Jillians MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jillians MRI

Today we went for jillians MRI and they were unable to complete the study. Fifteen minutes in they were unable to sedate her. They said she was resistant to sedation and after giving her the maximum dose she began to snore and cough. They had to stop. So now she will need general anesthesia and intubation fir the MRI. This is so challenging!

I'm sorry to hear this. It can be a challenge with children, no matter the procedure, simply because they are too young to understand. Although, my three year old grandson did wonderfully for some x-rays he had yesterday, but they didn't require him to be absolutely still for the length of time it takes for an MRI. Kids like to wiggle, it's in their nature. Sorry she has to be under general anesthesia. I'm sure they will take good care of her. Best Wishes.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Would you consider trying the MRI without anesthesia, or use with some oral anti-anxiety medication? I know of at least one child here who had a successful unmedicated MRI at around age 8. My daughter had her MRI at age 6 with 0.5 mg of Ativan given orally (under the tongue) 30 minutes before, and she did perfectly. The MRI techs told me later that when they saw us walk in they never thought she could hold still, being so young, but she did. I did quite a bit of preparation with her prior to it, anticipatory guidance about what to expect, and emphasized how she had to hold completely still. I bribed her with a trip to the donut store if she was successful--and happily, she was.

There is a thread here about MRI's in young kids, I will find it and link it here for you.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

MRI in younger kids link

Here is the link from a previous discussion here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...light=MRI+kids

We have also discussed this very extensively on the VBS forum (I think I have seen you there). Come by and check it out. I just bumped it up to the top of the discussion list. The thread is entitled "MRI experiences" and has 47 replies on it, a very wide range of experiences.

Best of luck! I know you were not expecting the actual obtaining of the MRI to be so difficult.
        Last edited by leahdragonfly; 12-30-2011, 08:38 AM.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
        X