Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck problems

Guys

I’m having neck problems. Stiff neck actually, one of the most stubborn with spasms running down my fusion mass. The spasms are not as bad since being fused holds the vert in position. I’m having trouble holding my head up, and its affecting my reading vision along with eye twitching since last Feb. My eye surgeon says dry eye, and they are dry, but I think its more than that. My neck has no scoliosis in it, it actually looks great to the layman.....I don’t know if I have bone spurs in my neck, but I will give it a few more days, before I see my surgeon.....

I sure hope this settles down soon. I am prepared and not afraid just in case I have to do something surgically with my neck.

Sorry about my lack of activity lately, I’ve been wiped out.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Ed, I'm sorry to hear this. I truly hope it's nothing that needs surgery, but I hope you can see your surgeon asap. You need to know what you're dealing with - hopefully nothing scoli-related. Take care.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have very similar issues. For a long time I have had neck pain and headaches. More recently it has turned into a stiff neck and vision issues. At its worst I feel achey and weak along my whole spine and that my head feels way too heavy to hold up. I've been to a neurologist and been diagnosed with atypical migraines, and a combination of diet and occasional migraine meds seems to be helping. I've also been told by one ortho that its possible that the stress of having to hold my crooked body upright is a contributing factor to the migraines.

I haven't had surgery, so its possible that what you are experiencing is unrelated to that. Regardless I hope you find answers and feel better. Please let us know how it goes.
      1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
      2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

so sorry to hear this Ed...
        i hope it is something very temporary...
        it sounds uncomfortable & painful....
        feel better soon...

jess

Comment

Ed...

We're working on a study to determine just how common (out hypothesis is that they're very common) neck problems are in deformity patients as compared to non-deformity patients.

I wonder if problems might be weather related. I do cervical range of motion exercises every morning, so am very aware when I start having issues, as I can't move my head nearly as well. I've had problems for the last 2-3 months. Every day, I hope that today is the day that my range will return to normal.

Anyway, sorry that you're having issues. Hope it's all temporary.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda...what is the relationship, IF any, between neck problems and spinal patients who have HAD fusion and neck problems in spinal patients who have NOT had fusion....
            do both have neck problems....is there a change after fusion surgery...?
            did any have so called whiplash accidents before their surgery, or an
            illness with classic neck pain that remains after treatment, like Lyme...
            how do you "tease out" these issues?

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              Linda...what is the relationship, IF any, between neck problems and spinal patients who have HAD fusion and neck problems in spinal patients who have NOT had fusion....
              do both have neck problems....is there a change after fusion surgery...?
              did any have so called whiplash accidents before their surgery, or an
              illness with classic neck pain that remains after treatment, like Lyme...
              how do you "tease out" these issues?

jess
              As I said, we're working on it. No data yet. I'm guessing that most spine docs would tell you that the neck issues are pre-existing, and have nothing to do with fusion. I'm also guessing that we won't be able to tell whether fusion changes anything, as we won't know if people who get identified as having cervical issues after fusion, had the problem before surgery, but didn't pursue treatment. Once we've looked at all the data, we may consider a prospective study to answer some of the questions, but I'm not sure there would be enough value in something like that. All we can look at for now, are the numbers of patients who have either reported neck pain to us, or who have had cervical radiographs (in addition to either full spine or lumbar films), in the two patient populations (deformity vs. non-deformity). What we're talking about is arthritic changes, not trauma.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ed, I am sorry to hear of your neck issues. I just got back from Dr Bederman and he has given me the green light to go ahead with more PT and OT. Right now, my neck feels like what you are talking about .It doesn't feel like it can hold my head up.
                Hope you get some relief
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Ed--
                  You've done so well for so long, I'm really sorry to hear this. I've had neck problems and headaches since I was 12--probably the start of the scoliosis. There is a slight curve in my neck from the back x-rays but is a straight slant from side views without the curve it should have. I asked Dr. Lenke if surgery would help the neck problems and he said there were no guarnatees on that. That is true. My neck is usually sore and tired--some days holding up my head is hard--it seems really heavy. Also creates a burn into my shoulder/top of back. I do see chiro who uses "Impulser" which helps. I know when it's at it's worst if I remember to do some neck exercises on the bed it does help. Simply raising head an inch and turning head from side to side & back down. I really don't remember where I got them. Sure hope this gets better for you. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thx Guys

I have had 2 adjustments at my Chiropractor with some improvement. I don’t think I’m done with the problem, at least the nerve jabs have subsided. I’m not taking any meds.

I have had the occasional neck problems before being fused......but nothing as stubborn as this time. A study would be of some interest.

I’m wondering about the future, if my surgeon can clear out any bone spurs or trim what needs trimming without fusing. If this doesn’t straighten out completely by next week, I will have to pay my surgeon a visit and see what he says. He has a Twin fellowship and specialty training in cervical.

I had quite a bit of trimming done in my lumbar, and it really did the trick.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ti Ed,

Sorry to hear this.

Cervical seems to be an active area of research as far as I can tell so maybe there is an answer out there. I'll keep an eye out for anything.

Sharon
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ed,
                        I am so sorry you are having neck problems. Last May, I had a neck spasm that I thought was the end of the road for me, meaning I was thinking surgery. However, after an MRI which looked nasty, and doing some range of motion exercises along with a short course of cortisone, things are much improved. I still get a little tingling up the back of my head on the left side from time to time, but really not much to complain about. I hope it will be the same for you. Just for the record, I have had neck problems that started back in 1999. Physical therapy should help along with ice or moist heat and or an anti-inflamatory. With insurance dictating what Surgeons can or can't do, surgery is the last resort.

Take care, Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Ed,
                          I'm so sorry to hear of your neck problems. I hope it's temporary and that you get relief soon without having to do anything major.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Ed, sorry to hear about your neck, hope it's winds up not a major issue. The biggest and probably the only issue is also my neck, I also always wondered if it is scoliosis related - my surgeon does not seem too concerned though. I've always had problems in my neck, but after my surgery, my neck never feels right. One thing that happens often is that my neck will make a very loud cracking noise, sounds like a pop gun, so loud people will here it across the room. My theory is that the neck has to compensate more now that I don't have mobility in my back. Anyway, I don't post much anymore, but I do check in to see different issues that everyone might have so I can compare, this forum is still so informative to me even after having my surgery 2 1/2 years ago!
                            Dolores A
                            June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                            June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                            Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                            NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Ed-- I also want to let you know I'm sorry to hear about this. I have some neck problems sometimes, but my doctor says I have arthritis there-- plus that is where my fusion starts (T2). So I think it's just an area that is prone to weakness/aching if I overdo or am physically tired there. I can feel it grating sometimes when I turn my neck. But it's not a big problem because I don't do things that stress it very much. I sure hope you get some relief soon and that you're back to your active self soon.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                              X