preop nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preop nightmare

I went to see my primary doctor for medical clearance last friday...my EKG was normal according to the computer but he says there is a 'blip' on it and could indicate that I may have had a heart attack at some point....what?? Could be normal for me but we have to investigate. I had to do a treadmill stress test today which I thought went well...from what I saw written in my chart it said that I have marked sinus Braydacardia, my resting heartrate was 40. The tech who did the test asked me if that is 'normal' for me...normal? I don't know, I have lost 125lbs in the last year and a half, my resting heart rate was 110 when I was heavy so this MAY be normal for me...now. On top of that I quit smoking 6 months ago. Maybe my heart is finally resting after working so hard for so many years. I have been majorly stressed out from this...I don't get the results until Jan 3rd and we leave for St. Louis on thurs the 5th, my central line goes in friday morning the 6th and surgery is Monday the 9th....I can't believe this is happening. Has anyone else experienced anything like this during preop testing? I could really use some hope...
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
    was told my curves would never progress
    at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
    2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
    new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
    Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
    Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
    Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Spring,
    Are you physically active as like an athlete? That would be one possible explanation for your low heart rate of 40. Can you call your primary care physician and ask him or her before next week to help put your mind at ease? I don't recall if anyone here on this forum has had that particular problem before their surgery, so you might not get any responses to your question. Good luck to you for your surgery. The waiting is so hard.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Spring - she's right, the fitter one is the lower the resting heart rate. 56-59 has always been mine. Can no one get you in earlier due to surgery dates? Jacob's primary did EKG, came up w branch bundle issue, he called several cardiologists & pressed for appt w/in days. Thank God it was nothing and he was cleared. I truly hope it turns out to be nothing of consequence for you and that everything goes without a hitch. But your health is the most important thing. Congratulations on your success over smoking & on your weight loss! Those are such phenomenally great achievements!
      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

I don't know about the heart issue but I wanted to also congratulate you on your health accomplishments! I think that focus will help you through the post op recovery.

And your curves which you were told would not progress...

There are several people on this forum and elsewhere who are far below the surgical threshold at maturity and were told the same thing as you who nevertheless are surgical as young adults. Maybe this group is unusual and maybe it isn't. I think pediatric surgeons need to assess this situation better in order to advise parents and patients more accurately. I wish there were high quality numbers on this.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

thank you all for your replies....got the call this afternoon that my stress test was fine...and from a medical standpoint I am healthy enough for the surgery!! Scared me half to death....I must be an athlete Thank you for the congrats, getting healthy has been the hardest thing I have done thus far...now comes the hardest yet I do believe but it should be worth it! Thanks again
          Spring
          42 yrs old
          Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

What a relief, Spring. Best wishes & prayers to you for your surgery - no doubt all your hard work so far will have a huge difference in your recovery. Let us know how you're doing.
            LeighAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
              thank you all for your replies....got the call this afternoon that my stress test was fine...and from a medical standpoint I am healthy enough for the surgery!! Scared me half to death....I must be an athlete Thank you for the congrats, getting healthy has been the hardest thing I have done thus far...now comes the hardest yet I do believe but it should be worth it! Thanks again
              Congratulations on both your weight loss and also for being so fit. Good luck with your surgery!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

That is an awesome feat to lose that weight and stop smoking. You are obviously a dedicated and focused lady. If that is an example of your strength of will and dedication, you should do wonderful with your recovery. Kudos to you and the best of luck next week. My one year anniversary is January 10th. This time next year, you will be in a very good place!
                Jenee'-52
                Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                9 hours
                T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                Non-fusion
                Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

So glad to hear your stress test went well. Those bumps in the road can be a real trial. Soon all of this will be a distant memory and you will be on the healing side. You should do just fine. I will be thinking of you.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I wish these posts had a 'like' option similar to facebook thank you again for the congrats, my heart may be fit but my body never feels it...maybe it's because I'm always hurting and scrunched up, I always feel weak. I just wanted to share that when I got the call that I was ok and medically cleared I was filled with mixed emotions....omg this is really going to happen!! Does anyone else get where I'm coming from with that? I also have had a nasty cold since Christmas day but it is getting better now thankfully. I can cry at the drop of a hat now...I know that all of you understand, I just wish the people close to me only had a clue. I do appreciate all your kind words and for keeping me in your prayers....I will see you on the otherside soon.

Take care,
                    Spring
                    Spring
                    42 yrs old
                    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Oh Spring, I'm totally with you on the nasty cold since Christmas and crying at the drop of a hat. There must be something in the water for us anticipating surgery Jan. 9/10!!! Trying to decide now if I should see a doctor, suspecting maybe my cold has turned into a sinus infection. Of course, it's Saturday and we'd have to go to ER to be seen. Oh my, still fearing that they will postpone my surgery because of this dang cold. No chest congestion --- just head stuff!!! Hang in there --- I'll pray for you!!!!
                      Sheree
                      Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
                      Had two children
                      Back started hurting more around age 52
                      Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
                      Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
                      Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
                      Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
                      My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

@timetofaceit

ditto on the possible sinus infection...I did some research and it seems the consensus is not to take antbiotics before major surgery. Something about lowering the immune system?? Anyway, I am coughing alot of stuff up finally...I cough alot, though it doesn't feel like it is in my chest, just sinus drainage...I have been watching for a fever and so far so good. We didn't come all this way to have it cancelled! I will be in intensive care when you go in, you will be in my thoughts.

Take care,
                        Spring
                        42 yrs old
                        Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Worrisom EKG???

I had that same experience before some of my surgeries though I have a normal stress test. If there is a significant thoracic curve the heart is rotated. When the technician places the EKG electrodes on the chest he/she places them on the chest as if the thorax is normal. However, the computer in the EKG machine will give erroneous readings. In my case it was read as myocardial infarction. When I asked the technician to take note, when placing the EKG electrodes, of my deformed thorax and possible heart rotation the results were normal. Of course the cardiologist could often tell if it was incorrect lead placement.
                          Last edited by Karen Ocker; 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM.
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                            I had that same experience before some of my surgeries though I have a normal stress test. If there is a significant thoracic curve the heart is rotated. When the technician places the EKG electrodes on the chest he/she places them on the chest as if the thorax is normal. However, the computer in the EKG machine will give erroneous readings. In my case it was read as myocardial infarction. When I asked the technician to take note, when placing the EKG electrodes, of my deformed thorax and possible heart rotation the results were normal. Of course the cardiologist could often tell if it was incorrect lead placement.
                            That is interesting Karen, I had never thought of that but it seems very likely that is what happened. They just concluded that the 'blip' on the EKG was normal for me because of my 'condition'....hmm, well here's to future EKG's that are normal with a straighter spine!
                            Spring
                            42 yrs old
                            Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Best of luck Spring!

Greetings from the other side! Wishing you a successful, smooth time of it. PACK YOUR PRUNE JUICE! That issue has NOT been fun today. You must feel relieved that your day is coming right up, I'll be praying for you and sending positive vibes your way!
                              LeighAnn

Comment

Working...
                              X