, up/down 3 steps. She was pretty wiped out after her walk and stairs but really hung tough and even impressed herself, I think. Other than a bit of nausea during the long sit, things are going well and even the nausea passed pretty quickly.

Her pain pill, which we are still working to find the best dose, has been causing the walls to change colors and continues to cause very realistic dreams. She's not really enjoying the color tricks her brain is playing on her eyes though so I'm considering setting her iPod up with some Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix to help get her in the spirit. Seriously though, the nurses have told us that the pain pills commonly cause some side effects like what Suzanne is experiencing. We started with one pill, went to 2, and are now at one and a half.

We saw a new fellow from Dr Bridwell's practice early this morning who let us know that the current plan is still for Suzanne to be released from the hospital on Monday. We'll see if that stays in place or if it slides to Tuesday based on the early delays, but Suzanne seems to be charging through the program so far so think it will certainly be Monday if she has any control over things, which I think she does.

Comment

Sounds like Suzanne's going along just fine and her doctors are keeping a close eye on her. Hope things continue to move along smoothly!

Had a good laugh at the following comments:

"Nice that she's able to take a quick trans-Atlantic journey every once in a while to escape her current locale."

"She's not really enjoying the color tricks her brain is playing on her eyes though so I'm considering setting her iPod up with some Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix to help get her in the spirit."

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                        Hi Again from St Louis,

It's a sunny Spring day here that Suzanne's been enjoying through the window of her room between naps and planned activities. We're having another day of firsts, including some solid foods, a 1 hour sit in a chair in the room, a hike down the hall, up/down 3 steps. She was pretty wiped out after her walk and stairs but really hung tough and even impressed herself, I think. Other than a bit of nausea during the long sit, things are going well and even the nausea passed pretty quickly.

Her pain pill, which we are still working to find the best dose, has been causing the walls to change colors and continues to cause very realistic dreams. She's not really enjoying the color tricks her brain is playing on her eyes though so I'm considering setting her iPod up with some Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix to help get her in the spirit. Seriously though, the nurses have told us that the pain pills commonly cause some side effects like what Suzanne is experiencing. We started with one pill, went to 2, and are now at one and a half.

We saw a new fellow from Dr Bridwell's practice early this morning who let us know that the current plan is still for Suzanne to be released from the hospital on Monday. We'll see if that stays in place or if it slides to Tuesday based on the early delays, but Suzanne seems to be charging through the program so far so think it will certainly be Monday if she has any control over things, which I think she does.

Thanks Kevin for the beautiful narration. I will be sure to read it to my husband so he knows what he can expect. Suzanne, keep rocking it and prayers continue to come your way. Best.
                        Rockycarm (jean)

Comment

Suzanne--
                          You are coming along very well it seems. I know it might not always seem like it but it's part of the proces. Hang in there and continue to improve step by step. Your husband Kevin is a riot. I love the Pink Floyd/Jimi Hendrix reference. I hope he's writing a Caring Bridge type deal for friends and relatives. They are so helpful. My husband loved doing that. I think it was his therapy while I was healing and gave him an important job. He always managed to make them pretty funny too and friends said after I was a few months down the road they really missed the reports! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Sunday's Update

Another warm day here in St Louis and a busy one for Suzanne. Suzanne will be released from the hospital tomorrow, Monday. She was also taken off the IV pain meds, which is kind of scary, and is just on a moderate level of oral Norco (hyrdocodone?) every 4 hours. Another stronger pain med (Oxycodone?) is prescribed and in reserve if she needs it though she wants to get by without if possible.

She walked all the way down the long hall on the floor to the PT room/torture chamber they have set up. She said she walked several stairs on their stair simulator contraption and walked back down the hall. As soon as she got back to the room, Occupational Therapy came in to show her how to put on socks and shoes, pick up dropped items, and get in a car seat the right way. That all has to be done with keeping back and legs aligned and without bending at the waist. I can foresee many games of fetch in my future where I'll be the fetcher. She says she's starting to feel what she thinks are some of the screws in her lower back but not really sure what part of the operation would be causing the real pain. Sitting still seems to be the hardest thing.

Now Suzanne is napping while I make out my to do list for tomorrow. We're both looking forward to getting out of the hospital room but know that challenges are ahead. I expect Suzanne will be sending an update in a few days as she is tired during the day now but not completely zonked the way she was on the IV pain meds. She'll be able to correct my errors in reporting and give her first person view on things she remembers or might have imagined while on heavy drugs. Things are definitely on an upward flight path still.

Comment

"Sitting still seems to be the hardest thing." That's not unusual. I think most of us have reported that sitting is difficult for a few weeks, that standing/walking/lying down is more comfortable.

Suzanne's doing extremely well. I do hope the meds prescribed will be enough. Will they send her home with the Oxycontin - I mean, not just a script? Because going home before finding out what her non-IV pain levels are, means she'll need to have extra on hand quickly, if needed.

If she manages on the Norco, this would be great because it might avoid that sleepy bowel that the Oxycontin seems to cause.

All the best with your trip home and the "fetching" you'll be up for. Just think of the brownie points you're accumulating.

Comment

Yes, Kevin, you are accumulating lots of "brownie points" as Jennifer said. My husband was the self proclaimed "Husband of the Year", so when I was six months post-op we had a party and I presented him with a plaque.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X