No announcement yet.

The pop that was hear around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing to hear from you so soon glad all is well.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

• Glad that it went well

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Best of luck for a speedy recovery!
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Post-op day 12, light at the end of the tunnel

Hi all,
          It's been a tough week after going home from the hospital too early and ending up in the ER Wednesday evening for uncontrolled nausea/vomitting and dehydration. The ER staff was wonderful and got me tanked up with a liter of IV fluid and some Phenergan, which has been very helpful in resolving the nausea. I think the worst days are past now, and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am at the point now where I am starting to feel just a little better each day.

I am able to eat lightly now and drink plenty of fluids. I've gotten into trouble with pain several times (including this afternoon) by sleeping past time for my pain meds, so I'm still looking for the ideal med schedule. I am not a fan of how pain meds make me feel and tend to skimp on them, so I guess I still haven't learned my lesson on that. I'm currently taking oxycodone 10 mg 3x/day, flexeril 5 mg 2x/day (morning and night), tylenol 1000 mg 3x/day, Senokot-S laxative, and occasional Miralax. Fortunately my bowels are regulated now and I avoided any major constipation.

I take several brief walks outside in the garden each day, always accompanied by my little dumpling, LuLu (the pug), and the cats. I really loved the beautiful Fall weather this weekend and it made it pleasant to take the airs. My goal this week is to walk about 5-10 minutes, three times per day. I am still pretty exhausted and sleep a lot, with a morning and afternoon nap.

We head back up to Portland in a week, October 12th, to have the stitches removed. I have one 5" vertical incision on the front, and then 3 (!) incisions on my back. There is the large back midline incision as well as two, smaller diagonal incisions that are about 3-4" each, arranged like an arrow. Dr Hart said there was so much scar tissue that he had trouble getting down to everything he needed.
          I'm not quite up to having visitors yet, but I am always happy to get messages or texts. I miss you all and can't wait to be feeling better.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Gayle,
            It's good to hear from you. It sounds like you had a rough time, but the worst is behind you now. I hope you can continue to enjoy your daily walks with beautiful fall weather.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Gayle

Glad to hear that you have past a few of the hurdles of scoliosis surgery recovery. The persistent vomiting can be so painful, and so draining....

Its good to hear that you are on track to normality....

On a side note, I have never known anyone with Pug’s, so upon reading about this breed, I noticed some similarities in that the curved tail is actually a hemi. (Scroll down to serious issues)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pug

I have attached a Pug scoliosis x-ray you might find interesting....so when you walk with Lulu, you be sure to ask her how she is doing, Ok? (smiley face)

Hang in there

Ed
              Attached Files
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Gayle,

Great to see you posting that that you are on the mend.

Best regards,

Sharon
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  Hi all,

I have one 5" vertical incision on the front, and then 3 (!) incisions on my back. There is the large back midline incision as well as two, smaller diagonal incisions that are about 3-4" each, arranged like an arrow. Dr Hart said there was so much scar tissue that he had trouble getting down to everything he needed.
                  Gayle: Sounds like you lost a knife fight! I am glad that you are finally getting a handle on fluid intake, nausea, food intake, and pain management. No matter what you do, it is probably at best a craps shot. Once you figure it out, your body has changed and you need to find another solution. It would also be easier if recovery were linear, but of course, it is not.

Continue to take good care of yourself. I am impressed with your walking. Fresh air always helps. Have you tried sitting outside or better yet, laying down outside on a lounger???

Sending healing messages south, Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Glad that you are feeling slightly better. Continue the walking

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
                      Gayle: Sounds like you lost a knife fight!
                      I like the way Susan put that! Too many battles! On to recovery! You are a trooper! So sorry for the problems of going home too soon and subsequent consequences. That's the pits. How on earth did Ed find a scoli pug x-ray??? (big smile!) Perfect for you! (But so glad Lulu doesn't have that problem!) Yes, it does sound like you are being very pro-active with your recovery efforts. Rest up and mend. Keep us informed. And know that you are in our hearts and (for those who are so inclined) prayers.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Bouts of anxiety/depression

Hi all, I am about 4 weeks now.

I have a friend coming over this morning to see me. Have others had a struggle after surgery with the blues? Any suggestions? Please help with any suggestions. I feel so isolated.
                        Last edited by leahdragonfly; 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM.
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Gayle,

I feel so sorry for you. I do remember feeling the way that you described after one or more of my surgeries. If it was not a Sunday, I would suggest that you call your Doctor, who ever is dealing with the pain meds , and talk to them. If you can hold on, then I would wait until the first thing tomorrow AM and call.

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                            Hi all, I am about 4 weeks out now and have really been struggling with anxiety and depression these last few weeks. It seems like it was brought on or made worse by suddenly cutting my oxycodone dose from 10 mg three times per day to 5 mg three times per day. This seemed to trigger a severe 10+day episode of continuous nausea, poor appetite, extreme exhaustion and fatigue, anxiety, sweats alternating with extreme coldness, poor sleep, and I'm prone to tearfulness with crying several times per day. Now I'm stable on my dose by these troubling symptoms are still cropping up, and I wonder if it's a touch of depression.

I have a friend coming over this morning to see me. Have others had this type of struggle after surgery? Any suggestions? Do I need to run out and find a therapist or ????? Please help with any suggestions. I feel so isolated.
                            Hi Gayle...

I had a very similar experience after my last spine surgery. When I cut down from 2 doses of oxycontin to 1, I had all the same symptoms for a month. As they finally cleared, I stopped taking the drug altogether, and started another month of the same symptoms. The depression was, at times, pretty overwhelming. I started taking a small dose of a mild anti-depressant, and that did help.

Hang in there. It will get better.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Gayle, maybe cut down on the oxycodone slower. Instead of going from 10 TID to 5 TID, maybe something like 10 once/day and 7.5 the other 2 doses, then lowering the 10 to 7.5. Wait a while and lower similarly to a 7.5/5/7.5, etc.

I think that we underappreciate the effect that opiods have on our body.

Meanwhile, be kind to yourself and consider a mild anti-depressant at low dose. Maybe call TanNia and talk with her about a perscription for a mild anti-depressant low dose.

Hugs, Susan
                              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Yes, it happened to me. Along with other symptoms. It was when I was cutting back on my Oxy. I became very tearful and I had bouts of dizziness and nausea as well. I remember ringing my surgeon and as he was unavailable, I cried on the phone to his nurse. She told me that her own mother was recovering from surgery and had had the same symptoms when cutting out her Oxy. Strangely, it made me feel better, just knowing it was normal. It didn't last very long. Hang in there.

Having said that though, if it doesn't improve, definitely see your GP.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X