Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over a year, and doing very well!

Hey all,

It has been a while since I've posted, but I am still around checking the forum from time to time. I had a very rough holiday season personally, and it has taken me a while to get back into the swing of things. (We thought we were going to adopt a baby, but it fell through when we were waiting at the hospital).

Overall though, I am doing really well. I had my 1 year post-op visit and my surgeon was very happy with my progress and my x-rays. The popping and cracking I was having a while ago has disappeared, and I can't really think of anything that is bothering me very much right now. Most of the time, I forget about the surgery and my fusion, because I'm busy living my life, happily and healthfully.

We went to Disney World a few weeks ago now, and I walked around for 3 days and wasn't even sore by the time I got home. I was sad I couldn't ride the real rollercoasters yet (dr said NO until 2 years, and then we'll see...)but I had fun riding the kiddie rides and being with my husband and friends. Last time I went to Disney I was in a wheel chair because of the pain I had when I walked (at 25 years old!). Amazing how my life has changed over the last year!

I am always here if anyone ever needs some encouragement or needs to vent. You can email me via this forum or through my blog. I think so many times about how this place has helped me, and I really want to help others too!

Thanks again for the support and encouragement you all gave to me when I was trying to decide to have the surgery, and then when I was going through the recovery.

Blessings!
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Rebecca,

It's so nice to hear that you have your life back! I remember following your story and am glad you are feeling so well. I'm really sorry about the baby. I can't imagine getting that close and having it fall through. I can only imagine that the birth mom couldn't say goodbye. Adoption can be very painful for all involved and can also be such a blessing at the same time. It's not for me to say whether or not to try again or make any suggestions as this is such a personal thing. But perhaps there will be a child in your life somehow, someday. We can't always know what funny twists and turns life is going to take. I'm just glad you are okay. Thanks for thinking of those of us still here and coming back to encourage us!

All the BEST!
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Congrats on doing so well that you're able to forget about your fusion. I think that's the ultimate!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by peachrush7 View Post
        Most of the time, I forget about the surgery and my fusion, because I'm busy living my life, happily and healthfully.

Blessings!
        Very nice! An important goal.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Rebecca,
          I was just 9 days behind you with my surgery and much older, but always enjoyed reading your posts and your blog. I am almost euphoric about being a year post-op and will soon be heading to FL for a golfing vacation with my husband. I just read your post in the "happy I had the surgery" thread. I am glad you are doing so well and can be an inspiration to others who are waiting on surgery or going through early recovery.
          I am truly sorry that the adoption fell through for you and your husband. It had to be heartbreaking.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I am glad to hear that your life is doing so well.I am sorry to hear about the adoption.
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi Rebecca

It is so nice to hear that you are doing so well now that you are over a year post-op. I would recommend that your blog be considered "must read" for those considering surgery or for those in the recovery phase. You have such a gift for sharing your insight and experiences throughout your scoliosis surgery journey. Thank you for sharing this special gift with all of us. May God bless you and your husband throughout your adoption process.

Donna
              Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
              Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
              Fused T3-L3
              60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
              Tennis player & returning to the courts!
              http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

-Wow Donna! Your kinds words brought tears to my eyes...it really means a lot to me that my blog, and my sharing my ups and downs has been helpful to you. Thanks for letting me know that, it really encourages me to keep it going!

-Karen, I am so happy for you too! I remember how we were able to compare notes as we went along, and it was really nice having you to bounce things off of. Hope you have fun in Florida! My husband and I went on our first golfing outing in December down in West Palm since my surgery (I don't golf, I just ride in the golf cart and read) but it was sooo nice to be able to do that. I'm looking forward to doing that more often with him, now that I know I'm up for it.

And everyone who has said such kind things, thank you. My husband and I are still trying/hoping to adopt. We just needed some time to recover from that difficult experience. We believe there is a child our there for us, and we just have to be patient for a while longer.

Your support and encouragement mean SO much! Thanks again!
                Rebecca
                Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                wore night bending brace as teenager
                Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                fusion L2-3 November 2008
                Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                Before and After X-rays
                My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rebecca--
                  It's so good to hear from you and & about your very positive progress! I too hope that a child will sometime figure into your future as you wish. Thanks for coming back and sharing. Best wishes. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Rebecca,

As an adoptive mom myself, I can tell you that it will happen for you and that your child will be the child you are meant to be with!

Glad your back is feeling good!

Hugs!
                    Kathy
                    Kathy
                    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Glad to hear that all is well with your back, and I'm sorry about the disappointment with the baby. I'm also an adoptive mom to a wonderful daughter, and I know how difficult and intense the adoptive experience can be. I have every faith that you will be matched with the child who's just right for you.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                      X